Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    dream_weaver            02-11-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
Getting ready to install a single 12" in the passenger compartment of my '89 Tri star. Trying to decide what would be the best type of enclosure for my application (sealed/ported/bandpass). Size is not an issue as the box will be placed in a large area behind the port side seat.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Ported will give you the most output with the least power (down to the port freq.)

If you have the room, port it. Otherwise, I'd do a larger sealed box. Bandpass boxes sound like poop. I'd only do bandpass if you have a lot of room, cheaper speakers and lot much power.
Old    sonicr1            02-12-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
I second the ported suggestion... there are programs online that will help you decide the size of the port and the volume of the box ( I used Win ISD Pro). Speakers come with suggestions on their directions, but if you don't use the size box they suggest, then the port size most likely will be differant. Good luck.
Old    wolfpack            02-13-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Sealed clear plexiglass! those boxes rock and you don't have to worry about water.
Old    sonicr1            02-13-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
those things look pretty cool, how thick is the plexy glass??? And you could always design one with a port.
Old    wolfpack            02-13-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
.5", but they do have .75" pro enclosures as well.
Old    dream_weaver            02-13-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
I talked to a guy at a local shop and said just the materials to make a box out of plexi for a 12" sub would run $250. That seems a little ridiculous!
Old    deltahoosier            02-13-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I suggest a bandpass for the passenger side. Part of the reason for a sealed enclosure is sound quality. It gives more midbass and is the least effecient design. I have a sealed in my passenger area, but, wish I had the bandpass. The reason for that is the benifits of the sealed for sound quality are totally defeated by putting it behind all the material. You can get around a 6 db gain in the sound levels between 40 and 90 hz typically with a bandpass depending on it's design. The dual bandpass is the most effecient and can handle the most power due to it's ability to control cone motion. The ported enclosure gives you a 3db gain at the port tuning frequency only and is slightly more effecient that a sealed. For a properly tuned ported encloser is typically 2x the size of a properly designed sealed enclosure and a band pass is larger that both. Basically I have a very strong recommendation on this. DO NOT decide on a driver and a type of box and try to make it fit. If you want a ported box and a proper box is too big to fit, DO NOT change it to fit. You will limit the low end frequencies of the box. You may be better off with a proper sealed enclosure or go down to a 10 inch driver. You will only be disappointed if you try and cheat the space limitations. That is all I have for now. Have fun. I love it when these type of things go boom.
Old    wolfpack            02-16-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
http://www.subthump.com/aplexiglass.htm
Just go for a standard box from here.
Old    morribd            02-16-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I would go with a slotted port box. Its the latest technology, they perform really well. Several friends have built them for their boat and they will outperform just about any other box. I love sealed boxes, but due to the open air area of a boat, you need the ported design to really experience the low end of the spectrum. Most manufacturers (like Alpine) you can call up and they will tell you the exact specs needed for the sub you buy.