Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    wakforce            02-03-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys! We've decided that we've had enough of our sea-doo challenger 1800, and enough of jetboats too... So we've went to a boat show sunday, and there are so many choices we don't quite know what to do... We don't have an infinite amount of cash, but I think we should be able to go in the 25kCAN for a boat...

We're going to let it stay in the water for teh whole summer, pulling it out a few times to clean it, so NO boats with wood or balsa or whatever in it will be considerated... We we're preety much looking at I/O boats, because v-drive or direct drive boats are too expensive

So what we want is something that'll be pretty good for wakeboarding, but still be good for cruises and stuff... We're looking in the 18-19 feet range, anything bigger won't fit in the garage...

So here are our choices for now, if you have any other ideas with what I have said in mind, I'd like to hear it!

Larson SEi 180 I/O

Four Wins 180 Freedom
Four Wins 180 Horizon

Monterey 190 LS

Sting Ray 185 LX Bowrider

Oh and also, we don't really like the boat designs wit the motor in the middle or getting in the passengers seat like the LS bowriders... We prefer the ones with a straight back seat...

I don't think there is anything else... Of course we'll probably fit a monster tower on it, and something that can take weight in it'd be good...

So to all the boating gurus out there, thanks a lot!
Old    opsjmo            02-03-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
I have a '90 Supra Comp Direct Drive I am trying to sell..LEt me know I can email pics..
Old    chris_newrider            02-03-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
I'm no expert, but I looked at the same size/type before I made my purchase a few months ago, so I'll give you my 2 cents.

Take a look at the Glastron GX series. VEC construction means no wood and a lifetime hull warranty. The SX series is also nice and sporty, but the GX has the options we wanted and the gelcoat stripe.

I didn't like the Stingray because of the pointed nose. It had no room to sit in the front of the boat.

Monteray and Four Winns both make nice boats. I have seen a new Four Winns I/O bowrider with a tower installed and it looked nice. Crownline also makes a nice bowrider and I believe they have a tower as an option.

If everything is equal, it really comes down to the dealer. Your dealer needs to be convenient for service and should take care of you every step of the way without pressure.

I went with Glastron because it was the best boat for the money & we as a family liked it the best (and the dealer is great). Mine is a 4.3 I/O. If you stay at 18 - 19ft, the V6 is good. Over 19 feet and I'd opt for the V8.
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-03-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
It does really come down to the dealer IMO as well. ( we are lucky ours is awesome)

VEC hulls are also available on the Four Winns and Larson as they are all part of the Genmar "family".

We purchased a Four Winns (170 Freedom)last year at the boat show and have enjoyed it ever since. We chose the freedom because we did not think that the acc. that came with the horizon were worth the extra $$

The Volvo SX outdrive seems to work great and the 4.3 is pretty good on fuel ( I would definately go with the Fuel injected system )

Our only complaint is that the trailer is single axle and came with Carlisle tires that we have had to replace with less than 1000 miles on them because they kept blowing!!

Also if you are going to add weight I would go with a V8 in a 19ft or larger as the V6 will take a while to get on plane.

It would also be a good idea to narrow it down to a couple and then go for a test ride!

Happy hunting!
Old    wakforce            02-03-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the opinions so far, I'd like to hear some more!
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
I currently own a 2001 Four Winns 180, and it will make a good family boat and a decent wakeboard. It has a decent wake with bags, but it cant hold speed and the bow rises and it is hard to see.

If I could do it over, I would spend a little more money and get a good used inboard. I have my boat for sale for $14,000.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Jean-Phillippe, hey go check out
www.gilligansboats.ca
Check out their inventory on new Bluewaters and the vast inventory of Used boats.
Nice boats! No Wood! Well built!!!
Call Wayne at Gilligans... he will hook you up!!!
Old    ag4ever            02-04-2004, 6:34 AM Reply   
If you are dead set on a new boat, then for your price point I would go with the Four Winns. My wife and I were looking at them, and were were going to buy one in 2000, but decided to wait a little longer before buying a boat. I am glad we did because I love having the prop under the boat away from swimers and skiers. Heck, I just recently bought a wakesurfer, and that is something that can't be done with a i/o. I would seriously consider a used direct drive or a used v-drive just for the safety factor, and the market value. A decent used "ski" boat should be available for the same money you would spend to get a new i/o, and it will hold it's value much better.

So if you must have new get the four winns you won't be dissappointed, but you will be much happier with a used v-drive.
Old    wakforce            02-04-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Thanks again for all the info, it helps!
Old    bobbymucic            02-04-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
I used to own a stingray 586zp (1994). It was about 19 feet, with the 4.3 merc. Wood was used in the construction.

I did pretty much everything I could do to make it the best wakeboard boat possible.
tower
5 blade prop
perfect pass
ballast

It needed weight in the bow to compensate for people sitting on the rear bench. The boat was very fast with the right prop, but it tended to "porpoise" if there was even a little chop. I put on smart-tabs, and the boat planed and handled awesoem, but it messed up the wake for boarding. I ended up making the tabs retractable.

After a few years of use, I sold that boat and bought a used V-drive. My new boat isn't vastly better in any one area than the old boat, but all the little improvements add up:

plusher vinyl, more comfortable seating
better seating for driver and spotter
better holeshot, no trouble planing
nice swim platform and safer propeller placement
wake is bigger and "harder"

I would totally agree that you will be happier with a V-drive. But your size requirement for the garage limits you.

I would get a 19 ft vs an 18, and make sure you get a v6.
Old    wakforce            02-04-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
Why the 5 blade prop over a 4 blade one?
Old    bobbymucic            02-04-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
I tried many different propellers.
5 blade stainless steel (High-five)
4 blade composite (pirhana)
I didn't like the composite because I think I was breaking blades without even hitting things. It may be because I was using ballast.

I never tried an alum 4 blade, but that was going to be my next choice. I think it would perform fine (the 4 blade was close to the 5 blade) and cost much less than the stainless.

I was running pitches of 19-20, with the alpha mercc 4.3.
Old    bross            02-04-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
The best way to go for the money is with a REGAL. Their website is www.regalboats.com. I have spent the last three years of my life on their 24' and 22' model and they are great boats for running around the lake, Lake Powell in my case, wakeboarding, skiing, or just looking good in the marina. You can even order Perfect Pass on the boats direct from the factory. They look great with towers and the layouts and storage are incredible. Take it from one who spends lots of time in many different boats, but chooses to own a REGAL. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old    wakforce            02-05-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
Any other opinions/toughts?
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
Monterey, with the choices you gave us. Hands down best quality. Good luck