Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
Who makes the best trailer tire on the market? What are your experiences with different brands?
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-24-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
My last trailer had carlisle tires and they are pure crap. New trailer has goodyear marathon radials and they are excellent!
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-24-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
yeah dont get carlisle brand tires ive had one blow out on me
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 10:11 PM Reply   
i currently have goodyear marathon radials. only problem i have had was a screw in the tread, right on the edge so nobody would patch it. $125 for a new tire.
Old    grantmi1            06-25-2003, 12:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys
Old    damnation            06-25-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
One more vote for Goodyear Marathon radials and one vote against Carlisle!
Old    grantmi1            06-25-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
I vote for a trailer with houver craft style.
Old    tarbabi            06-25-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
I have Goodyear Marathons on mine and absolutely love them. I just had the tread start to separate on one of mine and it was covered under warranty even though it has been about five years now.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-25-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
I bought 5 (yes 5) yesterday @ Les Schwabb Tires. for $379 out the door mounted,balanced etc...
With road hazard warranty. They are thier own brand anfd they are radial loab range C. I dont know who makes them but they sure ride better than the Carlisle load range B that we threw away.

Rick
Rick
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       06-25-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
I feel the Goodyear Marathons on my tandem axel trailer are the best. They are rated and 2550lbs per tire. I know it might be a little over kill but boats are getting heavier and I trailer with an extra 550lbs of lead. Make sure you get tires rated for more than your boat, tailer, gas & extra gear weight.
Old    jplorenz            06-25-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
Just like Rick I too was at Les Schwab yesterday(greatest tire shop in the west IMO) and bought 5 of their heavy duty trailer tires. I had a Carlisle radial come apart on me while buzzing down I-5 at 70 mph this Monday - not fun. Makes me glad I have a double axle trailer. However, the Carlisle's had many miles on them (4th season with 6 trips to Lake Shasta and we trailer 50-100 miles every time we go out).
Not sure if the tire that blew was just wore out or defective. I hope to have better luck with the Les Schwab tires...
John L. (Oregon)

Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
I had three separate blowouts with carlise tires last weekend going out to the River - No Joke!! Two going (within 50 miles of each other) and one coming back. It cost $470 to get someone out at midnight to replace the two bad tires. I will file a claim and get Goodyear to pick up the tab like I did with my first blow out two months ago. I sure was glad I had them bring two tires since I needed the spare again on the way back. The Extreme dealer was going to get me new tires (Carlise) when I brought it for repairs from the first blow out. He told me to look for a separation tear around the edges. I found one tire like he described and made that my spare so I thought I would be cool. - Wrong! Luckily, I didn't have any damage to the trailer with these blowouts.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
why would goodyeat pay the bill if you're running carlise tires?
Old    damnation            06-26-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Doesn't Goodyear own Carlisle? Isn't it ironic that the same company produces the best tires and the worst tires?
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-26-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
Whats a good price on the Marathons OTD?
$91?
scott
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
carlisle tires in my opinion would be suitable for a light utility trailer used around town only, not worth ruining your vacation over blown tires on the freeway at night or worse.
Extreme trailers use carlisle tires? why would they try to build a high quality trailer and then use carlisle tires? makes no sense to me.
Old    bobbymucic            06-26-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
Are carlisle radials or bias ply the tires that keep blowing on people?

My new (new to me) trailer has carlisle radials, maybe I should be very worried.

I did a little bit of web searching.
Carlisle..lots of problems
Goodyear..less problems
Titan... least problems

This might be simple a result of the number of tires out there...carlisle is a very common trailer tire.

Here is a page I found about carlisle/goodyear reimbursements.

http://forums.casitaclub.com/thread_view.cfm?Thread=4473

Garrett, sucks about the tires..again. You should have gone to roach's party.
Good luck moving this weekend, we'll miss you in mexico.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2003, 5:13 PM Reply   
I'm getting 5 new Goodyear Marathon's on my trailer. One of my tires has a crack all the way around where the tread meets the sidewall of the tire so I decided I'm just going to replace them all. The current tires are bias ply. I'm getting ST205/75R-14, c load rating. Tires, mount, balance, tax, out the door- $500.00. I could of got them cheaper, but I would have had to order them. I'm leaving on a trip next Thursday so I don't have much time. Thanks for all the help
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
Bobby,

It is not a numbers thing. Carlisle's are an inferior product. I had to replace all four tires, because I had two tread separations within a week of one another. The tires were only two years old with very little miles on them. Somewhere in the archives is a thread with many people having similar problems with tires that were less than a year old. And we are talking about the radial class C tires.
Old    bobbymucic            06-26-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
Thanks Troy.

I may upgrade to titan trailer tires. I believe that they have a higher load range (D or E).

Todd, sounds like the $500 bucks will buy you great piece of mind. I too will drop the cash right before towing the boat out to powell.

Thanks all for the info.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
i heard the problems with carlisle tires were all out west, has anyone on the east coast had a tire problem with carlisle's?? Ive got them and havent had any problems yet?? I havent done any long trips to really heat them up yet though??
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
Goodyear does own Carlisle. There were very prompt in reimbursing me for the damage done to the trailer. I assume they don't want a Firestone debacle. I hope they are as responsive this time. I agree the Extreme shoulde use a better tire for the larger boats. Extreme has been very good to deal with. Tony has been great there.