Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    bobbymucic            06-04-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
Instead of a used VLX I am condsidering a new Snager V210.

Whaddya all think? good idea?

Anyone know ~msrp, with tower and pp pro.

Thanks
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
Absolutely!!! The Snager V-210 is very similar to the Sanger V-210 in it's wakeshape, space, ride, etc. J/k!

I can tell you this in all honesty.. everytime I get into someone elses boat and ride for the day, I can't wait to get into my V-210. I can only evaluate what I have been in...given the choice? I'd still grab a V-210.. maybe a V-230.
Call it ownership goggles if you choose, but, for every 1 no-so-good-thing about the V-210, I can name off 10 great things.

MSRP? you should be able to grab one up with those options for VERY low 30's, perhaps high 20's. You won't be disappointed.

B-
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
BTW, if you're ever in our area look me up. You can spend a day in mine and you'll see what I mean. Also, Semper speed and Marine has the best prices/customer service in CA on Sangers.. call the guy, he's awesome.

Semper Speed & Marine
Mark Semper
559-436-1888

Tell him Shawn sent ya!! wait, maybe ya shouldn't.. he may charge ya more.

B-
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-04-2003, 10:01 PM Reply   
Bobby,

Excellent idea. Sangers are built very well (1 by 1, no mass production). They are also very underrated.

Underrated in....

1. Wake (It's size, shape, hardness are hard to match)

2. Drive (Very responsive, handles weight superbly)

3. interior (They have updated it but my dad's 98 has a nicer inteior than most new boats i ride in)

4. Storage (Tons especially for a boat its size, 20'8" 90" beam)

5. Value (can't beat it, new or used)

6. Hull (They do not change it for a reason, it responds to weighting very well)

When compared to a VLX, the VLX has a higher freeboard so you feel safer and some people say that Sangers sit too low in the water, if you know how to drive and handle your boat properly this issue is non-existant.
Both boats have tons of storage they are very close i would unbiasly give the edge to a v-210, i think it was a tad bit more and the storage is more accessable.
Both boats have great interiors, Malibu has come a long way and have a near perfect interior. It is hard to complain about the V-210s interior also.
Wake- VLX takes a lot of weight to get big, and even more to get crazy big. From what I have experienced, heard, and read a VLX will take about 1,000lbs more ballast(not wedge) to get the same size wake.

V-210 and VLX are both great and you will be amped with either one.

Here are a bunch of random v-210 pictures for visual stimulation.

Also, this comparison was of the V-210 and VLX, I would recommend taking a look at the v-230, real nice boat, more storage and space and I heard its running on the same hull (just bigger) so it should kick a great wake.

-Evan

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-04-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
hey evan what's happenin'?

barry- skated tonight-awesome.
cannot say enough about our v210. on top of everything they said above, it is the best rough water ride-bar none...

i think the msrp is around 38-39 fully loaded, but you can find them for much less.
Old    bobbymucic            06-04-2003, 10:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input in such a short time.

I thought I was set on a vlx, but there are so many pluses to Sangers.

My earlier concerns were the curved engine cover/sundeck. But I think recent posts have put me over that. Owners have said is isn't a big deal at all.

I was also initially concerned about the ride in rough water and the feeboard depth. I am not so concerned about the ride anymore because of the construction quality and other posts I have heard.

I just sold my i/o, and the mechanic who did a ton of work on it prior, highly recommended Sanger. Another buddy who has ridden behind lots of boats thinks Sangers are great all around.

However, it is hard to gauge what Sangers are worth in terms of out the door price and resale value. There is so much info about Malibu and Natique (my other strong considerations). But those boats are expensive. (Malibu vlx used to a good deal).

I'm rambling a bit..too much beer at tonight's dodger game...

my last rambling..
used 2002 VLX 36-40k
used 2001 sunsetter 33k-36k
new sanger v-210 ~36k

great wake, good ride, excellent quality

trade-off lower freeboard and curved engine hatch..not a big deal

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'm sure you'll enjoy either boat. I figured since you go house boating at Lake Powell, the low free board would be a bigger conern. I now that lake can get pretty rough at times.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Bobby- Regarding freeboard. Look at the lifegaurd boats at Castaic, especially the stern. Those are called Radons. They run those off shore all up and down the west coast all year round saving lives. If you are running in reverse, into the wind it may be a concern. If not, I think its not an issue.
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Ty,

Just chillin. Trying to get through finals here at UCSB so I can go back to the deta and get behind my (DADS) Sanger.

Bobby, the only time I have been concerned with the freeboard is when my friend and I were out on lake Almanor when the wind suddenly picked up and created some large rollers. The reason why I was concerned is becasue we had so much ballast in the boat that the water was up to the rear grab rail. It was funny, before the wind picked up on of my friends could not get his bindings on because the water kept washing the lube away, the only part of his binding above water was the front fingerholes and rear pull strap.

If you distribut the weight evenly throughout the boat it really doesn't sit too low, here is a pic with about 1,700 (800 front 500 mid 400 rear

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I concur (great line from catch me if you can).

The Sanger is a great boat.
I think the wake is more vertical than the VLX.
Something I prefer (when my knee works).

The only negatives in my mind are:
1) low freeboard.
2) humped sundeck.
3) wood construction and a 2 year transfer limit on the warranty.

I know nothing about the automatic ballast setup. How is that?

Also, what towers do you get to choose from?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
evan,
great air you're geting there. you a big voleyball player.
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Ty,
Thanks its not hard when your behind a V-210

I only have 2 weeks in NorCal before I fly out to OTC in Colorado Springs and train for 2 months.

Its gonna be hard not being able to ride most the summer.

-Evan
Old    wakelvr            06-05-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
I have a question for all you Sanger owners. Are they still calling the Sanger D-drive the "SangAIR"? If the V210 is their most prominent wakeboarding boat, why didn't or don't they name the V-210 the SangAIR? I definitely see more V-210's than I do SangeAIR's. And I really like that name... SangAIR!

We priced out the V-210 before we bought the X2 and found that they had really gone up in price and was pretty competetive to some of the other boats out there.... The price they were quoting us was about 10-15 grand more than what Barry stated! Man, if what you say is true Barry, then the V210 is an amazing deal. Sangers are great boats!!!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
the wake air is the dd with the ballast package. the v210 also comes in the wake edition. the only difference is the ballast sytem. i agree though, i do like the sangair name.
Old    bobbymucic            06-05-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Barry,

Semper Marine has some decked out Sangers listed on boattraderonline. He is asking for 40k on many of them. I just sent him an email.

I am heading to the local Sanger dealer this afternoon. I don't think it will be a cheap as I hoped either.

Props to Barry and especially Chris Neelley for helping me out.. Maybe I'll get to join their club..
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
I know the local dealer here in town had 2 on the floor without towers but with the scorp engines. i will call for you and see if he still has them. they were 36k if i remeber correctly.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
Stefani,
Here's the break-down on my '03:
PP
Proflight
Board racks
Ballast
Bimini
Grafix package
Those are the majors.. there were a few minor things that I can't think of.

I paid just over 32,000(boat price) for mine.. Darren Yearsley is purchasing one and having it shipped over-seas as we speak. When I talked to Mark about it, he said he could sell him a basic V-210 for high 20's... if he wanted the tower/pp/ballast/etc.. it would be in the low 30's. I'm not sure where you priced the boat, but mid-40's is a bit high.
I know the Sanger's have gone up in price in the last year.. but I can't see them going up 15k.

I've heard more then one person say that Mark has the best prices on Sanger's by far.

B-
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with Mark..
He said that depending on the options, you could be correct, but he said it still sounds a bit high. Mark said the most expensive V-210 he sold was completely loaded, including some super-duper custom stuff for about 43k.
The moral of the story: In order to be accurate we'd need to compare apples with apples(duh!). It appears that the options *can* add up very quickly and put you into the high 30's/low 40's.. but still, 45k is high.

Bobby, if you're serious about a V-210 call Mark.

B-
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
Bob,

drop me a line. our local dealer here has a v210 with the 315 hp mpi merc, pro flight tower, ballast system, wave graphics, and integrated bimini. Killer boat and they are asking 36k. call devin at 831-443-1616. this would be worth the drive...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Waiting for production, waiting, waiting, waiting! Lucky its winter here.

I could have got a New VLX, X-2, or 20V for similar price as to what I've paid for the Sanger, (Sanger is ~5% cheaper) but Barry talked me into it, J/K. I wanted something different & Sangers look bad ass & have one hell of a reputation.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
you made a good choice...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
Uh-oh... what did I go and do this time?
Darren, you sound like my wife!

B-
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
bob you there?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
We just had the boatshow here & got to check out the x-2 & tige' 20v for the first time in person (I have been in & out of the VLX many times), no regrets about ordering the Sanger.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
Oh and theres another price increase coming in July.
Old    bobbymucic            06-05-2003, 5:45 PM Reply   
Ty, thanks for the info..I am definitely not interested in the 315 mpi.

Barry, I did send and email to Mark Semper today.

I think I am back to square one though...here's why..

So I went up to Boat Center, the local Sanger
Dealer. We didn't talk price much at all, I just went to check out the interior of the boat.

My impressions on the V210:
Very nice driver setup. I like the seat and layout.
The sunpad with the black scorp appears flat enough for me. I didn't really like the 315 HP MPI's look.
Storage areas were nice, lots of coolers built in, but not much room on the floor for a cooler.
Bow area seems cramped; can two adults kick back up there? I don't think there is much room for speakers to be installed up there either.

Wrap around seating felt roomy, but I think I would feel exposed with the low gunnells, same thing regarding the sitting in the bow.

These interior issues actually mean a lot to me because I typically head out with at least 8 people.

I would probably consider the V230 over the v210 just because the interior feels more like a runabout that I am used to.

So I am not yet sold on the Sanger as the boat for me. I'll probably ride behind one this weekend, and I bet I'll love the wake..but it isn't all about the wake for me. Price may not be as big as an issue since it sounds like ~36 is where it would happen, and the 01 and 02 boats are close to that.

I'll keep everyone posted..thanks for the help..
Old    tmas            06-05-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
my v210 is such an amazing boat. the kids love wakeboarding behind it. in fact my sons buddy says its the best wake he has been able to ride. i have a 2003. call mark semper at semper marine great guy..559-436-1888. good luck
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
I was looking at either getting a V210 or V230 from Mark at Semper Marine. I also looked into the X2 and SAN. I ended up with a '03 VLX.

Sangers are awsome boats, nice interior, awsome price and the wake gets very vertical pretty easy. I like more of a rampier wake thats why I went with the VLX. But, I have rode behind many V210's and they buck you. Awsome wakes, awsome boats.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
the sun pad is definately not an issue. look at the previous postign on it.
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-06-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Bennett,

You were looking to buy all those boats and you are only 17?

C'mon, give some love to your pops for throwing down money on a sick you can enjoy.

-Evan
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-06-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
*sick boat
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-06-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Evan,

Okay, okay. I got to pick the boat, but daddy pays for it :-) It works out nice. You will enjoy any of the top wakeboard boats. All quality boats.
Old    captain            06-06-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
Bennett,

What sold you on the VLX? Why did you sell your Centerion DD?

Just curious
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-06-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Multiple reasons. My dad wanted a newer boat, and being in a 99 D-Drive, he wanted to upgrade to a v-drive. We looked at the Sangers, but after riding behind a vlx at camp I fell in love with the wake.

Other reasons include: wanted a tower on the centurion w/speakers/light bar/racsk, wanted perfect pass because we had problems keepipng speed, so he figured why not get a new one and finance it all in. The B-530's are backorderd for days. The subs and ambs were installed today.

Take care.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
Boat will be ready for dispatch in the first week of July, Yippie!