Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
any one know any reason whats up with this...now bear with me im just a contractor...The paint is peeling off both manifolds..and only from the two center cylnders...It seems petty but if i clean the bilge and the motor gets wet then i get rust stains in the bilge...the boat has just 20 hours on it

(Message edited by macdaddy on July 21, 2004)
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2004, 7:04 PM Reply   
Surely the dealer will help you out with this, I would call them. I have a malibu, so I'm not to farmiliar with what your talking about. If mine are painted I was unaware of it. Mine are black, are yours a color?
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
wtf
pic
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
ok, i see what you're talking about. If I were you I would definetely take it to the dealer to get it fixed since its brand new. None of my boats have ever done that.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
hahahhahahahahaha

try some high heat paint.

They probably didn't prep it properly at the factroy, and the heat is causing the contaminents to keep the paint from sticking to the metal.

I had it happen with my old car. Had to really wipe down the headers to get teh paint to stick.

Try to wire brush it off and then use laquer thinner to clean it. Then paint with either 500 or 1200 degree paint. The 500 will probably be fine and it comes in more color options, like if you wanted to change the motor color to grabber green!!!
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2004, 7:18 PM Reply   
both manifolds...same place...only the middle??
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
all good things are pink in the middle.

I don't know why it is doing it there, but you might want to fix it, or stop getting it wet!

I wouldn't want my brand new boat looking all ghetto with rust stains in the bilge, or even chip crumbs on the carpet for that matter!!

Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
hey luke that sounds like a plan...come over after work...you, me,alot of tequela, my new boat and some cans of spraypaint...not to forget the wire brush you use to clean your teeth!!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Don't you contractors go to sleep early??

I won't get out of here till after 9:00. If you want I'll stop by, but you need to go pick up the supplies at Autozone. Not kragen, cause jesse james doesn't represent them they must not have good stuff.

500` gloss black paint
1 wire brush
laquer thinner or acetone
hella newspaper to stop overspray!!
and some of those girlie drinks you like so much!
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
i decided to pull them off and get them powdercoated...does anyone know if this aera gets to hot for powdercoating??
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Since the boat is new I would take it to a good dealer and have them make sure that it is not running too lean. The gas/air mixture can make significant differences in exhaust temperatures.

Most hot rodders aluminize headers instead of painting or powder coating due to the heat.

Paint flaking near the exhaust exit is common.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
hey mike what do you know about jet coating???
Old    blr            07-22-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
I can tell you from my experience I would use jet-hot orsimilar jet coating if you are dealing with exhaust or other components that get extremely hot. I have jet-hot on my headers and my intake manifold on my race care and it has performed falwlessly, even helps things cool faster. I also have a ton of powdercoating on the same car and I am less than fully impressed. Yes it is better than paint, but no where close to damage proof. jst my .02
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
Jude,
Unfortunately I know very little about the coatings but it looks like BR provided some great input.

More importantly the flaking paint may be telling you something about your motor that you should not ignore,
lean mix -> high temp in cyl. -> engine failure. When I said that paint flaking is common I didn't realize that you had only 20 hours on it.
Old    clint_h            07-22-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
I've got and 03 X9 that did the same thing over the winter. Let me know what your dealer says.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
the dealer and mymastercraft.com both said the saim thing. they say it just happens there is no water jacket that low in the manifold...i am taking the boat to a outside repair place for my 20 hour service and will have him check for a lean mix...as for the repair i did decide to get then jetcoated. i am going to pull the manifolds and risers off as soon as i get back from vacation..Br thanks for the advice. I do wish i could powdercoat them i like the gloss black look. jetcoating only comes silver or flat black
$250 to sandblast and jetcoat all 4 peices
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-23-2004, 4:14 AM Reply   
Almost all Indmar engines do that very soon after the first run. I have seen it happen in as little as two hours.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2004, 5:22 AM Reply   
The two cylinders in the middle of small block Chevy V8s are Siamesed, so that area gets hotter than the rest of the exhaust manifold. The same thing happened on my Indmar.

I've never heard of a problem because the paint peeled there, but I'm curious whether anyone has experienced or seen a marine exhaust manifold rust through from the outside.