Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (dixiebmxer)      Join Date: May 2009       08-06-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
So I woke up this morning with yellow gunk flowing out of my ear. I am pretty sure it is an ear infection. I do not want go go to the doctor. What do they do to treat an ear infection? I have some left over anti-biotics from when I had strept throat.

How often do you get ear infections?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Go to the doctor. You most likely need antibiotics, but taking a few left over can end up making your infection worse. The fact that you have yellow gunk coming out of your ear indicates that the infection is advanced to the point of needing immediate treatment.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-06-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Go to the doctor asap. Ear infections are no joke. When i was in middle school i had bad ear infections in both ears, to the point that i was running a fever and throwing up. I ended up spending a night in the hospital hooked up to an iv. More than likely they will give you some drops for them, if its bad enough they might put a wick in it to help the meds get down in there easier.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-06-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
if you already have yellow gunk flowing out of your ear then i'm not quite sure why you're not a screaming mess from the pain already, and not queuing at the drs!! they will give you antibiotic ear drops. don't mess around with it. you could lose your hearing if you don't take it seriously.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
You definitely need ear drops. Not just antibiotic pills. I get swimmers ear a couple of times a summer but I have never had anything draining out. Go to the doctor. Do not pass go. Do not pay 200 dollars.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-06-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
I am sure he will pay more than $200...........but go to the doc foo!!!
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-06-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
i just got over a serious ear infection, deep inner ear in my left and mid canal in my right. they had to use a wick in the left ear and gave me a ton of ear drops to use and amoxicillin. I took a lot of advil in the process as well for the pain. Doctor is the right choice for sure, i ended up having to go twice for it. just get it done right and dont mess around with it, even if it costs
Old     (dixiebmxer)      Join Date: May 2009       08-07-2009, 4:59 AM Reply   
So the pain got so unbearable I went to the ER at 3 am this morning. Severe ear infection..... They gave me antibiotics and pain killers. I cant even hear out of that ear right now.

I think I would take 3 stingers in a row before this.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-07-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
I've found a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and alcohol prevent most of my ear infections.

I started getting them more often when I ride in dirty water and as I aged.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-07-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
shredhead, your right on. Vinegar kills the bacteria and alcohol helps dry things up. Works great for External Otitis, infection of just the ear canal. Don't use them if you think you have perforated your ear drum. If you aren't sure, you'll definately know as soon as you put the first drops in.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
I would go the doctor soon and don't bother with homeopathic stuff and home remedies. I was in the ER a week ago and the kid next to me read up on google that putting urine in your ears cured an ear infection. He did and he ended up in the ER.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-07-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Chaser - No kidding. I just cringe thinking about putting alcohol into an ear that has been perforated. I've done it once, and I pray that I never do it again.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-09-2009, 12:42 AM Reply   
Tony sorry to hear it got so bad. Any idea which riding location you think you developed the ear infection from? Not that it really matters, since it can happen anywhere, just curious.
Old     (dixiebmxer)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
No idea skubz. I ride alot of places. I prob will not be on the water for a couple of weeks.