Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-03-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
I am looking for a window tinting shop that is in the Bay Area that does a good job on boats. I live is Santa Cruz County. I have been told that it is very hard to tint boat wind shield due to the curvature of the window. I was quoted $350. from one shop and he even told be he can't promise it will look good. That sounded like a rip off from the get go. My new 06 VLX is finished and should be shipped real soon.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   

Brannon - call Cartronics/A shade darker in Santa Rosa they will do it & they do a great job but its gonna set ya back about $500.00 or so.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
That seems pretty steep for just a boat windshield. They charge 150 for a car windshield here in michigan but i guess everything is twice as expensive in cali.
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-04-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
paid 400.00 in Sacramento. It looks great. Check out the pic on my profile
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-04-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Mr Smith, thanks for the info, but Santa Rosa is farther that I think I want to go. Who knows that is what I might have to do if I can't find any closer shops. I will keep it in mind.

Evan how dark tint did you get? It looks good. Do you have any problems seeing through it?

Brannon
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-04-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Brannon, check out California auto tinting and polishing in Campbell which is right off hwy 17's camden ave exit. It's a high end shop That does cars and boats at which I see everything from ferrari's to nautiques. They're location is 130 e.sunnyoaks ave (408)370-9399 Hope this helps!
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-04-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I'm not real sure what the number is but I will probably go a little lighter on my next boat. It is a litte tough to see at dusk; but I am 6'4" and see over the window with my flip up seat. I do like the way it looks going dark though.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-04-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Brannon check this place out its called AUTO IMAGE in Belmont (650) 631-0559 he tinted the windows in my boat, he tried to do it in one piece but he couldnt so the curved window has a small slit IMO it doesnt look bad. The tint is 35%.

OHH and another thing its hard to tint the windows while in the boat so I took the windshild out, and he gave me a price break. this was back in May of last year. This guy does excellent work, no bubbles in the film. Try him out. His tinting prices are really reasonable

tinted windshield

Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
^ it may just be me but that looked good until i saw the part where the film is joined together jeff stammer here in sr charged 500 but it is worth every penny ive seen where they dont take the windshield frame off and there is gaps in the tint between it and the frame which looks like a$$ ive even seen a tint guy put black pin stripe tape over the gap if you get a tint job for cheap, thats exactly what you will get a cheap tint job.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I used Auto Image in Belmot as well. They did my wifes IS 300 with 7 windows total it cost's $400. They did a Great job. Auto Sounds in Redwood City did my Lighting 2 window's $80 and my Harley with 2 windows $80
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Worm were should we go to get it done right?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-04-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Cartronics-Overpriced,piss poor service,since Julian left.IMO.

A Shade Darker,did my boat,and both my trucks,and wifes Subaru,at a good price.No BS or excuses,unlike above establishment.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
ill call you tonight after work and give you the guys # joe.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-04-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the info. I talked to a guy here in Santa Cruz, he does alot of the car dealership cars here in town as well as the public. He told me that he has done alot of boats in the past and thinks it will be no problem. He even said he would come over my house and look at it and possible do it at my home. He told me it would be around $300. and $400. He as done two of my brother in laws vehicles and seems real good. I still have a week or two until the boat is ready for pick up anyways.

Supreme Rob thanks for your contact as well. I am going to also give him a call. Thats close for me as well. Thanks

George was it hard to take the wind shield off, because that may make things alot easier for me as well.

Evan thank for telling me you would go lighter on your next boat. I was thinking about makeing it pretty dark until you told me that.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-04-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Brannon: taking the windshield is really easy, theres like 14 screws and three of those have a nut, so you would need access under your dash and hold the nut in place so you can unscrew it completly.

I really liked taking in the windshiled alot better than hauling a brand new boat to the shop. Who knows what could happen, besides you dont want any curious feet stepping in the boat or nevertheless leave footprints on the trailer.
if you need help taking the windshield out, I can walk you through the process. (if you decide to go that way).

Good luck
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
A Shade Darker in Santa Rosa. Did both my boat and truck, best job i have seen.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
does anyone have a pic with mirror tint??? just want to see that...

but brannadon i have an inexpensive solution ... SUNGLASSES!!!! hahahahahah