Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
Anyone make their own. I'm tired of buying a new one every week. Drunk friends make terrible flag holders.

Just curious where the best place is to buy the materials. I was just going to use small plastic piping from home depot for the rod but couldn't think of a good place to find flag material.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
For 5 or 6 $, or free at teh right places, i hardly think it would be worth the time. Make your drunk friends buy them, or make a float for teh next one
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 11:08 PM Reply   
its not so much the money as it is being caught without a flag and having to use a towel or vest. I just wanna make like 10 of them and keep a few in the boat.
Old    nwwakerider            07-01-2008, 12:01 AM Reply   
I have spent so much money on flags. I just stopped using them. My lake is never busy so I just saw screw it. My friends would drop them out of the boat or sit on them and break the wood.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-01-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
We seem to have an endless supply of free flags and you can't open something on our boat without finding one. Board shops, fuel islands, coast guard dock-walkers, etc are always handing them out.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-01-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
mikey i made my own at the beginning of the season because our lake has special rules about flags. (must be red not orange, can't have any designs or markings, and can't be the suction cup kind, and must be fixed to something...can't be held by a person.)

You need:

1 36 or 48 inch wood rod from ACE ($2.00)
2 16 x 16 inch red cloth from Walmart ($0.88)
3 Staple gun and staples ($12)

if you have a flag holder already you are set. otherwise you can make one. there are a thousand ways to make one depending on what works best for your boat.

on my Malibu there is a cushion in the front bow nose that lifts up. I have a PVC pipe with a hole cut in that the wooden flag rod fits into. PVC pipe is filled with sand (in ziplock bags) so it doesn't move around. flag fits under the port side cushion in front. cushions go back on and you don't even know its there. as long as you put it up when you are done, you won't lose this one. its not like the little light suction cup ones that blow away.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
ok, I'll be the guy who says it, can you say Construction Site?? You can also buy them for $3.49 per dozen from American traffic and barricade!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
If your having trouble with drunk friends loosing them, strap a lanyard on the end and make them wrap it around their wrist.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-01-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
we had an old tent that ripped. So we used the carbon fiber tent pole sections as sticks. Mom made like five orange flags. Set the last one on fire last time at powell(long story). She also made one of the old hippie flags that is the American flag with the Peace sign in the stars patch. Not my thing, but cool and turned out well.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I'll try Tj's idea. Theres a walmart near the house.

Thanks Tj. I already have a flag holder mounted on the tower. Thats actually part of the problem, it always gets left up there when we take off.

Nate, I have never seen any free flags being given away. I guess I'll keep an eye out for them.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-01-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
My WakeWorld flag is way too nice to lose or destroy.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-01-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
The handle on our WW flag didn't last long.

Who made those up, was it wakejunky.com?