Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-04-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
I ride goffy foot. last weekend I rode hard on sat and easy on sunday my right hip is vary sore any help would be nice what am I doing wrong?

scott
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-05-2003, 5:00 AM Reply   
Scott you are getting old like me! Try to switch it up. Try to ride left foot forward as much as right foot forward. Don't take your jumps out into the flats. W2W is much easier on the joints. If you want to go bigger, make your rope longer so that you will still be landing on the downside of the other wake. If you are not quite clearing the wake or just landing hard try landing with soft (bent) knees. Kinda like if you were to jump off of a chair, how you would bend your legs to absorb the shock.

Hope this helps, if not talk to your doctor. I had a torn cartilage in my hip.
Old    chip_boarder            09-05-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
I agree with Greg. You have got to ride switch. It keeps your body in balance. Stretching might not hurt either. The older you get the more we need to take care of ourselves.
Old    stormrider            09-05-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I'm 43 years old and ride 2-4 times a week, 1-1.5 hours a day. Figure tower high or thereabouts heelside, toeside (don't ask!!). Used to ride a Trips balsa 138 with 01 Belmonts. My knees would feel like they were burning midsession and would be sore for days after. My hip on my landing leg felt sore and ached as well. Here's what I changed: I used to ride rear foot back more than front foot forward-- like this: \--!. I changed to this \--/ and evenly balanced. Learned this test from a thread a few months back: stand and jump up as high as you can then land: how are your feet positioned? For me it was legs about shoulder width apart and feet ducked out. Greg notes this as well. When I landed feet straight forward or more on one leg there was pain in my knees and/or hip.

I also switched to the CWB Zues with the CWB Absolute 140 board. Incredibly soft landings. When I case the wake, I feel like I'm landing on sponges. Landings in the flats are no problem. Landing the trips and I felt like I was getting slammed, in comparison. Little or no hip/knee pain now.

Greg also points something else out: land knees soft. Land straight leg and things get a little whacked. My knees "unlock" on a jump if I hit the wake, or "pop" it right.

Riding more should help get your hip "in shape" that is if you don't ride a lot already.

Anyway, good luck. Just know there are options.