Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-01-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
History:
Started wakeboarding last year basically, and had a lot of trouble with my left arm just dislocating the whole time, so in July I went for bankart surgery, and this year I moved to Germany to start wakeboarding more. After starting to wakeboard a lot, several hours a day many consecutive days and not many breaks, I started to get problems that made me almost unable to ride. First came inside elbow pain, then came wrist pain, but this all went by..

Problem:
Now my problem has for months been my right elbow. After riding for a bit i get pretty severe pain. It feels like it is on the outside it feels like it runs with the nerve on the outside of the elbow both toward my hand and the other way. Till now it has been so that if I take a break for 2-3 days, I am able to ride 1-2 days without pain, and next day the pain is back. This all depends on how hard I ride though, and if I jib or do airtricks or so.

What I tried:
Went to the physio as the pain started, and they massaged the area where I feel pain, gave me electro therapy and stuff like 10 times now, but still, the problem reoccurs when I ride more than a little bit.

I guess some of you may have suffered(or still do) from this stuff, so I hope you have some input!?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
I struggled with this for years, but I have the easiest answer in the world.

Find a 2ft loop of poly ski rope (or make one for $1 from the hardware store) and put it directly in front of your handle. You may want to take an advil before you ride for the next few weeks until the injury heals, but trust me, this will solve the problem. The shock from the stiff line is causing your tendonitis. The short link absorbs the shock, but is not enough that you will feel the stretch when riding.

I've seen this work 100 times.

I no longer have a link in my line, but have given up pure spectra lines (usually the coated ones) for a dyneema blend. Dyneema blends are softer, less expensive, and lasts much longer.

Last edited by skiboarder; 06-01-2011 at 8:25 AM.
Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-01-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice man, but I only ride cable park, sorry I forgot to mention! Other suggestions?
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-01-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
2-3 wraps of electrical tape forward of the elbow... fixed me.
Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-01-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
Hmm yeah that actually could help, blocking off the nerve. I order one of those tennis elbow supports now and give it a go. Hopefully it works.

Any other suggestions are still appreciated.