Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-14-2003, 9:45 AM Reply   
We went out in our friends new X-2 yesterday. I noticed that in reverse it backs up to the left. I checked on Acme's website and it say's that it has a Left hand propeller. My Alpina had a left hand propeller also but it backed up to the right.

So my ? is.

What type of boat do you have and which direction does your boat back up?

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
'03 Centurion with Acme 3 blade, backs to the right.
Old    tclagggym            04-14-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
My SAN03 backs to left, and my Sanger DLX backs to the right.

Tim
Old    xrated            04-14-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
2001 Tige vdrive backs to the right. sort of.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-14-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
02 wakesetter lxi backs to the right.
Old    cws_kahuna            04-14-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
01 Mobius I believe it goes right
Old    gotpwr            04-14-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
'00 Air Nautique, backs to the left.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
98 MC Maristar. Cutter 4 blade prop. backs to the right.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
00 MB Sport B52 backs to the right
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-14-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
02 X-star backs to the right
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
V-210.. Right.

B-
Old     (jess)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
03 X-2, backs to the right.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
90 Prostar backs to the right. I've never heard of an MC backing to the left???
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
Well,Travis is referring to my X2. I talked with the dealer this morning about it and he said that MC produced a small number of these this year in response to some rudder problem previous MC's had. He said I could change the direction of the prop if I wished. He did indicate that the wake might be a bit more sensitive to weight imbalance this way, so I might have him change it if I am unhappy with it down the road.

However, I kind of like having a unique boat. It just takes a little getting used to. I will let you know if there is a performance difference after I have been out in the boat a few times.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
2001 Toyota S22
Backs to the right.
Nautiques are the only RH props.

When I first got my boat is was a windy day
and the damn boat would only back to the left.
I went crazy looking in the manual and online
to figure out why. By all the documentation
it should have backed to the right.
Next time I went out I was strangley suprised
that it backed to the right this time. I figured
it must have been the wind.

Travis, was it windy or were you in a current?
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
the x 2 shouldnt back to the left. it was probably windy or there was a current. im pretty sure only CC should go yhe wrong way.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
No wind, no current. It really backs to the left. I don't think its really that big of a deal. However,if there is some mechanical risk I am running by owning a mastercraft that reverses to the left, I would really like to know. Any responses would be appreciated.
Old    fun9c1            04-14-2003, 3:52 PM Reply   
'86 nautique, rh prop, backs to the left. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the prop rotation is the only variable, right? A rh prop will back to the left and a lh prop will back to the right, right?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-14-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
Todd I think the shorter rudder is the culprit. Nothing to worry about just something to get use to.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    sprucie            04-14-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
X10, Right
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-15-2003, 4:08 AM Reply   
All the nautiques weve owned have reversed to the left(compared to malibus and like) I asked the dealer from nautiques and he said that they were designed that way to counterweight the twist a boat gets when it reverses, to keep it level. The driver is on the right so as it twists left the weight helps the nautique stay level, in boats that reverse right it will dip to the drivers side.
Old    ridinhigh            04-15-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
2002 Air Nautique, Left

Actually it pretty much goes straight which is a pain when trying to turn around in a tight spot. Those are the times I miss my ole' Ski Ray that pulled heavily to the right in reverse.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-15-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Todd-
The only risk is having another driver that expects the boat to reverse right...and running into a Dock, trailer, or other fixed object!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
This may completely stupid, but wouldn't just re-propping a boat from a left hand to a right hand propeller make it go backwards in foward gear and vice versa? Or can the tranny somehow be reversed too?

I was under the impression that the shaft and all on the CCs spun in the opposite direction of most other manufacturerers'?
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-15-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Fredrik- you are correct, CCs have a gear reduction in the transmission that spins the propshaft in the opposite direction of other boats, thus the left hand reverse.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-15-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
I belieive the difference in shaft/prop rotation is a difference in the transmission pump, not an additional gear. I was told by a transmission shop that you can conceivably change the direction of the prop rotation by swithcing the trans pump over.

My dealer (CC) had a boat in the shop last year that was having the transmission replaced because the owner's son used a prop from a Mastercraft after damaging the CC prop. He ran it around for the day by using reverse to go forward and burned up the transmission.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-16-2003, 6:11 PM Reply   
Shawn:

I am not surprised your dealer's son burn up the transmission using an opposite hand prop and reverse. The clutch plates for reverse are only a fraction of what the forward clutch plates are! There is no way that the reverse clutch would survive for very long.

As for the right hand vs left hand discussion: A V-drive will reverse the direction of rotation, but the transmission will not. If the manufacturer wants to spin the prop the opposite direction they get an engine that rotates the opposite direction. That conversion is basically a different starter, camshaft, and how you plumb the raw water pump.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-17-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
Nautiques back both directions. Of course they tend to go more to port. MC I can get to go straight and to starboard only. Malibu...to starboard.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-17-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
01 Supra Launch SSV right
Old    fun9c1            04-17-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Peter, the only time my Nautique will back to the right is if I crank the wheel ALL the way to the right, after about 50 ft, it will slowly start to go to the right.

I'll say again what I said over 10 posts ago- a rh prop will back to the left and a lh prop will back to the right.
Old    fun9c1            04-17-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
My above post is just a theory I forgot to say... I'd be interested to be proven wrong and why...
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-17-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
1999 X-Star - backs to the right
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-21-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
Rod,
I may be wrong, but I thought all the Indmar and PCM motors are left-hand rotation (like a standard car motor). If that is true, the difference in the prop rotation between the different manufacturers is in the transmission (for DD boats) and trans or v-drive (for V-drives). If I'm wrong, are the correct craft motors opposite rotation compared to the MC or Malibus?? A friend that owns a trans shop swears that you can change the pump and get the rotation to reverse. Seems to make sense, but I'm not familiar with the internals of a boat trans.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
Shawn:

The motor manufacturers will make the motors for either rotation. My cruiser (36' Carver) has twin 350 Crusaders, and one of each!

That is actually the standard approach on a dual engine inboard, to have the engines counter rotating. That allows the engine torque to cancel each other out.

As for PCM, I know for a fact that they make both rotations. My dad had a direct drive ski boat (1979 Pro Am) and it was reverse rotating with a PCM engine. I discovered it was reverse rotating when dad got cheap and bought an automotive starter from Kragen and then couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't start!
Old    krug            04-21-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
who cares!!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2003, 6:07 AM Reply   
Todd, yes MasterCraft did build some early X2’s with the reverse rotation props. This was in response to customer complaints regarding heavily loaded X10 & X30s and had virtually nothing to do with the X2. The decision was made to reverse rotation on ALL X-Series boats. However, it was very quickly discovered that this may have helped the 10 & 30 but did hurt the X2. Reverse rotation altered the shape of the wake and made the boat hard to turn to the right. MasterCraft’s pro riders complained immediately and the boats were put back to the original rotation.

To put your boat into standard rotation requires nothing more than the prop and some time. All that needs to happen to reverse the shaft direction is to switch the cables inside the control box. This is a simple fix and is covered under MasterCraft warranty.

I would highly recommend doing this; I think you’ll be impressed by the handling changes and the “new” wake shape. Plus the boat will be a lot easier to dock.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2003, 6:50 AM Reply   
Hell, I liked the wake and handling before, now I am excited to see what the right hand rotation will do (doesn't take much to get me excited). I've now had two dealers tell me to get the prop rotation changed, man I love this website. I will let you all know if there is a noticeable difference once I get the rotation changed.