Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    kali            04-07-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
Does anyone make covers for towers? Everyone I call says you have to get one custom made. I find it hard to believe no one makes them yet....does anyone have any ideason where to find one?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-07-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeside.com/miva/merchant.mv?page=W/PROD//boss_tower_sock

tower_sock
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
WHY? Based on how much of a pain it is to clean my cover vs. the ease of just wiping down my tower… what is the point? Am I missing something here?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-07-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Good question. Especially at $500 or so.
I think it only makes sense if your boat is stored outside. And, a total canopy cover would be better.
Old    kali            04-07-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Jeff, i wish i still lived in CA but i am now stuck in Ct...the weather here sucks. it is currenty snowing on my tower, speakers and lights...I would just like to have something for protection. in addition my boat is outside in a so so hood, just want to cover up the goods so passerbys arnt tempted to loot em!!
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
i dont see the point either, i would rather clean the bug splats off my tower than put that gay tower sock on it
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-07-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
It is probably a very good theft deterrent.
And, it will keep things nice if the boat is outside all winter long (under a canopy or not).
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
i guess for storage it has some benefits, i was only thinking about towing with it, my bad!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
If it is just for storage you can buy one of those 20x10 foot tents with covers on all sides for less than $200. I got one at Costco last year and kept my boat under it with the cover on all winter. It worked fine except that you get a bit of condensation on the roof dripping on the boat with the temp changes here in WA.

For $500 bucks you could build a decent car -port to keep your boat under. I have also read about some people that shrink wrap their boat and tower over the winter.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
Try www.tarpsonline.com they have got some cheap alternatives.
Old    chris_hargis            04-07-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
I am going to get a tarp and make me a cover for my roll cage. My reason for this is to cover the lights and wiring when the boat is parked. I am going to sew it up to fit with velcro sides, and add snaps so it connects to the cover I altered to fit the boat with the cage up. When I get it done, I will try to post some pictures of it.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
Check out a local boat canvas shop also, that's probably about 8 yds of 60' fabric at about $20/yd (they pay about $12/yd) and about 2 hours labor at $60/hr so I'd think you could get a custom Sunbrella cover for about $300. If they have some seconds and scraps they can piece together around it may be a little cheaper.

If you know a good person with a sewing machine, checkout eBay or outdoorfabrics.com for cheaper fabric options and make one. If you live in Atlanta we could work a deal on pizza, beer and pulls!

OK, I cant resist this one - It's easier to trailer it with the tower folded down (shameless self promotion)

Bill

Lay it Down and Tow It
Old    steveaz            04-07-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
Let's debate that Bill

Trailering with the tower down means it needs to be secured so it doesn't bounce right? Also, what about when You have racks speakers and other protruding items? Also, would you really want those tower legs riding on top of each other causing wear and tear?

Just curious, there is no way I'd consider that an option.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
Great points. No debate but I'll share my opinions and "I could be wrong", just ask my wife.

You do need to have racks with a quick release (http://www.monstertower.com/accessory1.html) so they don’t ride on the sides of your boat when the tower is down. Most of the rack manufacturers are moving to a quick release for security so they are not hard to find. In a boat storage yard a big tower with all the toyz on it is inviting to the "not so honest".

All our accessories are from Mako (www.Mako-Ind.com) and use their cam lever quick release just like on seat posts & wheels of bikes and allow the toyz to come off in seconds.

As far at the legs riding on top of each other you do need to throw a ski vest or towel between them to make they do not rub together. We've trailered boats with the tower down many a mile now and it has not been a problem yet.

It's not as big of an issue with the anodized finish because it is so hard but we are about ready to offer a powder coated black version and the powder coating needs more gentle care.

We were in a long line recently to launch the boat and we were about 3 out when I jump out of my truck, pulled the cover off the boat, put up the tower, locked on the racks, filled them up with 4 boards and cranked up the tunes - all before the person on the ramp could even get their boat launched (maybe 2-3 minutes). Two of the people behind me came up and made comments about how impressed they were with what they just saw. Both will be getting their Monster Towers next week!

Bill
Old    whitechocolate            05-02-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album03

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2003, 1:49 AM Reply   
i like my racks solid bolted, i have enough to do with taking down boards, speakers, bimini, unloading all the days crap, cleaning boat, flushing motor, parking boat, and folding tower to fit under my canopy. Why would i want quick release racks, so id have just one more thing to carry in the house...no garage yet?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Grant, that tower cover for just the top makes a lot of sense. It will just cover/hide the sensitive stuff. Is that for sale?
Old    whitechocolate            05-05-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yo: Dane You can get the tower covers for $375
at Towerbiminis.com They are Made for FTC towers. and are a little bit bigger than the one you see (the one Im talking about covers the racks also) If you have another type of tower you will have to get one custom made. The cover works great because it onlt takes about 30 seconds to take on or off perfect for towing. It keeps the bus and crud of the "sensitive stuff"
It also works great for keeping early mornig Dew of your speakers for when you have your boat out all night at the lake. It also give me a false sence of security thinking if it outa sight its outa mind
Old    whitechocolate            05-05-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Yo: Dane You can get the tower covers for $375
at Towerbiminis.com They are Made for FTC towers. and are a little bit bigger than the one you see (the one Im talking about covers the racks also) If you have another type of tower you will have to get one custom made. The cover work's great because it only takes about 30 seconds to take on or off perfect for towing. It keeps the bug's and crud of the "sensitive stuff"
It also works great for keeping early mornig Dew of your speakers for when you have your boat out all night at the lake. It also give me a false sence of security thinking if it outa sight its outa mind. You can take you boa threr to have it made they are in San Marten just south of SJ