Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    skihardkore            04-16-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of buying my sub this weekend and need to know the amount of space behind the driver's kickpanel. The sub requires a 1 cubic foot box. DOes anyone have any dimensions for me to start building my box or do i have to wait till the boat comes out of storage to meausure?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-17-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hey wakeman,
There is plenty of room for a sub
behind the kick panel.
The Panel is easier to remove than it looks.
You have to reach over it and all the way
to the floor to unscrew it. Or if it is impossible to reach, feel around on the
front of the panel for screws deep in the carpet
pile. They are there, and come out easy.

I prefer sealed subs myself.
Check out the Audioforms enclosure. It kicks
@$$!!!
http://www.audioformz.com
Old    skihardkore            04-17-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
I'm going to build my own box, but i just need to know if i build a box that is 1ft x 1ft x 1ft, will it fit back there? by the way, it's definatley going to be a sealed box. It sounds wayyyyy better. How much stuffing do you reccomend i put in it?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-18-2003, 5:55 AM Reply   
Couldn't tell you about the stuffing.
I have the Audio formz enclosure
and have no stuffing in it yet.
But I'm guessing one of my wifes frilly
little couch cushions should provide
enough stuffing. I'll just have to tie the cover
to a rock and sink it in the lake
Old    vern            04-18-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
I don't think you'll need stuffing. Just be sure that the enclosure is built for factory specifications. When you seal it remember to caulk every crack. You would not believe the guys that throw a sub in an unproperly sealed box made of plywood (bad idea), and then when it sounds like poo they think it's great. Until i pull out my two ten's and blow the hell out of there 12' kickers running 500 watts RMS. :-)
Old    skihardkore            04-18-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
HAHA, ok, so you dont think i'll need stuffing as long as it's properly made. One more question, do you think 100 watts RMS will be enough to drive a 10"?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-21-2003, 5:19 AM Reply   
nope. You won't get what you're looking for
out of 100 watts. I have 150 in my pickup truck cab and it sounds ok. But its a tiny space and
I can close the windows. Not the same as
an open-air boat at 22mph. Go to 500w if you want
to hear it while you're riding.
Old    skihardkore            04-21-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
i dont want it while i ride, just for cruisin in the boat and while it's anchored for a little swim. Still dont think it's enough eh?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
I have a 10" sub (elcheapo) in a sealed enclosure that fits like a glove up there in the kick panel area in my Toyota. I have 120 watts RMS running to it, it is fine for in the boat jamming out, no way you can hear it behind the boat. I wouldn't make a symmetrical enclosure, make it fit the space with one side not parallel. Cubes have standing wave problems. Stuffing helps. It can also make a cabinet appear to be up to about 20% larger than the actual volume. You could stuff a 12 box in there, if it were a relatively small Qts one. See the car stereo dude pages for more info, beyond the scope of this forum. Plus, I just took a Benadryl and can't think straight. Damn Atlanta pollen!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
I think you could make a 1 cu. ft box fit that space no problem. I think that is about the interior volume of the box I bought.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2003, 5:05 AM Reply   
I meant driving not riding. I guess I really meant riding around.
I had a JBL 150w amp driving a bazooka and could
not really hear it while the boat was moving.
Idling yes, but definitely not planeing.
I was dissapointed that I had gone thru all the trouble of purchasing and installing the sub
and couldn't hear it half the time.
When it came time to set up the next boat I made
sure I could hear it while driving. Still took
me two tries. I started with 10's and moved up to 12's. So, I started with 150w, doubled to 300w
and then doubled again to 600w. Now I can hear
the music at a reasonable volume at wakeboard speed.
Old    skihardkore            04-22-2003, 4:51 PM Reply   
When you give all these power ratings I assume you're talking in RMS? Are you saying I need a 12 with 600 RMS to even hear it?
there goes my budget. Keep in mind I'm not looking for mad bump, just bass with authority.
Old    k2_mn            04-22-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Are you talking about hear the bass in the boat or behind the boat? You can run one twelve with 300 watts and hear it just fine. If you want to get rattled out of your seat you might need two twelves with 600watts.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2003, 9:43 PM Reply   
You can hear a well designed box with one 10" and 120 watts or so, depending on what kind of music you like. A 12 and a little more power in a similar sealed enclosure would be even better. Don't lose hope, you don't have to spend 15k to get decent sound. Or even 2k. It's all in the design and layout. High end equipment will suck just as hard as cheap stuff if it is not installed properly.
Old    whitechocolate            04-22-2003, 10:38 PM Reply   
a 12 and 1600 watt's should be good to start You should be able to hear it when you on plane.
Old    skihardkore            04-23-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
thanks for the help