Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-22-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
In the last few weeks I’ve tried to see how fast I can wakesurf. My perfect pass is a little off, and under reports speed so I haven't been sure exactly how fast I’ve been surfing. Today we had a GPS on board and used it to gauge speed.

On my first run I rode my Mojo XL. I actually had trouble riding at lower speeds, my wake was a bit steep, at about 13 mph the Mojo started to cruise really nicely and the pocket got very long. I was able to keep riding up to 15 mph, losing my ride around 15.5 mph. The feel of the board on the water was very different, I didn’t do any carving other than pumping to get back in the pocket.

Next I rode my Red Tide for speed. I was able to get up to 14.7 mph on the Big Red Tide. The Red Tide felt a little funny at high speed. Water from front the toe edge of the board and back along the toe side was washing over the board, pushing the board sideways a little and making the ride feel kid of lose.

The throttle was maxed out when I was riding the Red Tide, I’m not sure I know why the boat was running faster when I was surfing the Mojo than the Red Tide.

How fast do you ride?
Old    surfdad            07-23-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
Hey Ed, if you an get your hands on some larger fins for the Red Tide (Futures say - 4.5" depth) you can ride that puppy a little faster. The deeper fins will provide some additional lift in the tail.

I normally ride at 11 until I start practicing for the Worlds and then I ride at 13.5 mph so that I am accustomed to the speed.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-23-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Bigger fins might help, but I think I still need more ponies in the boat, we had the throttle maxed out.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-23-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
damn, I wish I had perfect pass to tell how fast I go. That could be fun to see what the max speed would be.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
We ride at 10.5. I towed a friend of mine 42 mph on my 9'-2" longboard a few years ago.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
That wasn't a free ride at 42 mph.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
That's why I said "towed".

To address the topic, I've surfed at 13.5 mph before, and could barely keep up, but that was before my current weight setup. Might be able to go a little faster now, but why? 42 on the longboard was more fun (to watch).
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Trace, I was sure that's what you meant, just checking. We have an old Thruster that we line ride at 24 to 26 mph, for me it's a slalom like ride, a lot of fun.

I rode a knee board one at 45 mph, that's a bit fast.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Here's a freeride that's probably close to 42 mph.
http://www.fazed.org/video/?id=371
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Trace, that's pretty cool stuff, really amazing to watch, but I think I'll let the pro's ride those waves.