Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    camsask            08-11-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
im just starting out and i was wondering what the perfect driving speed is..thanks
Old    damnation            08-11-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
The speed limit.

Just kidding, but that will be a personal preference depending on the rider and the wake. Typically I start newbies off around 19-20. Most everyone else rides behind my boat somewhere between 22 and 23 mph.

Hope this helps.
Old    husband's name Day            08-11-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
IMO there's no such thing, too many factors involved, boat shape, size of the wake, the rider's ability....etc I would call my husband and I still beginners (can't do any inverts/spins) and he rides at about 30 mph and I only ride at about 22-24 mph...
Old    camsask            08-11-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
thanks alot....i have a really good feel of the board and i can land like 90% of my jumps, but i cant get alot of air....im in a 96 glastron GS 160, its a really round boat... can u tell me what speed to go now shanda??
Old    camsask            08-11-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
...and im looking for MORE AIR
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Go at a speed where the tip of the wake doesn't curl over onto itself. As you become more comfortable go faster but don't increase the speed to the point where the wake shrinks. Those are the things I look for when I ride
Old    husband's name Day            08-11-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
I'm with Huser on this one..my husband realized that going 30 mph he could gain a lot of speed, but it washed the wake out (made it curl over) and if we slowed down to about 26-28 mph his wake was smoother and he could generate the speed with a wider, more prgressive cut.

since you are fairly comfortable with your jumps, go as fast as your wake will let you!!! To get more air, you've really got to be on your edge all the way through the wake...get yourself on video if you haven't alreay... I thought I was edging hard, but after i saw myself, I realized what a panzy I was being! practice your edge out in the flats as you cut away from the boat and make sure you are applying that same deep edge as you attack the wake!!!

Hope this helps. Let me know!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-11-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
omg - 30mph??? are you insane?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-11-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
cameron, there is no perfect driving speed, but most folks ride between 22-24mph. don't substitute speed for edging ability and technique. if you can't do it at 23mph, you're not doing it right. by going faster all you'll do is get more hurt at some point. learn how to edge, load the line and pop off the wake.

plenty of people can do inverts and spins w/o much wake at all, or even air tricks (done w/o any wake in the flats). being a good rider has infinitely more to do with technique, position, balance and perseverence than wake size.
Old    camsask            08-11-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
ok thanks alot all, i wont be out on the lake for about 4 days so il let u know if that helpend on monday...Thanks again.
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-11-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
ya, i thought i rode fast, 30mph?? you sure your not looking at the tachometer?
Old    husband's name Day            08-11-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
Trust me on this one....i know the difference between a tac and a speedometer! as mentioned before he has slowed down to about 26-28 mph as the wake is much better there, but he seems to love the speed! What can I say... I just drive...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Shanda, I'm thinking your speedo might be off. 26-28 is cookin', 30 is out of control. At 30mph on my boat there is no wake, it's not much better at 28 and 25 seems to be the magic number for a V-210. I can't imagine any comp- boat putting up ridable wake at 28mph.

B-
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
"being a good rider has infinitely more to do with technique, position, balance and perseverence than wake size."

Words to live by.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-11-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
30KMH?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-11-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
I often ride behind a 2003 X-10, stock ballast, and 5-9 people in the boat. At 21-22mph the wake is above my knee, it is HUGE! At 24 and up it loses about 8 inches of height. At 30mph there is no wake at all.
Old    husband's name Day            08-12-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
For starters, we ride behind a 66' correct craft, and the possiblity of the speedometer being off it fairly likely. In fact we took a guy out last night that says he typically rides at 22mph and so we had him tell us when it felt like he was going 22. When he said it was good, our speedometer read about 26 mph so you all were right on... our speedometer is off about 4-5 mph!
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-12-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
If you want big air you need a decent wake. If your wake sucks then just work on technique. Sooner or later a SANTE of X-Star will give you a pull and good technique will allow you to launch off the big wake.