Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Anybody have any experience with these amps? They are supposedly ultra efficient, and compact. ? Two huge pluses for a boat. Do they run warm/hot? Are they that much more efficient than your standard class d amp?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-26-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Adam-I've been curious about the amps myself but havent heard much info. This is about the only info I've come across http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9291&hl=pdx
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
KG, I combed thru the car audio forums for a few hours doing some research. I couldn’t’ find anything bad about them, except for the “retail” price was high. I read the PDX 600.1 will bench at around 720-730 RMS @ 14.4 volts. I think I may go ahead and pull the trigger on one and give it a try. I’m not too happy with the 2 12’s in the boat now. I’m adding a third.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Adam you know what they say there's no replacement for displacement
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-26-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
The efficiency is what peaked my curiousity the most but the smaller size helps as well. If you get one keep us posted. Like you stated these amps might be the future for boating. Battery drain is always a battle.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
KG, I’m still having trouble finding anything much on the “ultra efficiency” claims. A typical class d amplifier is in the 75-85% efficiency range some even higher depending on ohm load. This may just be a marketing thing with Alpine?? Even if they are 90% efficient…what does that really mean….we save maybe a 1-4 amp draw??? I’m playing devil’s advocate, but alpine may be “hyping” it up. I like it for its size…..and I like anything that can save an extra power…weather it be 1 or 30 amps.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yes, but going from 80% to 90% means that the amp will get half as hot, so it will likely last twice as long
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Joe, I see your an EE, please explain? How does a 10% increase in effeciency result in an amp taking twice as long to reach the same temperature?
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-26-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Adam,

I have not yet used the PDX 600.1 but, we have installed many PDX series amps. Mostly the 4.100 and the 4.150 versions with a few of the PDX 1000.1 paired with W7's. They are very small and have no residual heat.

As for your temp question. Think of linear versus non linear. You may be trying to compare 10 apples to 10 oranges. Think of it as 10 apples to 176 bottle caps. I hope that is confusing enough.

An increase in efficiency means less residual heat buildup (less efficient means more energy wasted in the form of heat instead of amplification). So with less energy being wasted as heat the temp will increase at a slower rate.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I guess to me 10% of anything does not seem like much. I see what your saying. I went ahead and purchased the PDX 600.1 and the TC sounds TC -1000.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-26-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
the guys a kustom kar audio in santa rosa tell me that these pdx amps are the real deal. call them if you have a question. 707-527-5000. ask for aaron. hell help you out.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-27-2007, 12:15 AM Reply   
The PDX amps use the ICE power chipset designed developed by Bang & Olufsen. I am a big advocate of using high efficiency amplifiers on boats to avoid over-taxing the stock electrical charging system.

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1773.asp

The technology uses high speed switching circuitry to more accurately "throttle" the power in the input stage versus gobbling power then dumping what is not sent to the speakers on the heat sinks like class A/B amps.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
Any other manufactureres using this technology in their(car) amps?
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-27-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
A more efficient amp will mean that it will put off less heat and the internal components will heat up less. A good rule of thumb that I use is that for every 10C drop you can get in ambient temperature around the electrical components, it will double the life of said components. Now I'm not sure that a 10% increase of efficiency yields a 10C decrease, but that may be the case with these amps.
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
Doesn't the Avionixx Seris Amps use the same technology, although, from what I understand in a little "rougher" form. The AXA800.4 and the AXA600.4 both use it I think. I have read that they aren't stable all the time, but for the price they are a pretty good deal.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Bocephus, Avionixx used the tri path technology...from what I understand it is different than what alpine uses. Arc audio, Clarion and a few other manufactureres used the same technology (class T) but have since stopped.