Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            02-14-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
I asked Mike Daniels at Coil Industries to shape a board for James, and he sent me the pictures of the shaped blank. The folks at Coil vacuum laminate stringerless blanks with a very light resin to fabric ratio.

This pictures:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
what about vacuum infusion?
Old    surfdad            02-15-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Hey Petr,

The folks at Coil are pretty guarded about their process. From what I can tell the blank is a 1 pound EPS and it isn't sealed. I don't know if not sealing it has some major impact on the board's performance. However, not sealing it would preclude infusion, as the EPS would just drink the resin as it was pulled across the board. Not to mention that the 1 pound EPS would deform at the pressures needed for infusion.

I was reminded, yesterday, that a truly skilled glasser can get the same resin to fabric ratios as a bagged board using just a squegee and maybe a wetout table.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-15-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
i see you are going to see if this tech/stick will work for james
Old    surfdad            02-15-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Yeah. This year I want to get a solid test on stringerless and a hollow.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-15-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
i have ridden nothing but stringerless and dont know how the others ride, let us know if the coil snaps back like they say it does.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
Surfdad
I know its got to be done by now,???
Old    surfdad            03-10-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   

Have you noticed, in this industry, when you get that return phone call or email that starts out:

"Dddddduuuudddddddeeeeee"

That it will be at LEAST another month before "whatever" arrives. :-)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
its in every industry , that you have to wait on other people to do the work.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
WILL YOU USE THESE FINSUpload
Old    surfdad            03-16-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
That's a LOT of Scimitar's! That's not the pivot rear, so either the 375 or 340 quad rear's?

James is favoring the 3/2/1's of late.

(Message edited by surfdad on March 16, 2009)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-17-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
rear is a 325 , enough to hold but still able to break loose
Old    surfdad            05-07-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
(drum roll please) And NOOOOOOOWWWWWW the moment we've all been waiting FFFFFFFOOOOOORRRR...the first ever Coil Wakesurfer! :-) Sheesh, this board has been quite the "adventure" getting here.

Stringerless EPS, it looks like 4 layers of 4 oz vacuum bagged in an array of biases and then the "microfiber" rail material.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-07-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
That's a sweet looking board!
Old    mobster            05-07-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
Nice & clean
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
So its 4 layers of 4 oz per side and what type of nonwoven fiber material is it??. looks great and just in time for the weekend
Old    surfdad            05-07-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Brewkettle, I don't know what the material on the rails is - they say it's some type of microfiber. It's embedded pretty deep in the resin, so I can't make heads or tails of it...but...I swear I've seen that mesh in a garden department of a big box store.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
need a closer pic of the secret material
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-07-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
That is a wicked sweet lookin' board!
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-08-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
finally!!!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-08-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Surfdad,
what is the weight without fins,
Old    surfdad            05-08-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
5 pounds. It's the same weight as James TWP.
Old    surfdad            05-08-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Here is a close up of the "secret material", Brewkettle. I'm not sure if you've ever seen netting that commercial nurseries place over plants to birds out and the sun off - that's what it reminds me of.

Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-09-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
looks cool , is it just for looks or does it add stiffness??, i wish it was lighter but 16oz. top/bottom i guess its fine.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Yeah if you figure 16 oz of fabric and probably 32 oz of resin it's 1 pound of foam, boxes and this mesh.

We'll see how it rides today, but the folks at Coil have represented that the microfiber adds stiffness and flex return. They messed with carbon but found that to be too stiff.

The Coil folks acknowledge that their boards aren't the lightest, they instead say that the love FABRIC and contend that the extra fabric offers a more substantial board and the flex return is more pronounced.

We'll see if the hype is legitimate. Mostly it's been my experience that marketing claims advance much further than the underlying reality :-)

I've been impressed with the use of perimeter stringers, but not the longevity due to ripping along the stringer. James current board has a patch over most of the tail, but that changes the performance some with less flex and more weight. Proctor's Kevlar and Carbon Patches are interesting. The Kevlar helping to reduce underlying heel dents and the carbon over the stringers spreading the load some, as well as, adding additional stiffness. We'll see how that works also. The Coil, if it can harness flex and return like the perimeter stringers, would address the durability issue. I have my fingers crossed! :-)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
Looks dope!!
Old    surfdad            05-09-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanks hatenpain - it's a nice little board. I think the construction tech is legitimate. No heel dents and it felt solid. I think the shape needs to be a little different to compliment the construction.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
James always seems to get a little more air than Jeff does:-)
Old    surfdad            05-09-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Did you mean, hair? :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
No, but let's be clear; it's both.
Old    surfdad            05-10-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
So true!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-10-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
No, James just always snaps shots of Jeff landing his air's. Just look at the splash down on that last one he must have had 3' there.
Old    surfdad            05-19-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
LOL - YEAH! What Hate N Pain said. :-) (How much do I owe you for that? :-) )

I've done a bit of "looking" at the Coil and it's not fiberglass in the exterior lamination. Well, it's not FULLY fiberglass. If you look at the pictures above it's a SUPER bright white and up close, you can't see any foam or the telltale signs of pukas in the EPS. At least SOME of the fabric covering it, is opaque and the only fabric that I know of that has the characteristic super bright white and stiffness is Spectra. In looking at it, I think that at least one layer, perhaps two is spectra laid on a bias. Then, one layer of a 2 oz or 4 oz e/s-glass on top.

The folks at coil did a concept board using a carbon/spectra blend fabric. I know that some of our old wakeboard ropes used Spectra because it is no stretch and it's specific gravity is lower than water so it floats.

The black "microfiber" over the tail and along the rails looks to be a plastic mesh that is used when applying a thick layer of mud on sheet rock. It gives the mud something to grip to.

Interesting use of material.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-19-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Great work inspector , found this on Sways
http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1024029

(Message edited by brewkettle on May 19, 2009)