Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-12-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
Is there such a thing as being certified or is just anyone doing it. I would think that the industry should have a standard on who is and can give lessons.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-12-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
I would hate to pay somebody that didn't now much and couldn't actually help.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-12-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
Well you can get a coaching certificate, but all that really says is that you've done the course. I'm thinking of doing it this year. Hey Squid can I call you a coach and try to bring you up to Canada for a weekend?
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-12-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
coaching cert? what course? is that a canada thing? i've never heard of anything in the states except for the ol' free market. one of my partners operates www.masterwakeboarding.com and he is not certified. brian sasser is one of the most successful instructors in the country and i've never heard him tout any "certification".

squid my friend - you give "the industry" far too much credit
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-12-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
wake specialty I don't thats what bugs me. I have seen alot of schools just pop up but the instructors are not that good nor do they have proven themselfs in comps or to the media. Pretty much not pros.

They just take your $$$ act like they are on a clock and your wasting their time.

Me I love to teach others and get stoked seeing them learn the new tricks. You need to love to teach others and are willing to share the secrets that you your self worked so hard to get.

This summer I would like to put together something at the Delta or at Northen Cal lake where people can meet up once a week. Where if they need help with that first backside roll or 360 that there are riders that will help them with it. All we get out of it is a free pull and we walk away with new friends. Plus they learn a new trick.

I did this years ago with but it was at INT comps and it was alot of fun.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-13-2005, 12:24 AM Reply   
Just go to West Coast Camps and you will get the best coaching offered period.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-13-2005, 12:39 AM Reply   
i don't have a long trick list, but i've taught many people tricks that i can't even do. either way, i'm not proven in the media so i guess i'm not a good teacher.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-13-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
I don't believe it has anything to do with your own riding ability. It's always nice to have an instructor that rips, and for technical tricks like mobes, you might need someone like this. I know plenty of guys that are great at instruction even though they are not pro riders.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-13-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod. We dock our boat at a wakeboarding school and help out when he is double booked etc. We never teach anyone that has to learn tricks that we cannot properly instruct. Most of the clientele up here just wants to know how to get up, get some air, and possibly go wake to wake and some spins, perhaps an invert or two. The more technical tricks are left to the ones who have done it and have some tips on landing them. It's sad that there are schools out there that rip people off, but that just doesn’t happen in our industry, it happens everywhere. What I have personally found is that most people in our great sport are pretty stand up kind of people and wouldn’t take someone to the bank just to make a buck. However it would be a good idea if the person teaching had some basic first aid skills. We have a course up here that is open to the public that teaches how to deal with broken bones, CPR etc.....and that I think is very beneficial.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-13-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Buyer beware - investigate a little bit before dropping cash - ask questions - any referrals? What about safety? If an instructor sucks don't go back, ask for a reduced rate and spread the word. Likewise if he is great, give him a tip and spread the word. Aside from U-Haul there aren't too many businesses that can survive with poor service.

In Texas? I'll throw my referral to support legit guys like Richie McKee (texas mastercraft), Brian Sasser, Greg @ Lakelessons.com in austin, Danny with masterwakeboarding.com and Joey Bradley on the Brazos.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-13-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
I think what makes a good instructor is to be able to break down the trick and then communicate it to the rider in a way that they "get it".

My son has been to 6 differant camps and had some big names teaching him. Some of the big name riders were not very good at teaching, or, they just didn't care.

One of his best coaches was Jason Buffalow. He is not one of the best riders, but his style of teaching seems to work very well, because of his communication skills. And he is not, technically,
an instructor.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-13-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Just because you ride good doesn't mean you teach good. Just like in any type of schooling some can communicate better and make somebody understand the concept of what they are trying to do. That being said Squid you can teach me anytime you want. Now wether or not I will pick it up is another issue altogether.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
My son coaches at a wakeboard camp in Oregon and rides Jr. mens on the tour. He also gives private lessons, he tells his students that if they don't feel they got a good lesson or didn't learn somthing new, the lesson is free. In 4 years of teaching he has never had someone ask for the free leasson. It really is all about making a connection with the student and having the paitents to get them to the next level. The coolest thing about it is he gets just as stoked teaching that first 180 as he does teaching a Mobe.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
I teach jumping lessons(on horses) and you run accross unqualified instructors all the time. I think that it is something that every field battles. I find that I can help people with wakeboarding tricks that I have no chance of landing just because I am used to explaining body positioning and technique on horses.The problem with trying to certify everyone who teaches is that not everyone who really is qualified to teach has access to certification programs. For instance in my field I would have to go back east for a wk or so to get certified. I already run a business and don't really want to sacrifice my time or my $ to be certified for something I already do.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-14-2005, 12:50 AM Reply   
Ok, well I was trying to chose where to go in FL for a week or two. To a school now talking to a few people who have been makes me second guess it. IF I drop a bunch of cash and it turns out bad I will be upset. So now I am thinking of just going and chilling at West Coast for a week of riding. It would be cheaper then renting a house boat for a week and putting gas in a boat plus food. So thats where I will be headed in spring.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-14-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
I disagree with the theory of checking someones riding performance and basing that on how well they can teach. Many pro's, or riders that have "proven" themselves in contests have no clue how to instruct. I think the key is to look at who they're instructing and judge them by the progress of thier students. Read what others have to say about thier experience with so and so instructor- what tricks they were working on and then make your decision.
I think you need to be comfortable with who's instructubg you as well. If you're nervous as hell because some Pro is teaching you, chances are you won't get as much out of the session....
Just my opinion
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hey wakespecialty
I am signed up with Sasser for this next season
It's good to hear some feedback about him
I'm 41 and want to learn to flip or roll while the old body still can!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2005, 3:21 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff. I was fortunate enough to attend the double up wakeboard school out of the delta (several years ago) with two unknown (to me at least) riders who were awesome coaches. That was back when 10ft poles were the shiz and they were stuffing a ton of lead in their brand new sport nautique, lol.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-14-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
Squid, get on it WCC fills up fast and they limit the all ages weeks to the first two and the last one. I'm quite sure the Schwan would work with you on that though.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-14-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Squid, come ride with us at the Delta Wakeboard Camp. We have my son Derek Conway, Kevin Bird, and possibly Criss Dykmans and Tony Carroll as coaches. I know that when Derek goes to a camp, he helps his coaches with their tricks. Try it out-money back gaurantee!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-14-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
Ok, I am sold Tommyc I will take you up on it. Anyone that offers money back guarantee has my business. Send me a e-mail with some info wakesquid420@yahoo.com