Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
Please check out these videos (about 4 minutes each) and give me your feedback on them, I would love to hear it. I compressed the 2nd one a little differently than the first (they were each about 60MB originally), and I think the quality on the 2nd one is better.. anyway, thanks in advance for the replies.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=17227

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=17228
Old    dahui            09-27-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
Those were fun to watch, nice riding. Keep working on those spins!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-28-2005, 12:28 AM Reply   
nice job. kudos to whoever did the switch toeside jump (albeit to 180). not many folks doing that.

i would say get tighter on the rider - only use the long shots for establishing. with a square aspect ratio that kind of framing really doesn't work.

can't say i liked the song - especially for the riding sequence. something like that might work better for non-riding footage.

the edits to the eating at the house seemed unmotivated. was that to introduce each new rider? then that would make sense (and a name card would help in that case) - otherwise it's just kind of random.

with the footage you had i would have made a shorter video - only so many jumps and lipslides are interesting. better to leave them wanting more than to bore them with repetition.

the music seems edited towards the end - jump cuts in the sound. it was distracting. some rough-cut editing towards the end you forgot to clean up?

nice double-ups! again, not something you see much in amateur vids.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2005, 12:53 AM Reply   
i agree with everything stack said, including the doubleup comments.

vid tips:

1. don't zoom all the way out too much. try to keep the subject in the center of the shot.

2. the 1st vid, it's tough to really use gangsta rap for wake vids. it's really hard to get the vid to flow w/ the music/lyrics. finding the perfect song is one of the most critical part of making a vid. (i don't mean to be too dramatic, but you know what i mean)

3. hold the cam with both hands to help in avoiding camera shake. it's really hard to watch when the cam's shaking a lot.

4. cut out the bs; sliding around, cutting back and forth, etc. etc. there's no rule that says a video HAS to be 4 minutes long. so, cut out the unnecessary stuff and make a short vid.

5. keep the extended pylon and the rope dangling from the pylon out of the shots. sit behind the pylon if you have to, to get the shots.

6. i didn't understand the relevance of the eating scenes, either.

7. don't use "fancy" transitions.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
liked them both. keep it up
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-28-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys, exactly what I was looking for.

The 2nd video was a little rushed as far as details, and I forgot to add the riders names on those eating scenes to intro their section, so that is what those scenes were for.

Joe, define "fancy". My guess is that it is anything other than a simple fade out/in between scenes?

Thanks again for your input.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
"fancy" transitions in the first vid.

00:07-00:08
01:29-01:31
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-28-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
I know exactly what you're talking about Joe. They do make the video seem a little cheesy..
Old    michaelvinczii            10-04-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
dude those wrecks were awesome. you guys were taking some hard falls.