Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Looking to get a new vehicle, I'm finding decent prices/incentives on new 2006 GMC Canyons, but am wondering about the 4cylinder or 5 cylinder and whether they can handle the little bit of towing I would need to do.

I only need to tow to the lake in the spring and take out in the fall. Beyond that, the only other reason to take it out is for any maintenance...

Boat is a 1990 Sanger DX (in my profile).

Any help is appreciated...
Goerlich
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-11-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
In my opinion the 4 would be fine if you are only towing a few times per year. I have a friend who used a 94 Toyota truck (4cyl 4x4) to tow his Pro Star 190 and it did fine. Good luck.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-11-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
Compare the max towing capacity to the listed boat's weight to get started.
Old    Ben Kerran            02-11-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
How far is your tow? We launched my Avalanche (approx: 4200lbs)once with my friend's Chevy Colorado (5 cyl). We only towed from my storage to the launch (less than a mile) and the ramp is very gradual. It did the job, but didn't like it. I definitely would not recommend doing it often.
Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I think the boat is about 3000lbs.

The worst case tow (distance from the dealer to the ramp) is about 4.5 miles.... and it's about 3 miles from my house to the ramp. The ramp is pretty gradual as well.
Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the input...

I ended up putting a deposit on a 2001 Sonoma Crew Cab this afternoon. it was only an hour drive from the house, and best of all.... it only has 31k on it! The thing is virtually new!

It actually works out better than the Canyons due to the 4.3 v6 and the 5,200 lb towing capacity.