Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-24-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Hey this might have been posted in the past and if so, I am sorry for hte repost but I was wondering if its better to where knee braces to prevent problems in the future? Ive heard certain people say only where one if ur knee has been hurt but that makes no sense to me.... wouldnt it help hold your knee in place in situations where it could be damaged?? Just curious as to peoples opinons on the matter.
Thanks!!
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-24-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Sorry Chris, the only way to prevent injury is to build and maintain muscle strength as well as improve and maintain flexibility. Braces are used to reduce joint instability. If you have a healthy joint and maintain strength and flexibility any brace is pretty much useless.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-24-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
ok.... so waht exercises can u do to build knee strength??
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
I have been told squats and/or bicycling works well. Make sure when you do squats you are VERY VERY dilligent in your form and technique! Dont go heavy right away.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-24-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
You basically can do any exercises to keep your hamstrings and quads built up. Remember they should be balanced.

Also you should do some stabilization exercises too. Get an Indo board. They're great for the knees. You can just screw around on it and also do exercises like squats. They will simulate real world activities unlike structured exercises.

Bikes work great too.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-24-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
what about a situation where you have a partial (minor) ACL tear or strain? Would it be helpful to ride in a brace to prevent further damage while rehabing and strengthening?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-24-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
A brace should help the stabalization of the joint and reduce the risk of more damage. Thats what they're designed for.

You still need to strengthen the joint. Then you can ween yourself out of the brace.

But dont take my word for it. See a sports doc to get the full scoop.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Braces: I will only wear a brace during injury rehabillitation. I rode motocross for years and have seen too many femurs and lower legs brake because of knee braces. Sure they protect the knee and dont let it bend certain ways...but that pressure has to go somewhere...above or below the brace. The body is built to flex and bend, build the muscles to protect the knee.

Muscles: On page 72 of this months Mens Health are 3 good exercises to strengthen the front part of the leg for stabilization of the knee. Same page also has a good shoulder/rotator cuff exercise.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
I see your point Adrenaline, but don't you think there are some differences in the impact that the body is going to take when comparing MotoX to wakeboarding? I guess I can downplay it, but then again, I've seen some femur injuries recently, so...hmm.

I'm doing some rehab and stretching, but it seems like no matter how hard I try to "take it easy" on the water, I always have at least 1 landing where I feel like I tweak the knee a little each time out. It's sore for a day or two, and then back to normal. And by normal, I mean 98% full range of motion for everyday life, but I can make it hurt if I straighten the leg and tighten my quad, or do the heel to buttcheek stretch and really pull it.

I don't want to have a "crutch," but I also would like to avoid further injury.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
anyone with experience take a second and read my post above...thanks
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
David, your situation is exactly what braces were made for. I am not saying never wear one. But I have seen too many people start wearing one and never stop. Reconstructed knees are supposed to be better than new. I would suggest (and I am not a doctor just a suggestion) wearing a brace for a month everytime your on the water...stretch really good. And after a month try it out and see how it feels if it is okay ride every other time for another month with the brace and the get rid of it. Work your knee back into it don't just throw it to wolves so to speak.

I had reconstrutive surgery in college (I was a wrestler) I never wore more than a neoprene brace (couldnt wear anything that had steel in it) and in all my time since motocross, running, anything I have never wore a brace...I did jam my leg riding motocross and irritated the meniscus and the doc had me wear something for a couple weeks...didnt do any good.

I have taken some pretty hard falls on water, sometimes water hits back..ya know.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
you should never wear a brace if you don't need it! The more you wear a brace the more your knee (or any body part) will rely on it. Your knee brace knee will end up becoming weaker than your other knee, making your better knee compansate more (which could lead to injury with the better knee).

Derby is 100% correct saying "knee braces help the stabalization of the joint and reduce the risk of more damage."

Adrenaline - Reconstructed knees are never better than new. Even though, you get a new ACL or Screws, there is always tendon strain, scar tissue, and cartilidge, that will never be the same or regenerate.

David - if you want to avoid further injury then don't ride... but if your like me (a stubborn mutha F* that loves to ride) then just take it slow and easy riding. Keep up on your stretching and strength exercises.

Note: I'm no doctor, just someone who has surgeries on both knees who has read and talked to a lot of people. I ride as much as I can permitting, and actually only ride with one brace.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
I had a torn ACL and miniscus two years ago. About two months ago, while wearing my brace, I came down and as soon as I hit the water.....pop. SEVERE pain. Long story short, my doctor asked if I was wearing my brace. I told him yes and he said,"Good, continue to wear it.

I ended up just straining my MCL, but he said that if I hadn't been wearing my brace I would have torn my MCL and possibly my ACL again. I have been out of rehab for about a year and half and have had NO problems since. I'm a believer that they can help in certain situations.
I also believe though, that if your knee is gonna go, a brace isn't always going to keep it from happening.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
good info.

Adrenaline - I like your advice. I was thinking of doing something like you recommended. I guess I just have to decide if I want to get a cheap(er) brace, like a nice one that comes in S, M, L sizes, or invest in the expensive CTI2 carbon fiber bad boy.

I've never had any popping or anything, but my left definitely isn't as well off as my right knee. I'm sure 2 sets twice a week isn't going to make my left knee weaker or dependent on the brace as long as I continue squatting and strengthening the knee in general.

Thanks again.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Almost all college and professional football linemen wear braces to reduce the risk of injury. I can't find the link but there was a study conducted on the number of injures with and without and determined that braces made a big difference for interior linemen who face a risk on every play of someone falling into their leg while blocking or tackling.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
David, buy a used one on ebay (try out the size at a shop) then when your done...sell it on ebay.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-26-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Adrenaline - you said, "Try out the size at a shop."

What kind of shop stocks braces and lets you try them on?

thanks
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-27-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
Try a Breg X2k, you can get one off ebay used for around $100, they are probably the best non-custom brace you can buy. I wore one for a while snowboarding and my knee felt great. My Dr. got me a custom EBI alliance for wakeboarding and this thing is great.
p.s. My knee has been hyperextended and some of my ligaments are a bit stretched out so my knee is very sloppy and unstable, so my brace stops me from overextending and keeps my joint stable. Never wear a brace for day to day activites unless a Dr. says to it will only become a crutch.