Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
anyone hear about this?

quote:

MOTHER KILLED, BOY INJURED: A woman was found dead and her 14-year-old son was critically injured Saturday after a boating crash at Discovery Bay.

Rescue divers found the body of Jill Hullen, 47, around 7:30 p.m. Saturday. About three hours earlier, she and her son had been riding a personal watercraft that collided with a 23-foot boat, said Jimmy Lee, spokesman for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department.

The boy was airlifted shortly after the crash to Children's Hospital Oakland, where he was listed in critical but stable condition Saturday night, Lee said. But Hullen's whereabouts immediately after the crash were unknown, and a search and rescue team spent hours scouring the area where the waterfront residential community opens out into Indian Slough.

Lee said a crew from the Sheriff's Marine Patrol happened upon the scene shortly after the collision and was able to transport the boy to rescue crews on shore. The divers found his mother in the water about 60 feet from the shoreline, he said. Hullen was a resident of Discovery Bay, he said.

"We heard tons and tons of sirens this afternoon and weren't quite sure what it was," said David Piepho, town director of Discovery Bay, who said he grew increasingly nervous as a helicopter flew overhead.

Piepho said the area where Indian Slough passes over the north end of Discovery Bay can be dangerous because of the heavy amount of recreational traffic.

"Our heart goes out to the family and the child," he said. "This is tragic news."

Lee said the driver of the boat was not injured in the collision, nor were several passengers traveling with him.

"All of the occupants have been interviewed already," said Lee, who would not comment further on the investigation into the crash.

(Message edited by dakid on July 20, 2008)
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2008, 12:18 AM Reply   
saw the aftermath didnt know what it was till we read the newpaper this morning. there was about 8 sheriff/coast guard boats and a Coast guard heli looking for im guessing the mom when we rolled through
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2008, 1:00 AM Reply   
yeah i drove past it to and it was really sad stuff, it was way to crazy of a weekend on the water.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-21-2008, 4:42 AM Reply   
My wife noticed her coming out while we were coming back from the island Saturday afternoon. I was hauling a refrigerator in my aluminum boat with a friend and I didn't notice her but the wife says she was driving it really wildly and almost hit another PWC that she appeared to be out with. She was riding one of those newer, high powered blue ones I guess (not familiar with brands)

Later when the CG heli hovered for quite a while right where the 5 zone ends, we figured something bad had happened.

Video on the morning news looked like her PWC had been T-boned, there was a V shaped chunk out of it.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-21-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Hey Rich! Plz tell Buffalo we said Hello!
When we were out there for the Delta Sessions shoot, between the fisherman and the PWCS (mostly the fishermen) I can see how that can lead to disaster. But then again, if you are at the river, Havasu, Canyon,Disco or any busy body of water... there are crazies out there!
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
there are crazies out there!

Joe's post doesn't say anything about this personal craft being at fault just collided with another boat. We always assume when we hear PWC it was their fault. I guess all of us sitting here typing are always correct. Not trying to stir anything but this is a tragic ordeal and a kid lost his mother. Prayers go out to the family.

(Message edited by wkbrd on July 21, 2008)
Old    mendo247            07-21-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
WOW what a tragic story.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-21-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
ya i was coming home from work and saw the helicopter and heard all the sirens i live the first bay from fast water. Its very sad indeed. I get irratated every time were out, on the weekends people just have no clue what they are doing in their boats or crafts. I think on the weekends the sherrifs need to be more vigilant. People usually fly right thru the no wake zones or at least are rolling thru at 10mph throwing huge rollers. People just dont think rules are for them. I dont know who was at fault but chances are it could of been avoided.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-21-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Hi Robyn, will do!

JimT

Well I didn't say it was the poor woman who got killed's fault but my wife did ask me if we had seen the "crazy lady with her kid on the jetski" when we got back to our dock. This was well before the accident occurred.

People need to cruise through there at a reasonable speed with their head on a swivel. Until you've actually been through the chaos that's there on Sat/sun afternoons it had to fathom how nuts that area is and every year someone gets killed or seriously injured, this was no anomaly.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
super sad. i really think the state of california, or ALL states for that matter must require ppl to take a boater safety course. there's so many people out there who have no clue as to whats really going on. they have no idea ab the right-aways and when to give way and hold course. those of us who are out there on a regular basis (4-6 times a week) see/experience it all the time. its really unfortunate.

my thoughts go out to the boy and the rest of his family.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-21-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Washington already does, its being phased in by age groups. But that still won't stop people from doing 40+ on a see-doo, or even letting thier kids fly across the water with out helmets on atleast.

Sad thing is the course can be completed on the internet in about 2 hours.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
We just got back from Shasta and heard the news last night. My son Chad is friends with the son. It says in todays paper, he had facial reconstruction yesterday at Oakland Childrens Hosp. We just got home so we will keep udates as we get them.

This is very sad to hear again. Last year about the same time, our neighbor was killed in a jet ski accident as well. I think some serious education should be given to all jet ski owners. It is such a tragedy for these families.

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Hullen family. Pray for Trents recovery.

(Message edited by wakebrdmom on July 21, 2008)

(Message edited by wakebrdmom on July 21, 2008)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-22-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yeah I saw the after scene on the way back to DB. The heli came in and it confirmed what we already had guessed. Pretty sad to read the actual story. Be safe everyone.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-22-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
I had heard yesterday on the news that alcohol was NOT a factor. Our Best Wishes go out to Trent for a speedy recovery! May Jill RIP....
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Trent was released from the hospital on Monday. He had a deep laceration on his cheek and some reconstructive surgery on his face and lost three teeth. After what happened to his mom, he was extremely lucky. I won't go into the gruesome details. The family and friends are putting together fund raisers and meals to help them through this horrible tragedy.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-22-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Does anyone know yet how this happened? Did she run into the boat or did the boat run into them? Alcohol involved by either driver? Either way, this sucks and is sad to hear.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
Sad Story! Just confirms what i have always thought.

Boating Licenses.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-22-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
http://www.kcra.com/news/16932521/detail.html