Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I have just ordered a new Xstar. I have had other wakeboard boats before but not a Mastercraft. I was wanting to know how much extra ballast is suggested and where to put it? I have about four hundred pounds of lead blocks also that I will use. How good is this wake with just the stock ballast. I have rode weighted Xstars before but never paid attention as to how much extra weight. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Not good with stock ballast.

The one I rode had a 600 in each of the back compartments, a 600 on the floor and two 600s in the nose.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
This guy has it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/311813.html?1143736491
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-30-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
I have the FlyHigh custom system for the X-Star. It is 2100lbs total. 2x825 next to the engine and 2x225 under the seats in the bow. It fits perfect.
They are working on a ready-to-go system to plumb it into the standard ballast system.

The wake is great. Bigger and rampier than our old X-Star(X2, now X1).

The handling is great with this weight in the boat.
The problem is POWER. To get this much weight up on a plane is a chore for the engine. We have the MCX and I would definately get the 8.1L if I were to do it again.
My dealer (outstanding guys btw), had a couple of props send over from ACME this week. It is a huge difference and it is very livable now, where it was unsuable with that weight before.
So if you o not have the 8.1L negociate the prop situation with your dealer now, so that it will not be an extra cost afterwards... you will need it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-30-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
aarrrgghhh drooolll, I love that wake with an additional 2k in it. Jesson Videl's boat is sick and he always has the thing loaded to the gills. Such a sick shape!!! Sounds like the above guys know the distribution. Definately re-prop it, it is a cheap and necessary fix.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-30-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
Eddy, how is your system setup, i've sick of manually filling all the sacks but im not sure how to add onto the existing system...thanks a lot
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
If you reprop the boat, is the 310hp motor enough or is it a MUST for the 350hp
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
Eddy do you have to manually (with a pump)fill your extra ballast everytime or did you plumb it into the stock ballast?
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-30-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
you are going to want more than 310 horse otherwise you will have to make the decision of people or sacs cuase you cant have both with a 310.
Old     (riderx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
I run a 550 lbs sack in the port locker a 350 lbs sack in the starboard locker and 350lbs under the bow filler. I am not sure why but I always run extra ballast on the port side to keep the wake clean for my toe side. If you are going to run any ballast at all you will want to re-prop before you even head out.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
riderx, do you have it plumbed through the stock ballast system or what?
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-03-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
I do not have it plumbed in yet. It takes 20 minutes to fill the four sacks with the Tsumami pump.
My plan is to plumb it into the factory system the coming weeks. I will keep you updated on the progress.

I would go with the 8.1L if I were to do it again. Although, after running it fully loaded with 5 adults in the boat all weekend, it sure runs nice now with the new prop and the MCX. If you plan on long cruising trips with the boat, go for the 8.1L. Even with the new prop the engine is revving to high to get a comfortable cruising speed. I've never tried the 310hp, but my gut feeling is that it will not cut it if you plan on loading it down.

Funny thing is, without the ballast it now JUMPS out of the water. It literally throws the observer out of the seat if you gun it without the ballast.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-03-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
eddy,

What prop did you used to have and what did you change it to?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-03-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Eddy, I have been in the xstar with the 310 hp and with 12 people and no ballast we could not even get on plane. Our local dealership wont even sell an xstar with a 310. I was wondering where i could get mor einfo on the flyhigh custom system you are talking about my 06 just arrived and id like to have a more formal system than just sacks laying around. Also i have a friend who has the 8.1 l and wishes now he had just gotten the mcx and re propped it. The mcx has got to be one of the most reputable engines there ever has been in a wakeboat.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-03-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
we had a 04 X-star with the mcx and with an additional 1500 lbsthe boat was able to get on plane but any more weight we would have had to re prop it
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-03-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
Mastercraft sells a factory supercharger for the mcx now that will raise the horsepower up to 425. The whole system is designed by indamar and is basicly plug and PLAY. I think it goes for around $3k ordered and installed at your dealer.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-03-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
The first prop, which I think is called a MC 'high altitude prop', is 13.7 x 15.5.
Both new ACME props are 14.5 x 14.25. The difference between the two ACME props is the blade-shape.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-03-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
What size props you all runnin. I re-propped my 94 Sport Nauty with a 4 blade OJ Brass 13*16. I run brass primarily because it is a delta boat. Plenty of torque and hole shot and maintains a high top speed. My boat originally had a 3 blade. I called West Coast Correct Craft and they recomended OJ Props. I know now Correct craft uses Acme but at the time OJ was OEM. They recomended the size to me. It worked out very nice.

BTW- Engine has 315 HP 5.8L Pro Boss w/ GT-40 Heads(351 Ford TBI EFI)........Ballast= 1000lbs

(Message edited by zride on April 03, 2006)
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-04-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
david, where did you hear about this supercharger? I can't find anything out and im pretty interested, any info would be great
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-05-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I think Daivd missed April 1st by a couple days...
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
I just started working at a MC dealer and i was talking to our head mechanic. He learned all about it at the Master Craft factory service training. Maybe its an 07' thing i'll get more info tomorrow.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-05-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
No i was at the local MC dealer today and this is true what david said is true i didnt get anymore info but i hope to find out this weekend! if you can get 425 hp for 3k more instead of 10k more then why not? I know there are downsides but if taken care of right it seems good.