Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
With all the new riders coming into the scene every year, I'm wondering what some of the new favorites are, and why, aside from the top 15 guys you always see and hear about.

After seeing Dean Smiths "Set of the Day," I have to admit, I was impressed. But, after seeing him in Reno, and spending 3 days on a boat with him this week, he has definitely been added to my list of favorites. His riding is so different. Even his contest pass.

Why? He fricken CHARGES IT! He goes big every time, and takes tricks into the flats that take a lot of guts, like KGB 5s, Indy Tantrum 2 Blinds, Crow Mobes, and backside 5s. Every spin gets a massive grab and poke, before he starts the spin and lands 20 feet out. I feel for his knees, but love his riding.

I also liked watching Adam Fields in Reno. I'd like to see more of his riding for sure.

Not a new rider, but I have a new appreciation for Jeff Weatheralls riding also. He does a lot of tricks you don't see, and brings awesome style.

(Message edited by jarrod on July 17, 2008)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
agree'd jrod...after watchin dean in the pressure cooker vid he blew my mind. that woulda been dope to watch him for a few days in a row...

i'm a big fan of Chris O...that fool RIPS, he's gotta nice, big, clean style of riding, a lot like deans but a little toned down.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-17-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
Dean Smith's riding reminds me a lot of what Mark Kenney looked like. Huge, tech and just different. I remember watching MK boost a huge switch mobe into the flats during a PWT event, crazy!!

I've also been enjoying Jeff McKee lately, just because he rides like a regular guy but on a higher level. Nothing too ridiculous just smooth a stylish.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-17-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
Ok here's mine to watch out for next year.

Pro Men,
B-Hutt
Olly Derome
Chris O
Kyle Alberts
Austin Hair

Jr's
Steel Lafferty
Phillip Aslinger
Daniel Powers
Jarrod Askew
Bob Soven

Lady's
Nicola of course
Hoffman girls
Raimi Merritt
And the young cable rider out of Orlando, (drawing a blank on the name) sorry.
Old    slideit            07-17-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
young cable rider out of orlando?
so many little rippers out there
here's a new video of megan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzDRo04i9c
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
yeah megans it for the next few years,

(Message edited by vin on July 17, 2008)
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
dean smith
adam errington
jimmy lariche<-- next for bs 9.. in my book
Old    walt            07-17-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
I have to say Dean Smith's run was my favorite at Reno.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-17-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
Yeah Dean killed it and goes sooo big. Adam Fields also had a nice couple of rides in Reno, first trick off the dock with a booted Bee Sting, impressive.
Old     (scott313)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
I got to watch Dean ride in person this week and he kills it! He goes HUGE, has tons of style and a giant bag of impressive tricks! He's definitely on my favorite riders list!
Old    110outlet            07-17-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Dean Smith has really kicked it up a few notches, i like his overall riding and his relaxed approach to wakeboarding and after watching a recent clip of chris O'shea hes impressed me as well.

(Message edited by 110outlet on July 17, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Oh of course..can't believe I forgot to mention B-Hutt. He's a great kid too, and a real professional. He's gt a serious outlook on the career ahead of him.

Kyle Alberts was also on the boat this week. He has a bright future ahead of him. He was throwing grabbed back 7s, mobe 5s, all kinds of techy stuff.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-18-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
DEAN SMITH ALL THE WAY he is so HOT right now! That guy can freaking through DOWN!

Also Ryan King, watch out for this young ripper he is going to make a name for himself. Sick rider good head on this his shoulders.
Old    wakejjboard12            07-18-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
nicola
adam e
phil aslinger
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-18-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
"just because he rides like a regular guy but on a higher level" prefect description of his riding Big Heavy.

ever since i saw that little clip of his on alliance i've been diggin the hell outta his style, i've probably watched that clip 100 times, that gets me amp'd to ride.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-18-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
My two new favorites are Tino because of his effortless pop and super smooth snowboard style and Dean Smith. Dean is balls to the wall with some insane style. I wish i could of caught him freeriding the D this week.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Wassup J-Rod! 3 days of riding with Dean Smith, where the pictures? Post em up already dog!
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-18-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
dustin o'ferrall
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Keep your eye on the magazines buddy. I was just a driver.

There were only a few other boats out. The few that saw us probably had no idea what they were seeing.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-18-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
me and JR saw you guys heading outta disco lst night following the DRA supra ab 9:30. We were pulling into my house in the first bay. We searched everywre last night for good water chop everywere except for a small stretch of old river. We were hoping to run into you guys ridin but its the worst ive seen it in a month.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-18-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
ummm I think I saw something hahaaa
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-18-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
I like adam errington because he comes into the wake just as crouched as i do and everyone has always gave me crap for that. I personally like it. But for someone thats not a top 15 guy I like Collin Harrinton because I wish i could be as stylish as that guy.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-18-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
not new on the seen, but for '08 my favorite rider switched from harf to chad after seeing this short video here: [http://alliancewake.com/video_details_extreme.php?id=3260]
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-21-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Derek Cook has been one of mine since before he went pro and still kinda is.

also:
Chris Dykmans
Jason Buffalo
Keith Lyman
Parks just cuz he can do everything
Old    110outlet            07-22-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
That pull scraps clip is great! Its nice to see what guys do in a set or short trip. Gives you a great idea of what there style is instead of a perfect clip. I think i need a ronix one, every one that rides that rips, so may be i will rip on it to.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
the ONE is a great deck for sure, but I love my COV1N too. I think I've posted that clip in just about every thread on W.W.

Anyone else notice that the Rusty fan club grew exponentially this year??? not to mention the fact that Fuel seems to be doing some subliminal advertising for him...