Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I figure there had to be a bunch of WW peeps out at Shasta over the long weekend. What's the story? We've got a houseboat trip there in 3 weeks. Taking the boat out of Silverthorn. Is there going to be any water? How are the launch ramps? I'm already thinking we'll have to launch the wakeboats over at Bridge Bay and drive over to Silverthorn to meet up.

Any info is appreciated.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Evan,

The Payton's, Twelkers, and Aikens will be there for 10 days starting on July 11th. I will call you and let you know what it looks like.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
We're going to be up there July 12-19. My father-in-law is pretty sure that our normal spot up the Obrien is going to be high and dry, but we will probably be somewhere near there.

Any idea on how the smoke is up there? We are going to have my 2 year old daughters and my 7 month old nephew with us and we are concerned about the air quality.

Also, are they still screening for the mussels on I-5 or was that only earlier in the year?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Great. Let me know.

I'd be on the lookout for the mussel screening. Try to get your tanks as dry as possible and pull both plugs if you've got more than one.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Evan. Thanks for the heads up. We are taking two boats. One (my brother in law's) hasn't hit the water in quite some time so he should be fine. The other is my father-in-law's nautique 196. No tanks and he only rides on small private lakes. I think they should be fine, but I will give them a heads up just the same. Let me know if you hear anything about the air up there.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-07-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
We just got back from Trinity and Lake Britton 6/26-7/5. No mussel screenings.

We had good luck with the smoke, moved one day early from Trinity to Britton due to thick smoke but good after that. All depends on the wind direction as some days were Crystal clear and others smokey.

Have fun.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
DRA-

Thanks for the info on the screening and the smoke. We're keeping out fingers crossed for good air.
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-07-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
I was at trinity 6/26-7/6 and didn't have any screening, but im headed to shasta on 7/26 to silverthorn so hows the water? trinity was low enough that when we were riding dirtbikes we found the foundations of the old trinity center.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
For Mussel screenings, get your boat to be dry as can be. Tell them your boat has been out of the water and dry for more than a week. Those are the magic words.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
Evan, Just got back last nite. The lake is low, the ramp at silverthorn is really low but boats are being launched. Bridge bay launch ramp is still in good shape by the courtesy dock. Stayed in the mccloud arm and squaw creek. The 5 mph bouy is way up from where it usually is. Theres alot of trees showing in the beginning of squaw and the pit. Be careful new islands pop up daily, even in the main lake by silverthorn. Water was nice though we got alot of good riding and had an awesome time. The fires and smoke is mainly by the dam and in the sac arm. The fire burned down to the dirt next to the dam while we where there. Went to the little backbone falls and that was great. Water temp is good but they are dumping water at an alarming rate. You have to move the HB every day sometimes twice. Oh there is no mussel inspections on the lake or on I-5. Does not seem to be a problem up there. Have fun . Tony
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-07-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
Evan............you know I own a houseboat at Silverthorn. I can give you all details before your trip. I will be there the week before and the time you are there too. I should get a crew and tie up next to you. Just give me a call and I will let you know whatever you need. Oh and next time let me know in advance when you are renting. I hope they gave you guys a good deal.

Tony.....where were ya, I called you but always went straight to voice mail.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Right on... Thanks for the info, Tony.

Kimmy I'll give you a call.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-08-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
Evan - looks like Marc & myself will be up there that week if everything works out on a buddies boat out of Jones Valley. God to see you guys up at Tahoe, we missed ya on the 4th, I dropped my cell phone right after ya left off the dock, so I could not recieve any calls what so ever, 3rd cell phone of the year for me.
Old    wayknbayk            07-08-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Mike...you wouldnt happen to be going on that houseboat for a bachelor party would ya? Just curios, I will be out there next week outa Jones Valley for a friends party..look for the wakeworld jersey!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-08-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
That would be me
Old    wayknbayk            07-08-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Wow...small world eh! Cant wait..its always great to meet other wakeworld members..see ya then.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-08-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Dave - how do you know Jeff?????
Old    wayknbayk            07-08-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
He's actually a friend of a friend. I am really good friends with the best man and was fortunate enough to be invited.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-08-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES

Have a blast fellas, it def. looks low @ 63% but a bad week @ Shasta is better than a good week @ work!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-09-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha... right on. Sounds like it'll be a proper party that week.

Mike, thanks for having us over at the house. That place was amazing. I buzzed ya on the fourth, but didn't want to crash the party. I knew you guys had been putting 'em back for a full week already. I figured you may need a day for a bit of a cool off before the weekend. Sorry to hear about the phone. Just make sure you keep it dry up at Shasta so we can hook up.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-11-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Any word on how the air is at the lake? We are leaving tomorrow morning and my wife is concerned about the kids. I heard the evacuated the old town of Shasta because of the fires. Any info would be appreciated.
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-11-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
anyone been up squaw lately? Im getting my houseboat next saturday.
Old     (bryguy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
We have a trip planned for next weekend. I was concerned about the water level, but now this is a whole new issue. We are planning on taking our 2 month old, but not into that smoke. The shastalake.com website has some pretty great pictures and seem to be keeping them up to date, I guess it will have to be a game time decision. I appreciate the updates.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
We were out at the lake last night and actually launched at the damn witch is right next to the fires and you couldnt even smell smoke. The smoke is not bad at all at the lake but is pretty bad in town. I had my kids out there for a week over the 4th and my friend kids (one is 6 months old), air quaility isnt a really issue but farther away from the damn I guess the better.

dyer, the evacuations in old shasta is a problem for Whiskytown and has hwy 299 closed now but isnt a concern for Shasta lake as those fires are West of Redding. I have some pics I took of the fires last night but they're too big so i'll try and resize them and put them up later.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Dan, we hung out on the squaw a couple of weeks ago and it was nice, a little narrow in some spots but the water was good and we had no problem boarding. Regardless of were you go just keep an eye out for trees ect...lots of stuff sticking up out of the water with the level being down so far.

(Message edited by bkoz on July 12, 2008)
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Thanks byron. I know we will have to keep a good eye for trees. I just talked to my daughter who works holiday harbor and silverthorn, they hit their prop in the 5 mph area on something yet to be marked. I still cant wait.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-20-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
We just got back yesterday. The entire week had an overcast to it, but Friday was by far the worst. We were up the Sacramento in the Obrien. On Friday ash came down for a couple of hours. The smoke was definitely the thickest then. I took an evening run, but had to cut it short because the smoke was starting to kick my allergies into high gear. By Sat. morning it cleared up considerably, but it was definitely present all week. I'd say that most of the week it was visible, but not bad.

The smoke did have its advantages because it kept the weather at a nice moderate temp. It was warm enough to hang out in the water, but not too hot where you needed to be in the water.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-20-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
Just got back today. Dyer is on the money about the smoke situation. Today was markedly better, at least in the morning. I'm not sure if the fires are getting under control or if the wind direction improved things. We spent the week in Big Backbone. Pretty good riding most of the time. Fewer boats on the lake- probably due to low water, low economy, and low air quality.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-20-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
BTW- a note on the low water: The lake is about 103 feet down. It's still a very big lake. Launching may be a bit difficult, depending where you are. Once you're on the lake, you don't notice it much. Some of your favorite coves and inlets will be a bit shorter than usual. There is still plenty of fun to be had. Watch for obstacles. No worse than usual- just different. Islands are popping up in some unexpected places.