Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have been riding casually for a couple of years but am really trying to step up my skills this year and have been working real hard. I am 6' and weigh 190 by the way. I have always riden at 65' and 21 mph and have been working on getting maximum pop which is going well. I can get nice height and go W2W no problem. It seems like I have been a bit limited though due to the speed and line length. Just yesterday I took the line out to 70' and 23 mph and noticed a big difference. My question is, what is the proper progression for speed and line length? Should I be staying at a shorter rope until I can throw the flip or does one need to add length and speed to get to that point? And then how far and how fast should I work up to. I really want to start working on tantrums and backrolls next and would like to eliminate the variable of speed and length. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
Do what feels comfortable. My friends like to ride long, I like to ride @70 22.7mph. It really just depends on the boat and wake, but if you are clearing wake everytime on a poppy, small cut W2W, then you could probably stand to increase. Keep in mind that the longer the rope, the less tension you have, which makes new tricks that require less tension (spins and grabs) a lot easier, but may make some inverts (backrolls, frontrolls etc) a little harder, as well as the fact that you have to clear both wakes on a new trick.

Good luck!