Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
Its been nearly 3 days and i'm still sore as hell. Whats a good home remedy for soreness? Stretching?
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-20-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Snowboard all winter or stay active in other ways like working out. I do Crossfit but other Cats on here stay in shape with P-90X. My only soreness was bad knees taking repeated landings not as soft as powder-kickers or sloped snow-landings.

As for now though just send some time in hot tubs, get a massage if you can afford it and pop some motrin to reduce your inflammation.
Old    kidrik            05-20-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
SEX!..........well, at least you forget about it for a minute.........even though there will be fifty nine seconds of awkward silence......
Old    murrayair            05-20-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
Stretch before you ride and you won't be nearly as sore the next day. My first ride was Saturday and I'm still a little sore, too.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-21-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
Stretch, stretch, stretch. Stretching is one of the most important aspects of wakeboarding, I have let it lead into the rest of my life, I start every morning out with a 20-30 minute streching session. Gotta stay flexible in this sport for sure, never gunna get that nuclear grab if your not. I hit the gym a lot over the winter months. Living here in Minnesota I feel your pain on those first rides out, no matter how much time I spend in the gym the first few rides just hurt.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
I wish no one would ever stretch if it meant getting rid of the nuclear grab :-).

Really though - stretching is super important and it's something I definitely need to do more of myself. Hitting the gym is important too, and I think developing a strong core (abs, back, obliques) will do wonders. Bottom line regardless of how hard I hit the gym throughout the off-season, I will end up sore for a few days following the first ride of the year. You could also 'take it easy' and kind of ease your way back into it your first few times out, but I always find myself doing a few wakejumps then charging just like it was the middle of the previous year, which is probably why I pay for it in soreness so much the next few days :-).
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
i rode saturday and today is the first day that i can lift my arms above my head! yikes! of course, i pretty much slacked off all winter. not gunna do that again!
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Stretching before you ride is important but I find that for myself stretching after I ride does the best job of reducing soreness. Keeping hydrated will also help.

(Message edited by iukekini on May 21, 2008)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I don't mind the first ride soreness. It reminds me that some of the muscles are coming back to life! I workout in the offseason, so it is not too bad, but back when I didn't workout a flight of stairs looked almost insurmountable the days after.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
I rode on Sunday, sneezed on Tuesday and almost died!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
i don't think there is anyway around the soreness of your first set of the season. it is impossible to use all of the muscles, and in the same way that you do when you board. you can spend all the time in the gym, stretching, doing P-90X and what not...if you took any significant amount of time off from boarding, you are bound to be somewhat sore after your first time back on the water - unless your Chuck Norris of course
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-21-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
....Or Randall Harris....
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
I felt the pain for about 3 days after the first ride, I stretched some the week leading up to it. The second trip out, I played about 3 hours of competitive basketball the night before and I was surprisingly not sore after that set.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-21-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
does anyone know what to do for knee pain? I am only 23 and I played a bunch of basketball the last couple days and my knees feel shot. It scares me that when I board I am going to shred a knee. Probably wouldn't hurt for me to drop a few pounds, but still my knees just don't feel sturdy right now.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-21-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Luke, get a balance board or skate a lot! Great for the knees. I use a balance board all winter and when the snow comes off I skate my half pipe. It really worked well last season for me. I tore mine up for two years and last year felt great and no knee injuries!
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-21-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
for soreness: eat more bananas. Im not saying overload on them, but the extra potassium helps hydrolyze (get rid of) lactic acid, which is the main reason for muscle soreness.

Stretch as well.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-22-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
it lasts longer every year for me :-)