Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
Here is a guy that puts so much emphasis on legitimate grabs. Then I check out photos of him on the main page of this site, and he has 2 photos where he grabs tindy and one photo where he grabs tailfish. This guy is sick and has had some tight video parts, but practice what you preach Randy.....
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-21-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
I was lucky enough to see Randy ride at Boardstock this weekend and all I have to say is that he had the most style out of a pretty talented grouping of riders and went bigger than any.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Wow, The very few times he shows up to put on a show and he gets rather harsh criticism. Tough crowd.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
There's nothing wrong with a tindy grab just that most people don't look good when they do it. Randy, however, does.
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
tindy never looks good
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Well next time Randy makes an appearance on his home turf, why don't you come on down and tell him he has no style. That would be funny, then you guys can go head to head and everyone can be the judge! I was just stoked to see that Randy came out, supported CLWC and had a lithe honey on his arm. Good on ya Vandall, good on ya.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I hate style-nazis. I assume you can do your grabbed 3's, 5's, and 7's twice as high as Randy all with "legit" grabs with your passing hand, correct? And a poked tindy glide with a backside air looks really good just for the record.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
fire eye'd boy, you must be a really good wakeboarder.
Old    mendo247            08-21-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
HATERS!!!! find something better to do(check my profile quote).. everything randy does looks good..
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Besides, on a backside spin, a tindy has the same function as a slob grab. Is grabbing slob uncool now too? Better tell Sean O'Brien to stop doing his slob HS 9
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-21-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
I'm just glad to see Randall back on the water.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
I did several Tindies and Tailfishes over the weekend.

I looked great doing them.
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
First, Let me re-state what I said at the beginning...

"This guy is sick and has had some tight video parts"

So I don’t really hate the guy.

Second, I never claimed to be better then Randy. He has more talent in his pinky finger then any of us have all together.

I was simply making a statement.

Besides, constructive criticism doesn’t have to be a bad thing!

I guess if I watch a hockey game and a defenseman jumps into the play when he shouldn’t, which leads to an odd man rush which leads to a goal, I can’t say that he screwed up because that would be hating the guy?

I come from a snowboard background, and you don’t see people grab tindy, nelon, tailfish, and slob, so when I make a statement like this, its because I don’t think those grabs look stylish.

I’m not taking anything away from Randy Harris; I'm just stating an opinion. And I’m not trying to hurt anybodies feelings!

(Message edited by funkytown on August 21, 2006)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yea I think you got a little hosed but then at the same time it came off a little bad... especially to a board full of people that have LOADS of respect for the guy!
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
For sure,

I have alot of respect for his riding as well, so maybe i shouldnt have singled him out, and made more of a general observation! haha
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Tindy's are pimp. Ha, ha, ha. I'm stoked to see Randy back on the water. I hope he keeps after it. BTW... It's skates that say tindy's aren't dope. That's because you can't do it on a skateboard. If you use it like a grab should be (to pull/poke the board), then any grab is sick.

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
When I see people make these comments about legit grabs it makes me laugh. I can't help but think..."here's some one that's just trying way to hard."

Or maybe you're looking for acceptance or recognition as some sort of authoritive figure. But, this is just wakeboarding.

These grabs don't exist in other sports. Well handle passes don't exist in other sports either. For some tricks, Tindy is the natural and it looks better than others imo.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Evan is a tindy PIMP!
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Its true, my parents didnt love me, now i have to look for acceptance from wakeboarding forums. But now i will have to look elsewhere, because everyone is supposed to have the same opinion.....is there any good goth sites on the internet?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Fire eye'd boy: I am pretty sure Randy does'nt care what you think (or what anyone else thinks for that matter). He has always done what he wants to do regardless of what is "cool" or "trendy"; and that's what makes him such a progressive and stand out rider.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Whats up with all of the loads of respect that everyone on here gives him??? How many of you have met him?? I have twice and both have been a horrible experience!! He didn't "respect" me and my crew so I really don't respect him. Yes, he is a great rider and has alot of style to say the least but cmon... I'm sure I'm gonna get ripped for this but this is JUST MY EXPERIENCE. And No, he doesn't care what I say or think either. Carry on...
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Jim I agree with you

he wasnt cool to me and some firends when we met him either.... tahts when I lost all my respect for him
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
huh...with a name like randall the vandal you would think that he would be the nicest guy you ever met.Yeah. I am not up on the gator board but is he riding the same shape as 4 years ago. The same as the old obrien?
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-21-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Am I the only one who realised that he was riding with a center fin?? he who is the pioneer of finless boards... don't get my wrong, there's nothing negative in that statement... it just seems a bit strange to me... you guys are pretty touchy...
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
and i guess my point is, wouldn't it be radder if he was actually grabbing the tail of the board or indy instead of just trying to grab it? ummm, yes
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
I wonder how many pro's actually read these types of threads (and dont respond and/or register). It seriously reminds me of a bunch of school girls standing around talking crap about others. "like, ohh my God, he grabbed tindy and is riding with a center fin, what a looser"

I find this whole topic and the criticizing of pro's in general pretty funny.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Jonathan, the site where the comp was held can get pretty choppy in the afternoon. I've had a hell of a time setting an edge there so he was probably looking for a little extra grip in the slop. Very similar shape mike
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-21-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   

quote:

When I see people make these comments about legit grabs it makes me laugh. I can't help but think..."here's some one that's just trying way to hard."

Or maybe you're looking for acceptance or recognition as some sort of authoritive figure. But, this is just wakeboarding.

These grabs don't exist in other sports. Well handle passes don't exist in other sports either. For some tricks, Tindy is the natural and it looks better than others imo.

Amen, brother!! I made several grabs this weekend and I really couldn't tell you where on the board my hand was or if it was a "legit" grab. I'm just happy to make the grab and land without killing myself. What I do remember about my ride was that I had a great time!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
No disrespect to anyone or their views and Randall is a sick a$$ rider with a bag full of stylish tricks, but I do remember reading a article/interview back in the day when he was very critical of anyone (pro's included) for not doing legit grabs and he pointed out tindy & tailfish. All i'm saying if your going to call out others for doing them, then stay true to yourself and don't. With that said I don't have a problem with a little poked out Tailfish myself.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Ok, I come from a skate board back ground back when launch ramps were the thing to hit. So we had to grab all the time to keep the board on your feet and tweak it out. Now I wakeboard I could not tell you the difference from a slob or mute grab, but I can grab all over the place. So to me if there is a spot on the board I can grab I am going to grab it and not worry who says its right or wrong. This is wakeboarding not skate or snow so we can grab were we want. Snap call me a old school poser I don't care I am out there to have fun for myself and watch my friends learn new tricks and also have fun. Oh ya one more thing I am the OG of the Frantrum and proud of it. So go out and have fun all. Its also killer to see Randy back killing it again.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Hell yeah Squid, the Frantrum dosen't get the respect it deserves
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
if it looks good i dotn care what u call it
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   

quote:

if it looks good i dotn care what u call it

what if we never named a trick? people would ask: "whoa what was that?" "it was sick that's what it was." if that's the way it was, then people would only do tricks that look good and feel cool. We need less acrobats in this sport.

answer this: why grab your board?

a lot of idiots out there look like they're grabbing their board just cuz it's there, so they can say "look I did a grab." Ask 'em how it felt, and they'll say "what do you mean?"

and just for the record, those grabs that you think randall is grabbing tindy, I'm almost positive he's doing half-cab fronts.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-26-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
I give much more respect to someone that does legit grabs, it shows that the rider has the skill, control, and awareness to grab in the legit spots. For example on the photo posted by C.I.E.....Evan, it is a cool shot and I can see the guy is having a blast wakeboarding, that is the point of riding. But I also see that he did not put that extra effort (call it skill) to grab the tail, which is harder than tindy. For the average rider it doesn't matter, as long as they are grabbing the board and having a good time. For the higher level/pro riders, I feel that solid grabs, consistant in the legit spots separates really them from the norm. The rider is not just grabbing wherever, rather he/she is precise in his/her movements and it really shows in the final product. Too legit to quit.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-26-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Good point Tony, here's a shifty with a more difficult grab.
Upload

Tougher/legit grabs do seperate a riders skill level IMO.

(Message edited by solo on August 26, 2006)
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
To all the people that are saying, "not to disrespect anyone" before their post, theres no need... I think we all respect eachother on here, and its sad that anyone would need to say "no disrespect" on every post they make. Most of the people here are adults and mature so we dont need to worry about haters or any of that. When someone posts they are stating their opinion, and we all view things differently
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Bros!!! Randy rode at the nationals event today! I can die a happy lady...
Old     (cptoafficiency)      Join Date: May 2006       08-26-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
One thing I also noticed about Randy is that he seems to slap on a lot of tricks as well. That being said, he's at least trying to grab on most tricks and he has the sickest video parts I've seen (Thrillas, 2 in Retrospect). I think the "haters" are the ones ripping on Fire Boy, not Fire Boy...he's just expressing his opinion which I happen to mostly share. I do think nuclear grabs (and other tech/difficult grabs like that) are pretty sick on tannys, backrolls, etc...
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
How did he ride at nationals?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
He rode BIG, but had a couple of falls and only landed 3 tricks in 2 passes, His style is not suited well for pro tour comps. Fun to watch though.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-27-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
As long as you make it looks stylish it doent matter where you grap you board.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Wanna what is REALLY FUNNY? I have no friggin idea what a 'tindy' or 'tailfish' grab is!!

Wanna know what else? It really doesn't bother me at all.

Sean
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-27-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Same here Sean, what is tindy? Is tindy just a grab not in a specific named spot?
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Tindy --> In between a tail and an indy grab.

Tailfish --> In between a tail and an stalefish grab.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-27-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Oh alright thanks Paul for explaining that for me.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
LOL, ok, so then what is an 'indy' and a 'stalefish' grab?

Sean
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       08-27-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
WOW!! Talk about beating a dead horse...I think that is the saying...anyways, to go as big as Randy does and grab anything blows my mind, if anyone has garbed an invert they know how hard it is to grab an invert with as hard as an edge and as much momentum that Randy has...that's all i have to say!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-28-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
are there names for the sloppy grabs on the front of the board?? like between a melon and a nose?
Old    funkytown            08-29-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
nelon (inbetween melon and nose)
slob (inbetween mute and nose)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
actually, a slob on a skateboard isn't an "in between" grab. It's actually a mute grab on a frontside air (so it's direction dependent, and is grabbed in between your feet). Things were probably lost in translation somewhere along the way, probably in snowboarding, when you had narrow stances and huge noses. but that last part is my own theory. I just wanted to say that a slob is actually (ahem) "proper."
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Am going to back you up there Chef...

The guys who I skated with years ago always referred to a slob grab as a legit grab...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
totally. It's really interesting looking at skating and seeing where their grabs are, as opposed to snow/wake. As an example, on a skateboard a crail grab is actually on the nose (or very near the nose--there's really not a lot of room to mess up on that one), but is grabbed with your back hand. Obviously in wake and snow, it's grabbed with the same hand, but right in front of your front foot.