Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
I am in the process in changing my stock steering wheel for a custom designed. I looked at it and it doesnt seem to pull in the same manner as a car steering wheel....I dont want to screw anything up so has anybody else done this. Also I have an adaptor but its for a GM (3hole, center having teeth) my boat is just a single center hole no teeth?....
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-22-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
Pictures please, also make/model would help. My Centurion has 5 hex screws around the center hole.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
sorry Sanger V215 2005..I took a picture will post this evening...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   

Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-22-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Kenny,
It's hard to tell from the picture but I think behind your wheel there is a rubber boot. Peel that back and you will find a screw or maybe two take those those screws out, and your there. Let us know if that worked?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
behind the whell is the black collar in the picture, then a 1/2 inch space then a boot, I didnt play with it much cause it was on tight...
even if I diconnect behind the boot I still need to get it off the shaft? I will take more pics soon as my batteries recharge...should only be bout an hour...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-23-2005, 12:14 AM Reply   
here are better pics...

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-23-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Old    jmo52            02-23-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
Two types of pullers will work. they are both based on the same idea. downward pressure on the steering wheel shaft and upward on the collar. The first puller is a triangular piece of metal with three bolt holes a each corner and a piece of threaded rod going through the center. you bolt the puller to the collar using the three bolt holes at each point of the puller( they should line up with the bolt holes from where the steering wheel came off the collar). once it's bolted to the collar you screw down the threaded rod onto the steering wheel shaft. So your pushing down on the shaft and pulling up on the collar. That is a flywheel style puller. the other is basically the same thing except instead of bolting it to the collar it has three hooked fingers that hook on the back side of the collar. The rest of the procedure is the same. Hope you can make somthing out of that. Let me know.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-23-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
Hey monk I have the 1st setup and it doesnt work,,corner holes are too small to be bolted to..I willhave to try and find the other to see if it works...my friend said to tap on it but I am afraid I might damage the gears in the colom?
Old    jmo52            02-23-2005, 11:39 PM Reply   
Try your local parts store(Kragen Pep Boy's Napa) they might have the right puller. Also if you can skin back that boot and clamp a pair of vise grips just below the colar. Leave enough roon for a larger straight slot screw driver or pry bar.So take a hammer while prying up with the screwdriver against the collar just tap the steering wheel shaft.You may need an extra set of hands.You will know right away if this is gonna work. Don't go crazy.Hey you can always bring her up to Monk Marine and I'll Get r Done for nuthin.. Good luck
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-24-2005, 12:18 AM Reply   
Just curious by tapping on it can you mess up any of the gears (or anyting else) in the collar?
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-24-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
Just tap lightly on the center bolt (with the handle of a hammer) while pulling the outer ring toward you, don't loose the little sliver of metal called a 'key'! It keeps things lined up

(Message edited by breadbutta on February 24, 2005)
Old    jmo52            02-26-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
Kenny did you get it? You wont hurt it if you give it some taps. You'll know if it's gonna work or not. Your best bet is to use some type of puller. I dont know the extent of your tools but you could fab a puller and make it work.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-26-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
trying tonight... been working...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
got it!!! Thanx for the help!!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
No problem, I have my wheel off also, replacing Faria guages.