Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    cdruce            07-04-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
I have a 71 T-Craft and would like to install a tower, i have noticed that most of the boats have the tower installed fwd of midship. is there a reason for this? Ihave more access and support at the stern.Also this is a 21 ft pleasure boat just cant afford the boy's extreme habit with a dedicated ski boat. It pulls him up fast and with the addition of a "whale tail" it corners pretty good. Most tricks are done straight ahead anyway. He is just eager for airtime. PLEASE dont suggest I buy a new boat yet.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-04-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
Well airtime comes from good technique and a big wake. A tower just gives you more hangtime. So fatsacs and practice is the answer. A non-stretch rope is vital also. I would much rather have these items than a tower.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-05-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
First investment should definately be a good board, bindings and rope, as well as a few videos to learn good edging and all the basic's. If he's talked you into that already then get 600lb sacks for the front and rear of the boat to start. You can get darn good wakes out of I/O's and outboards since you can use the trim to help get a clean ramp on the wake. It will take most riders as far as we can get time for.

A tower or pylon will definately help. There is no structural or technical reason you could not mount a tower at the very back or front of a boat. It's more an function and appearance issue.

If you need a tower that folds down the towers that fold to the back would not work so well but there are towers that fold to the front that could still fold down. The look would be different and the rope would not be as high. Check out a link to all the tower companies at http://www.worldwakeboardcouncil.com/links.html

There are also Pylons that may be an option.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-06-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
Bill I've got to give you some props, instead of pimping your tower (which is nice!) you offer up great advice and direct this potential customer to look at all the tower companies. You are class man! Total Class!

I wish Monster Tower would make a mini tower so I could buy one!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
Bill,

Is there any reason not to mount a MonsterTower backwards? I can't really think of a reason why it would be a problem.

MAC,

What is the difference between "airtime" and "hangtime?"

Charles,

One important reason for mounting the tower right above the driver/windshield is that it is out of the way. A few towers mount toward the stern but a lot of people seem to think they get in the way. The dynamics of moving the tow point fore and aft are too complicated to really predict, i.e. if boat will track differently, if the hull will roll more or less, etc. I can only assume, however, that companies have tried these different scenarios. If I were you, I'd probably try to position the tow point as close as possible to where all the manufacturers to it.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-08-2004, 9:44 PM Reply   
KStateAlumni - thanks for the props, were rather proud of the Monster but also realize there are others out there with nice towers. Huge prop's to our customers for their vote of confidence.

I think any tower could be installed backwards. The tow point may be at an akward angle and I dont think any tower company has done analysis in this configuration so you would be on your own if you do it. Here is how a photoshopped picture would look of that.