Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Anyone change these things on a DD with a Vortec 5.7 ltr TBI engine? It's no where to be found in the Manual.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-16-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
my fuel filter is back near the fuel tank. behind a panel. did you look by te fuel tank?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
No, I didn't look there yet.
Just trying to get the heads up from someone that knows. It says to change it every 100 hours in my manual.
It's a direct drive MC with the Vortec 5.7 ltr with a TBI.
Does anyone change these themselves?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-22-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
David, I have the same boat and am yet to find a fuel filter!!! I have followed the fuel line from the tank to the engine and it looks to be non-existant. Let me know if and where you find yours. Also, I am taking mine in for some service next week and will ask the mechanic where it is located if there is in fact a filter on it. I think I read somewhere that the MC filter on our boats is inside the tank somewhere and is a lifetime filter. Don't take that for a fact, I just kinda remember seeing it somewhere. Let me know what you find and I will let you know what I find out.1
Old    g3revenge            01-22-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
if you are working on a fuel injected motor, remember that the filter may be under high pressure. you might remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the motor over to relieve the pressure.

a lifetime fuel filter? what are they smokin'. they must not buy gas at the marina. i try not to.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-22-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
thomas, like I said I THOUGHT I saw it somewhere, not that I DID see it. I am talking to my mechanic on friday and will post the location of the filter in the morning.!!
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
I used to have a '02 X-7 with the 310 tbi. The fuel pump is in the gas tank so all the fuel lines are high pressure lines. I wouldn't start pulling hoses without calling your MC dealer. I remember a warning in the manual about it. You may not be able to service this yourself. Sorry, just going from memory.
Old    g3revenge            01-22-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
andrew, i wasn't harping on you. look on page 30 of the pdf file manual that is on the indmar web site. the fuel filter looks like its toward the front of the block on the bottom. (i just downloaded the pre 03 manual.) do the later ones 2003+ have an in-tank?
Old    g3revenge            01-23-2004, 6:14 AM Reply   
i look at the 2003+ manual also. it shows the same etch-a-sketch diagram for the vortec tbi motor.

if the filter is in the tank, that would be a biotch. the engine shot on their home page shows a filter on the starboard side if the block, but it could be an oil filter.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-23-2004, 6:24 AM Reply   
Thanks, Andrew.

It's the same year and engine TLB.

TR, I'll check Indmar's site again for the manual. I checked mine from MC and I couldn't find anything on it.

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2004, 6:38 AM Reply   
On newer MCs, the pump and filter are inside the tank. If I remember correctly, the recommended service interval is every 5 years (I think that is in the MC manual).
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
I followed the fuel lines from the tank to the TBI. this is the only thing I see! If this is not the filter, then the filter is Inside the tank. If it is in the tank I would not mess with it unless you are having problems. This is also making me think the pump is inside the tank too.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-23-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
I know that the pump is inside the tank so I guess you guys are right.

Fred, it said every 100 hours in my manual.
Oh well, it's running perty good.

Andrew, do you ever run injector cleaner (STP) through your fuel system? I put some in for the first time at 270 hours and it made a big difference. Of course, I always run 93 octane. I have not changed my plugs yet, but it may be time since it was (before treating gas) running rough until warmed up.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
I think the 100 hour fuel filter in the manual is a left-over from the in-line filters. Our '96 prostar had the inline and the manual said every 100. I will try to remember to check our '03 manual to see if it has been updated on that point. Wherever I got the info from, i specifally remember that the intervals are really long because I was happy not to have to deal with it every hundred.

Andrew, if your tank has this part on it, you have the in-tank pump/filter:

(Message edited by fbroen on January 23, 2004)
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-23-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
Good deal, thanks a bunch Fred.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
I have that part, and the filter must be in that darn tank.
DAVID, The only fuel injector cleaner I have used is BG-44k. It is by far the very best you can buy. It is recomended by all the boat/car mechanics I have talked to. It is about 3x the price of the stp stuff, but dang is it worth it. It really cleans up the system. Trust me on this and I am sure that everyone on this board will agree that it is the only product that actually works worth a darn, and will not harm a thing. I use 1 can of the stuff every spring. My engine is running like new and I have 1100 hours on the sucker.!!!!!!!!! The fuel filter has never been changed on my boat. I also fill up at gas stations and have NEVER filled at a marina. Knock on wood, I think my filter is still working just fine.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-24-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
I looked at the 03 manual. The fuel pump blurbs do not say how often the filter needs to be changed (or at least I couldn't find it). The reference to every 100 hours is definitively gone. I must have gotten the every-five-year instructions from my dealer. I would be curious to see if all dealers recommend the same interval... I guess Andrew has proven that they seem to work fine for quite a few hours...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-26-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
I guess so!

Right on, Andrew - that's good to know.