Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-13-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
I'm "trying" to build an automated ballast system and was wondering which pumps I should use to fill and drain my different sacs or tanks? I heard that Jabsco was probably the best, any thoughts?
Old     (kent_fowlie)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-13-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
I posted a few days ago with regards to the Simer BW8512 pump and any other options. The Simer BW8512 is the one I will likely use when I begin installation in a couple months (boat is away for the winter). The BW8512 is a self priming pump that is reversible (although not advertised as such). You need a 3 position switch to activate it. Also, I do not think it meets coast guard approval for use in boats, therefore you can not install it in the engine bay. It is good for roughly 600gph and is about one quarter the cost of an equivalent Jabsco. I can not vouch personally for this pump, but many people swear by it.

Old    steveb7            01-14-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
I've had trouble finding this pump online where can you buy it?
Old    kennethl            01-14-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
Blains Farm and Fleet sells them for $52ea (USD)
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-14-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
Is blains a local store ken? My farm and fleet wanted alot more for them?
Old    kennethl            01-14-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
I walked in and they had two on the shelf marked at $52. As far as I know its a corporate store. The ph of the store is (217)367-1354. I bet they would ship.

Ken
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-14-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
The simmer pump not being US Coast Guard approved is enough to steer me clear... Yes many many people swear by them, and Im sure they work great. They are less expensive than the Jebsco too but Im not willing to chance it. I like my boat in one piece not thousands!! my 2 cents
I bought 2 jebsco on line and they included Master Craft 3 way switches.. They are great... I run 5 of them in my X-Star...
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-14-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
here is my set up, three attwood pumps at 750gph, 1 inch sprinkler valve all on a 1.25 inch manifold. Three three way reversable switches, and a locking power on/off switch. All pumps are helm controlled to control fill and empty, Currently running hard tanks but will change it out to 500pd sacks when the new boat comes in. I currently run this system in my 95 super and it works great. I have a seacock manual valve to shut off the water from the scupper valve, but rarely use it.
total cost for the manifold set up was around $100.00, lowes and walmart. The switch panel was around 100.00 also, the three way carling switches are pretty expensive.
Mike
manifold
switch panel
switch panel
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-14-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
cdm,
when you run all jabsco pumps at the same time, does the fill rate slow down from the amp draw? I dumped my jabsco's setup for this reason.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-14-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
I have two batteries and no I have not noticed a reduction in fill rate. Don't know for sure though. All pumps run from the same manifold/ hose intake from through-hull scoop. I usually don't run all of them at the same time however. You could always kick up the rpms right???? Next summer I will run some tests and let you know. For now I am happy with the little time it takes to fill all 7 sacs/tanks... 3 stock tanks(1000 lbs), 2 - 500 lb sacs in back and 2
- 275lbs sacs in bow under seats..
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-14-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
cdm
when I ran the three jabscos to fill at the same time, the system slow to a stop, ran one pump to fill each tank separately and the pump ran great, two pumps on at the same time slowed fill time down to where the pumps were barely pumping, three on and they didnt turn at all? I tried to figure out on how to run relays for all the pumps, but couldnt figure out the reversing process on the relays, alot of people emailed me schematics from this site, but I got frustrated and dumped the setup, also, my jabsco's kept cutting off when they would run for a period of time, does yours ever do this. the attwoods were cheaper etc. and all I had to do was screw them into my 3/4 inch holes on the manifold. I am planning to install the picture set up in my new boat when it arrives in Feb., dump the hard tanks and plumb sacks in etc.
Old    moe            01-14-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
Mike, Where do you find sprinkler valves that work on 12 volt?
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-14-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Mike, The RainBird DVF 1" Valve could be why you could only run on pump at a time. If you unscrew the top of the valve you will see the diaphram that opens and closes the valve. IMO you will need a bigger valve, keep in mind that the valve is made to be under pressure. In you case there is no pressure and you are trying to pull water though the valve. IMO it is not the best way to do so, if you must try to go with a bigger valve like 3" it should help some the diaphram is a lot bigger, bigger valve. I would use the Calabria idea, RV Dump or waste valves with a auto dump. You can get the waste valves is you correct size. But I would still go with a 2" valve for the rv idea, than you can run all three pumps at once.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-14-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
Moe, most all valves work on a 12v system. The irrigation clock has a 12v transformer in it.
Old    moe            01-14-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
I thought they need 24v. hmm. I just bought cable operated valves from flow-rite. Wish i'd known those work
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-15-2004, 4:39 AM Reply   
whirlybird, didnt run the rainbird valve with the jabsco's, didnt need too, it wasnt the waterflow to the pumps that killed the pumps, it was the amp draw on the battery, single battery, running 45amps couldnt sustain the draw for all the pumps to work at full power.
The Rainbird 1 inch valve works great, when I power on my system, opens the valve which lets water pressure into the manifold, I have a scupper valve, when I actually slowly idle, it fills my tanks even faster.When I see water coming out of the sides of the boat I know when to turn it off. Once off, the valve closes the scupper down, or I can manually close the seacock.

I got the idea from using the sprinkler valves from the hippo systems,but they used 3/4 inch valves which were way too small in my opinion.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-15-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have a good thing going, I was not trying to make a big deal about this. But I would like to know more about your system, can you post some more picture.
Old    kennethl            01-15-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
Mike, I didnt know the aireator(sp?) pumps would work in reverse (3 way switching)to empty or am I missing something important? Any trouble running all of the pumps at the same time? Guessing you didnt need relay's?

If they really do work the way I think they do I have to say I'm really impressed its a nice, elegant design, even before price savings. Looks like it would be much faster then dual Jabsco's or simer's and easier to install.
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-15-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
Kenneth,
The three ways are for fill and empty, on my hard tanks I run a rule 700gph red top cartrigde on the drain hole and use the manifold pumps to fill. The three ways are wired for fill/empty per tank, bag etc. this way each bag can be filled or emptied for what ever weight is needed in the boat, two three four people, I dont need them to move around, just adjust the wake via the switches. I put in a dedicated locking switch on the panel so it controls the scupper valve. It reminds me that in order to get water into the boat, I have to lock this switch on etc.
All the pumps work at the same time without amp draw problems, 4/5amps per pump. I will take some pictures this weekend. And I didnt have to use relays. Let me know if you need any more info on the set up.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-15-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Sprinkler valves will work for a while but will eventually cause your pumps to fail. They are very restrictive. You will grow old waiting for fill and empty, and will get tired of trying to prime drain pumps when it's time to go home and you still have 2k of weight in the boat. Hear me now and believe me later, this has all been discussed ad nauseum on this site for the last three years, do a search.

If you want to do something worthwhile and different, design a cheap solenoid or linear actuator system to open/close the flowrite valves

OR find out where to get a 12vdc 1.5" pvc gate valve for a reasonable price.

Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-16-2004, 4:28 AM Reply   
I used this set up all summer, no problems, I use the larger 1inch diameter valve, which is always underpressure via my scupper valve, priming is no problem, emptying is via gravity on my ballast tanks, never had a problem there priming either etc. I might suggest a strainer somewhere along the line if your having restrictions, our lakes are pretty clean, but crap in the water can lock up the sprinkler valve....old hippo problems back in the day. Also, the valves are $15.00, easy to replace or fix?
Old    ssjrmk            01-16-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
mike D what model ofrain bird valve did you get. Here in canada they can only get the 24 volt rainbirds.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-16-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
The 24v valves will work with 12v

A link to a reasonably priced 12v gate valve.

1.5 inch, less than $100 and small enough to fit in the bilge area. Way better than the sprinkler valves since it has zero restrictions when open

http://www.1valves.com/112elgatval.html
Old    ssjrmk            01-16-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
I looked at the rainbird and yes it looks very constrictive. To bad because great price and small.