Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    mjones47            01-08-2004, 4:17 AM Reply   
I have found a 96 Malibu Response LX outfitted with a stainless tower. The boat is EFI and has less than 300 hours. What would be a respectable offer on this boat? When weighted right will this be a good entry level boarding boat? Should I pursue this boat or look for something else in the $20,000 range?
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
Hey there, I have a 96 Supra Sunsport for sale. Its the same hull style as the Launch, great boat. Has a black boss tower and loud liquid boardracks. Email me for more info... $19,500 in Hattiesburg, MS.
Later
Tiffany
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-12-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
does it have a wedge? if so all u need is a 500lb. sac under the bow/dash and it is a very respectable wake! as far as price, check nada guides to see what it's worth. Malibu's are great boats.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
a response with that much weight in the bow is going to swamp like crazy. The response is an amazing SKI boat. For wakeboarding, a wedge would be best along with some sacs. It has a pretty low profile to the water and will tend to swamp on rollers. I would HIGHLY suggest you contact the Tiffinator above and see about her boat. Great deal.
Old    mygreenmonster            01-13-2004, 7:18 PM Reply   
I spent the last two years wakeboarding behind a 2001 Response LX with a wedge and fat sacs, a 98 Moomba Mobius, and an 03 Malibu Wakesetter VLX.

It is too easy to swamp the Response if you want a decent wake for wakeboarding. It doesn't have a walk-through bow (a negative for me). You have to walk over the dash to get to the front tiny bench. It is an excellent slalom ski boat, but so is a Moomba Outback (which is a 98 Mobius) with a walk-through open bow.

The hull of the Supra launch is excellent. I would recommend that 96 Supra Sunsport that Tiffanator is posting if it is similar to the Launch. It should be an excellent entry level boat, depending on the condition of the boat.

I know someone with a Supra launch direct drive that produces a nice pull for slalom, but with the ballast full has a pro-level wake. The Response, or the Outback for that matter will never produce a pro-level wake.

Last of all, for a little more money I would recommend a Malibu Wakesetter VLX or a Supra Launch SSV. You might be surprised how inexpensive you can find a good used one. This is just my two cents worth.

Good luck.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-14-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
If you want to board mostly, get an older VLX. I have a 98 and the wake is awesome. I just saw a 97 at www.boattraderonline.com for $17,500. At that price you could put damn near any tower you want on it and still be under 20k. From 96 to 2000 the sunsetter VLX was the same hull as the 03 Wakesetter VLX.
Old    myminitoo            01-16-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
to answer the question, 20k seems about right, maybe a touch high
Old    tommyadrian5            01-17-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
there is a 2000 Supra Launch for sale for 20K on Boattrader.com, look down in this section i posted a thread "cheap supra launch" that has the link to it