Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-11-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
I saw this on the Wakeboarding Magazine site:

The Pro Tour announced its new "elite" format for 2004 last week. We now have more details on the "elite" format. We firmly believe the change is in the best interest of the tour, athletes, fans and sponsors. We sat down with Chris Bischoff, Competition Director of the Tour to discuss the details on the new program.

1. What if I do not ride in the Orlando stop? Can I still ride in the other events?

Most people don't realize that on average we had approximately 40 pro men at each stop of the Pro Tour last year. Orlando is the exception and that is why the event is not capped. Only 20 to 25 of these riders travel to each stop of the tour. That means that there are still at least 15 to 20 spots usually open for local riders or riders that only want to compete in a few events. As a local rider it is important that you send your entry fee in fee in early to make sure that you get one of these spots.

2. If I ride in Orlando and finish in the top 40 does that mean I am qualified for the rest of the tour stops?

No, you have to maintain a top 40 ranking on the pro tour standings list. The Pro Tour standings list will be updated by the Monday after each contest.

3. If for some reason I can't attend the first stop in Orlando because of an injury or something like that, do I have any other way of qualifying for the next stop or future stops?

Yes, if you are in the top 20 of the current Pro Ranking List then you are qualified to ride at the next stop. Most people don't even know that there is a Pro Ranking list. This list has been kept for years and includes the last 13 pro contests. Riders are ranked based on their performances at the past 13 pro contests. This means that if you are in the top 20 of this list that you have obviously "earned" a spot on the pro tour, but remember you must maintain that top 20 ranking to keep a spot at any future stops.

4. Do I have to pay my entry fee by a certain deadline to secure my spot in the contest even though I am in the top 40 of the pro tour standings list or I am in the top 20 of the Pro Ranking list?

Yes. You must pay your entry fee 2 weeks before the contest you want to compete in. If you are not signed up by then your spot goes to the first person on the waiting list and you go to the bottom of the waiting list.

5. How do I get on the waiting list to enter a contest?

Send your entry fee in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It is a first come first serve policy on the waiting list. The first person to get their entry fee in is the first person to get a shot if a person on either ranking list doesn't sign up for an event by the entry deadline.

6. Do I get a refund if I send in entry fees early hoping to ride in a certain contest?

The Pro Tour will refund any entry fees that are not used by a rider. The best thing you can do if you want to ride in a particular contest is send your entry fee in now to make sure you have a chance to ride in the tour stop you are interested in.

7. What about the Vans Triple Crown?

Vans events are not capped.

8. Why did the Pro Tour start to cap events this year?

We have had several complaints by fans, media, sponsors, athletes, and judges about how long the days are at Pro Tour stops. Especially on Saturday. We have had a hard time sticking to the schedule because there are so many last minute entries and this system will help us regulate our events better so that we can give everyone a quality show on the water. Now we know before each event (except Orlando) how many riders we are going to have and we can plan accordingly.

9. Isn't this just about money and the Pro Tour just wants more?

Actually by limiting the number of entries we are actually losing money, but we feel that it is worth it. This tour is a "Pro Tour" and we are here to put on the best show possible for everyone. That means we need the best riders on the water at all times. It does not mean we need the most riders on the water. This decision was made to insure quality not quantity

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-12-2004, 1:50 AM Reply   

quote:

3. If for some reason I can't attend the first stop in Orlando because of an injury or something like that, do I have any other way of qualifying for the next stop or future stops?

Yes, if you are in the top 20 of the current Pro Ranking List then you are qualified to ride at the next stop. Most people don't even know that there is a Pro Ranking list.

so actually, the answer is no. if you're in the group of top twenty ranking pros, missing the first stop probably won't bump you out of the top forty, so this is a meaningless answer. the top twenty can miss, but it doesn't matter - and no one else can because they're not in the top 20.

did i read this wrong?

also, what does this mean:

quote:

1. What if I do not ride in the Orlando stop? Can I still ride in the other events?

Most people don't realize that on average we had approximately 40 pro men at each stop of the Pro Tour last year. Orlando is the exception and that is why the event is not capped. Only 20 to 25 of these riders travel to each stop of the tour. That means that there are still at least 15 to 20 spots usually open for local riders or riders that only want to compete in a few events. As a local rider it is important that you send your entry fee in fee in early to make sure that you get one of these spots.

so you can get a spot if it's open - even if you didn't/don't qualify - so long as at least one of the 40 top qualifiers doesn't show?