Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    imperfect_freak            08-03-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Alright so I can't even land a wake to wake jump. For the last two days I have been so close to clearing it. I land right on top of the other wake. I have been working on my progressive edge, I am pretty sure that its working right. Is there any way to tell.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-03-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
What line length are you riding at?
Sometimes if you come in 5 feet from where you are riding at now will help you clear the wake,
especially if your that close to making it all the
way across, and then as you progress are landing in the flats, let your self back out 5 feet. Nothing wrong with starting in closer to help you get that feeling of clearing the wake.
Of course make sure your standing tall at the top
of the wake too.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
and don't let the handle out as you are coming off the wake....you lose your momentum if you do that.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-04-2005, 4:56 AM Reply   
Austin, start as wide as you can and start slowly towards the wake building speed progressively and don't back off at the wake, pretend your going to cut thru it and don't try to pop off the wake, it's called loading the rope, this will be the most consistant way to learn to jump the wakes by learning it right the first time. Even if you don't make it across the first several times, you learn to control your speed, once you do that, you can edge a little harder about 1/2 or 3/4's of the way towards the wake, don't back off and don't change your body position, just pretend the wake isn't there!!!
Old    luv2wake2            08-04-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
One way to tell if someone is edging properly, is the rooster tail should be as tall as the rider. Watch the pros and you'll see a long , soild trail of water behind them. One way to practice edging is to go out into the flats and edge away from the wake and just coast, that way you don't have to worry about hitting the wake till you get your technique down. You should be able to make the boat tilt some if your edging properly. A driver can tell too, when someone is cranking it up back there.
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
Another thing is to remember to stand up tall at the top of the wake this will help create more pop which can help get you to the other wake. This with all the other tips should get you there, good luck!
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
I agree with Craig, practice just cutting through the wake. When I instruct, for the first few times, I tell them not to try and jump, but just cut through the wake or if its any easier, to imagine the wake isnt there. Once they have their progressive edge down, then they can work on poping their knees and standing tall at the top of the wake.

Get into your progressive edge position before you start any kind of turn toward the wake. If you turn first, start your edge and then get into position, you will start hard on your edge and then flatten at the wake, resulting in bad edging and bad pop.
Old    jws            08-06-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
I think all the above is great advice for your tech. but your board is also something to consider. For example is the board the correct size, and what size and type is the rocker. Not that the board will make you a better rider but it can be a issue if the board isn't sized correct.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
No No No. If you're not clearing the second wake, it's because you're not edging all the way up and through the first wake. If you're coming off edge you'll case the wake every time. Hold it until you're up and through the wake. Keep your handle at your lead hip. Spot your landing and look for the shoreline.

Good Luck!
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-06-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
Keeping the handle at my lead hip is proving to be a problem for me. Are there any tips or drills to work on that will help me keep the handle in. While riding I think that the handle is in but when I see photos (like my profile pic) it's obvious that my arms are coming out.

Thanks,

Rich

Sorry for the hijack