Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    jetpilotrider03            10-22-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
i just want to say that i dont like how the so-cal riders are developing the wakeboarding industry here in the west. from the last video "outkast", they acted like pimps and how badass they are. hell, this isn't what wakeboarding is about. the florida riders are way better too, and they represent the sport so much better. im sick of this sh*tless pimp movement that all these full-of-themselves riders are developing. i ride to ride, not to try to be a "badass". if you think outkast was good, i'ts pretty good, but nothing compared to the rirders in florida, watch metronome, that should shut up all these "pimp-riders" who think they own the sport, -keep it real
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-22-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
we just had this discussion last week, Nick.
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-22-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
under what?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-22-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
I forget the thread name. I'll let you know if I find it.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
that thread got deleted
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
Yawn. Maybe Pat Robertson wakeboards?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-22-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
good. That thread sucked.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
J-Rod... you can use those "welcome to last week" pics that we made for you
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-22-2003, 3:30 PM Reply   
Shut up aaron
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
need someone to hold your hand?
I'll go first!

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-22-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
Okay okay....

Old    jetpilotrider03            10-22-2003, 11:19 PM Reply   
what the f*ck...not taking me serious...so this f*ckin pimp sh*t you guys think is cool? damn, some guys dont know anything about the sport, no wonder i never ride below shasta, the rest of hte state sucks
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-23-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
Dude, settle down a little.
It's all good. These guys in the thread are just having a little fun. No one wants to talk about it obviously.
It's not just a So-Cal thing either. Lutgert has kind of used that image with his company and he comes from Naples(Fl) and to say that he doesn't know anything about the sport is ignorant. He helped make the sport what it is today.
It's not my style, but who am I to tell them it ain't right?!.
There's a saying in marketing: "no publicity is bad publicity". You're helping to market their video.
Old    larkin            10-23-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
Freedom of expression is a wonderful thing. Pro riders have their freedom to be what they want to be, if the 'pimp' style is what they want to project (Personally, I don't get it either) then so be it.

Nick, if you say you ride to ride, like most of us amateurs out there, then why would it bother you? Remember, most of the riders today are just kids, I doubt when they get past 25 their focus will be aspirations of being a pimp.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
Yo Nick. Not that we're not taking you seriously. Like I said, this was discussed. I think everyone is avoiding another argument.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
Don't be a Playa hata dawg. I think I said that right?

Honestly who cares? Do I hang out with these guys? No. Would I want to hang out with most of them? Probably not. Do I like to watch them ride? Yep.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            10-23-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
WoW, this video must be great to have started such debates. I think I'm gonna go down and wait for the boardshop to open so I can buy it as soon as possible.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
I dunno, after his last post it sounds like Nick would fit in just fine with the big block boys
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Yo Jeff, what's up with that water you ride in? It looks like a big mud puddle!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
That was in April. The rain run off brought a lot of silt & mud to our little piece of water. It's back to normal now. Looked kinda like choclate milk for few months.
Old    jakeman            10-23-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
this is gonna be a good thread if it doesn't get deleted
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
Due to this thread, I'm gonna go and watch that movie Tonight!
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-23-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
look guys, im not tryin to be a jack*ss...i love the the sport, and gator's done some good things for the sport...all im sayin is that i think the sport is leaning a little bit too much in the wrong direction. my point is made. im done
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
Better the PIMPIN image with a Pimpslap than the Gansta image with a Mac10.

It's all just people living out their little fantasies when they get their moment in the spotlight. It's a general trend, and not at all limited to wakeboarding. I saw the same type of thing in the early nineties with snowboarding, and I participated in the drunken grunge punk-ass b-boy lifestyle that was associated with it. All the top pros were in on it too. Go find the video called "Whisky", you will understand.

Marketing wakeboarding is marketing a lifestyle. Making videos is always about antics coupled with the tricks. People are interested in what the riders do aside from wakeboarding. I admit that I would rather see filler with Byerly hangin with his kids and being a cool Dad than some misguided youth actin like they are runnin the end, it's still about the wakeboarding. Try not to get too upset, just go out and have fun.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            10-23-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
It should be able to go in all sorts of directions. If thats what those guys wanna do thats cool, if some other folks wanna do some other stuff thats cool too, if i want to ride in an orange vest a tutu and a cowboy hat its all good. I mean each person or group of people should get to choose what direction they want to go. Its not like them makin that video means that everybody else who boards must be like them.