Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    ponchevez            12-24-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Lets start putting wake videos in Kazaa, we dont have to be spending cash for every video. Just load them up and share it with the rest of us! lol...

I'll load up "snap" and other ones that I have...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-24-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
No thanks. I'll pay for mine and support the people who worked hard to make them.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-24-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree with Blablemooch more.
Old    ponchevez            12-24-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
I bet you guy download music, well ... that is the exact same thing.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-24-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
I agree somewhat, but I also go to shows to support the bands I like. The only way for the vid makers to make money is if their videos are bought.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-24-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
yeah, that's a lame idea
Old    abk22            12-24-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
I agree with Blabel to some degree, but it is insane to charge $30 for a dvd that is only 30 min. long. If they brought down the price, I would be more inclined to buy, besides it only costs a couple of bucks to make the dvd, to the 30 bones goes to a lot of profit, I know that there are tons of people to pay, behind the scnenes but it hollywood can survive on 15 bones a dvd, then so can they, For the record I dont download movies or music for that matter.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-24-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
Couple of bucks? What about the filming, tape, gas for the trips, etc. That doesn't cost anything? When you buy a movie DVD the audience is much larger so the price can be lower. We're talking about a relatively small sport here! Skate, surf, and I think snow DVD's are about the same cost.
Old    pans210            12-24-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
That's what sponsors are for.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-24-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
You also have to take into consideration that they are not going to sell millions of copies like Lord of the Rings will. Wakeboarders are still a small group so the opportunities for buyers are limited.

I agree with Blabel - I'll pay for mine.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-24-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
I think it's an excellent idea. I've always said that the best way to encourage a company to come out with quality products in the future is to steal their products in the present.

Come on people, way to hurt a struggling segment of a struggling industry and ensure that videos continue to get shorter and crapier. I'm embarrassed by threads like this.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-24-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
well put
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-24-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
YOu have to be a total douche to want to rip of wake movie makers. Its hard enough for them to break even much less make a profit. You should be punched for even joking about that.
Old    goose69            12-24-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Andy,
As being apart of video production. Look for Wet Wednesdays Vol. Coming soon ;)

There is more to the cost of making a DVD, then just having the film printed to the DVD and printing a piece of paper for the cover art work. There is more behind the scene cost then you would think. As far as the Hollywood reference, we don't have outlets such as huge movie theaters to draw millions of people to see the movie around the world. Or basically drive such business like Blockbuster or other video rental places.

Jared Schassen
NumbSkull Productions
http://www.numbskullpro.com
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-24-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think it is a good idea to put them on kazaa. I have several videos on my computer and several that I own. I think that I have shown enough support for the sport by purchasing $100 plus for fat sacks that cost maybe $10 to make, $70 plus for rope, $70 plus for handle, not to mention complete setups that cost anywhere for $500 to $900. So really they aren't losing near as much money as the overcharged consumer. Is anyone else with me?

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-24-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
The companies making videos aren't the ones selling $100 ropes. Besides there are plenty of cheaper wakeboarder videos out there, older ones of course, and some even have 2 vids on one DVD.

Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-24-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
with their product and company names all over the cover and video you would never know that it isn't them, hmmm... come to think of it, "liquidforce, relentless" "hyperlite, all or nothing" seems as though they are taking most of the responsibility for the video, the film company is being paid by them. so i imagine if they are paying for it and advertising for it it must be theirs.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-24-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
Justin is right on, alot of the stuff is too expensive.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-24-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Ahh, the ol' according-to-my-calculations-they-are-making-too-much-profit-so stealing-is-legal-and-good argument. Well, there's not much I can say to refute that. I stand corrected.

I'm going to go rob my bank now because according to my calculations, that $6 fee for a checking account is outlandish!

My embarassment continues...
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-24-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
LMaO....Dave
Old    ponchevez            12-24-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
ok...ok...ok.... lets stop the disscution and start loading up videos! c'mon, we all now that they is lots of profit selling a video for 30 bucks, sellers have to make some profit otherwise there wouldn't be any videos.

Comparing this to the music business, I don't think there is a single person in this treat that has never downloaded a song. You're even affecting much more people (way more) than the wakeboard videos company. Ask tower records!

If you just dont want to download the videos, just dont, there are some of us who will download them.

Who wants snap, shaft, shafted, detention? lets trade!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-24-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
"we all now that they is lots of profit selling a video for 30 bucks"

That does it, I'm going back to flippin burgers!
Old    yearling            12-24-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
Im sure sidewayz would have somethin to say about this. Doesnt he post on these forums?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-24-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
So which videos are $30? Most of the videos for sale on buywake.com are $24.99 or less. As an example, Sfumato is $17.99.

Out of that, the store selling it probably makes about $8 profit (gross profit, not net). So now you have the wholesale price of the videos down about $15.00. That doesn't leave a lot of room for profit for the people making the video, does it? I bet they make less than $5 on each video they sell, and they probably need to sell several thousand to break even, including sponsor contributions.

Think about how much time and effort goes into making a video - the cost of getting boats to the location, running them for several days if not weeks, shooting the video, then the time spent editing the video. Then add the cost of duplicating the DVDs and printing the covers. It just doesn't leave a lot left.

Old    du540            12-24-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
I have to freaking laugh at this. If I don't laugh I wanna scream "F-YOU!!!!" at my screen. Are you kidding me. Do you really think we are getting rich? I've got news for you ponch. You have no idea what kind of costs are involved here. You've got no idea what kind of work is involved.

Let's see, my partner and I just started our production company last summer.

We've purchased a boat. We've got to have a rig to tow that boat. We get to pay for gas and insurance on these lil toys. We've spent over 5 grand on video equipment and we need to spend about another 5 grand before next summer. We've got two video editing workstations. We've spent about 2 grand on software. We had to pay a graphic artist to create our logo. We get to spend a TON more cash on licensing the music for our three films for this year, 33 SONGS!!! We've got to buy DVDs and DVD cases. We've got to spend a nice chunk of cash for clothing, business cards and other marketing CRAP. When we took some riders to central Oregon to film, WE paid for everything, food, drinks, gas, lodging, "entertainment". We didn't even pay for a helicopter this year, there's another HUGE expense for next year, if we can afford it.

I know there's more that I'm forgetting. This is all cash out the door, BEFORE we even burn ONE FREAKING DISC!

Our vids are going to sell for 20 bucks and we simply hope to make enough to pay for next year's project. If you think you're not getting your money's worth then don't buy our stuff. Hopefully with our copy protection, you won't be seeing any of our stuff on Kazaa for free. If we see it, rest assured, we're coming after your ass.

Ron Mart
President
NumbSkull Productions
www.numbskullpro.com
Old    stevenf            12-24-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
yo numbskull you really are a numbskull. just because you are trying to make a business out of a sport you threaten to go after someone who boosts your video onto kaaza. You know what you bought a boat just like the thousands of other visitors to this site and a rig to tow it. Are you mad because it costs alot of money to have nice things? isnt this sport a hobby to some }people? im not pissed i bought a x star or a brand new truck. im more than 60 grand or so into this sport, and by the way did i mention im 23 your just mad because your trying to turn your hobby/whatever you call it into your job. thats great that your putting a video out to show the talents of other riders off. props to you for that. Starting a business is a risk that is not gauranteed to pay off thats why some businesses fail. IF your so mad that you bought nice equipment then go return it. Dont count on videos or other stuff to pay for that. Ever heard the saying "dont quit your day job" I vist this site to have fun and learn new things from other people about wakeboarding and the sport. your just mad. Do you ever do anything for fun or is it all just a business to YOu?
Old    du540            12-24-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
Steve,

You've obviously missed the point. I'm not mad because I've spent money. I'm mad because some jackasses think that people like us who produce videos are making huge bank off the people who PAY for our vids so they think it's no big deal to pirate our stuff for free. Christ man, read the rest of the posts, anyone with half a brain knows exactly what we're talking about here. If my business fails it will be because I didn't produce something that people were interested in buying, not because some nimrod stole my stuff, GET IT??? If not, then I'm wasting time responding to you.
Old    goose69            12-24-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
REM,

leave it alone.. better time spent else where.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-24-2003, 11:32 PM Reply   
although i completely understand rem's position - i do need to ask for clarification on this point:

quote:

If my business fails it will be because I didn't produce something that people were interested in buying, not because some nimrod stole my stuff, GET IT???

doesn't that suggest that uploading a video to kazaa wouldn't hurt your business? and isn't the whole argument against file-sharing that it hurts businesses?

sorry, not trying to start a fight, just a little confused by the statement...
Old    du540            12-24-2003, 11:45 PM Reply   
Chris,

I'm saying I'll do whatever it takes to prevent anyone from stealing my stuff, IOW, uploading to Kazaa.

Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-25-2003, 5:56 AM Reply   
Some of you people make me absolutely sick. How dare you rip off someones hard work like that.

"Oh but I bought a rope, that gives me the right to do it..."

Such ignorance. I'm as embarrased as Dave is that some people care so little about this sport and the people who support it.

If you want to enjoy a wakeboard video, put down your hard earned cash for the DVD. It's the least you can do. The film-makers have poured their blood, sweat and tears into the creation of the film, not to mention a whole crapload of money. There are not megabucks floating around this industry. The filmmakers are doing it for the love.

It's incredible that some people on this thread feel it's their right take these movies... Just because... Well, just because.

Honestly, I'm a little angry about some of the attitudes... And I normally don't get angry about things on the net. I know the majority of peeps here understand, but it only takes a few to ruin it. I know if I found a video I produced on Kazaa I'd be absolutely fuming.

I'm ashamed by the ignorance.
Old    tfdhyprider            12-25-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
LAME idea
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-25-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE........MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-25-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
andrew- so on your $15 allowance you have to money to just go out and bye the videos? if you don't pay for them any ways you don't have any say in the post
Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-25-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
This is for Steve Hattaway - "You're" (that’s the proper way of writing that word for the context that you wrote it by the way) telling me that YOU bought a new truck and X-Star....at 23.... as a UPS driver/student? I don’t think so unless mom & dad gave you the money in the first place. If I’m wrong, please tell me. Please tell me that you are a 23 year old, UPS driving student that successfully invested in an IPO or something. Otherwise, don’t brag about something you didn’t personally earn.

People work to make money so they can live and do the things they want to do. People who work harder than others also typically make more money than those that are lazy or have no-stress jobs. People who risk everything to start a business typically, in the long run, make more money than those that work for somebody else. And thank god for that! Otherwise people wouldn’t want to start businesses and that means NO JOBS for everybody else. That’s called business in a capitalistic economy. Just because somebody is successful does not mean that you have the right to steal from them.

If you think stealing is OK, then nobody has stolen something important from you yet. When that happens, I'm curious what your opinion will be then. Make sure you write a post about it.

Lastly, for Justin, who do you think you are telling Andrew Dyerhood that he doesn’t have any say in the post? You are bagging on him about his allowance yet you are a proponent of stealing. I don’t get it. By the way, its “BUY” the video – not “bye”.

I'm with Dave on this one. This thread is embarrassing. Dave, please make this one go away.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-25-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
I honestly think that ya all (oh wait a minute Jim..."you all") are getting carried away. There is no way on earth I could every get that agitated on Christmas if I tried. Remember people come to this site to have fun and learn new stuff about a whole variety of things. I understand the "expressing your opinion about the situation" thing but it seems that the more recent post are going a bit above that. Don't let someone’s rather peculiar post get the best of ya...Lol.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-25-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
You echo my sentiments exactly Jim with your last post.
I wouldn't brag about owning a boat & truck unless you've earned the money yourself and the you've got the Pinkslips to prove it. Besides I doubt that any 23 year old that had accomplished that would come out on the side of those promoting theft or criticize Ron for being upset at those that would steal his livelihood.

Furthermore it's pissing me off that any of us should have to justify what profits we are or aren't making to anyone on these boards. These rationalizations about profits some of you are spouting are total BS. If any of you understood the way things work you'd all realize that with out profit there soon won't be any professional level videos being made for you to enjoy! So when you copy a disc or post it on some underground site you're not only stealing from the producer, but also from the riders and everyone who legitimately purchased it.
Old     (cpt_tripps)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-25-2003, 5:35 PM Reply   
If I spend 30 bucks on many more crap videos like Blacklist. I will download them.

I understand the expense but give us some quality videos and I have no problem paying. Put many more videos like Blacklist together and I will find my way to Kazza.

I sound a little bitter, but I feel really ripped off after buying that video. Mind you I don't buy many, but when I do, I like to think I am getting something worth watching. I should have bought Free Willy!!!!
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-25-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
How about this....you guys who are all for stealing videos should post your address and everyone else on this forum will come over and steal your stuff. That way, no one person has taken much from you rather lots of people have taken a just a little piece. You shouldn't have any problem with that right?? It's the same thing as what you are suggesting to do to the relatively small video makers...everyone should take a small piece?? Let us know what you think....
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-25-2003, 9:28 PM Reply   
in watching the various replies here i've weighed whether it makes any sense to get involved in a conversation that doesn't seem to have any rational arguments being made by either side. so i'll leave my contribution at this:

there is a reason file-sharing exists and is as popular as it is. it probably behooves us to discover that and incorporate it - not rail against it while steadfastly holding on to antiquated views of commerce and distribution, or claim it as some holy right of proletariat revolution.

(Message edited by deepstructure on December 25, 2003)
Old    ponchevez            12-26-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   

Honestly ... who hasn't downloaded music from the internet for free?

-numbskull, have you? cause It's the same thing, but that doesn't hurt you; right?
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-26-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
Im with Chris about whether or not to get invovled but heres my 2 cents...

Not only are the wakeboarding videos kinda hard to find locally but they are a 'minimum' of 20 bucks. A bit more than I will spend for a vid of an hour or less of material. Which will explain why I have only 1 store bought video.

The majority of these videos are the pros out riding around doing the thing they love most. Majority of that time they do the stuff we see in compititions an a little bit of them screwing around with unimaginable sliders...something most of us non-pros never even get to see much less try (and I wouldnt never hit any slider with any of my $3/400 boards).

I have seen only 3 videos (watson proj, nat born thrillaz, n higher education) but only bought one. The other 2 someone let me borrow and I taped them...is that the same as downloading them from Kaza? Techinically, yeah.

Since the popularity of pooters this 'support' your product, art or artist has been an at an all time high...however I have something like 30 vhs tape that have 3 movies each on them that I taped from HBO/Showtime/Starz/etc (the old file sharing sources), as well as a ton of cassettes (I cant bring myself to get rid of) of music I taped from the radio (esp on full album night) and lets not forget the newest addition to these...tivo w/dvd recorder n network connections. Who anywhere hasnt done either of these things.

I do pay for my movies I like...after previewing them first at a movie theater and I buy the music I like after previewing...it from the radio or tv and so forth (btw who hasent spent 15-20 on a cd of a group/artist only to find out that only 1 or 2 songs didnt suck? Was it worth the support n 15-20 then?)...however there is no where to preview our sport except at a boarding shop...IF they have the one youre interested in AND playing at the time...so I do not buy ANY wakeboarding vids (I guess that means I dont support my sport, since some of us here dont believe spend $1000 per setup is supporting your sport) unless I can catch em at a $10 or less bin, which is never since they are to hard to find.

BTW I do not support stealing of products...
BUT if there are anyone of you/us who have been on kazaa you/we werent there to SUPPORT anyone. Kazaa is for one thing and one thing only!

If you dont want to steal or "borrow" as I like to put it, then dont. If you do, you know what can happen when/if caught.

Simple as that, right?

Happy New Year!!!! (btw I didnt get one single thing for wakeboarding this Christmas...whats up w/that? Does santa have a email addy?)
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-26-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Ok, this is going to be my 2 cents as I am at work on the Day after X-mas and there is not a dam thing to do.

First - I think Kazaa is a great software program. They reason I think so is I have found music on there that I would have never found otherwise. Once I found this music and like it; I went out and bought the cd.

So in short you are going to reach a far bigger audience with Kazaa than you will ever in some store.

Second - Most people on have a 28.8kbs or 56kbs modem which means even if they get the whole movie it will take them 4 to 5 days to download a 500mb file. Most likely what will have is they will get the first 100mb and find out that they either like it or not. This might turn into a sale that you might not have had in the first place.

Third – The Quality Sucks! Who wants to sit there and watch a movie on a 15/17 monitor? I know you can hook up you pc to the TV but most people don’t have that setup. You also can put it on cd/dvd but that goes back to my first comment The Quality Suck!

If people want to get music/videos for free they are going to do so without Kazaa or the internet for that matter anyway.

I think you have to look at Kazaa as free adverting and not stealing.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-26-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
I download wake vids (as I do with music) from the internet just because I can not afford a 30 bucks vid (plus shipping), but if I could I would buy them right away.
Products that are worth spending the monet you buy them, those that arent, you dont. so, you have to make quality products.
Wake-vid industry is just to small to buy a boat and stuff only for shooting wakeboard movies, so i wouldnt be doing that... why dont you just rent a boat???
Old    pans210            12-26-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Mike Zimmer,

1. Kazaa is okay. KazaaLite is better. IRC is best.

2. You'd be amazed at the number of people w/ high speed connection over standard 28.8/56kbs modems.

3. The quality can be good if uploaded that way. Also, who says you have to watch on your monitor? If the quality is good, you can burn onto a disc using CD-RWin (somethin' like that) and watch it on your DVD player, if your player supports SVCD format. Some of the quality I've seen on burned copies were DVD quality (SVCD).
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-26-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Hey everyone...I lowered my cholesterol!!!
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-26-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
Good news...I got a good deal on my car insurance!
Old    grizzle            12-26-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
Can you hear me now ?.... Good !
Old    shanny            12-26-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
put em on Kazaa
Old    harrison            12-26-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
put em on kazaa and you guys wont have vids to download soon.....you people seriously dont get it....
Old    shanny            12-26-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
wtf r u talking about davis?
Old    harrison            12-26-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
-The film makers sell to the distributors
-the distributors sell to the shops
-the shops sell to the consumer
-the consumer has already seen the video online for free...why would they buy it

that means the film maker doesn't make enough money to
pay for the film and move forward to the next film...no more videos...sponsors pay for a little chunk of the film, but they dont pay the film makers mortgages etc...

Thats wtf I am talking about...

(Message edited by harrison on December 26, 2003)
Old    goose69            12-26-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
I just find this post funny. Make sure you look for up and coming Video's from NumbSkull Productions, and see what the Great NorthWest really has to offer.
We will have 3 video's coming out in '04

Jared Schassen
NumbSkull Productions
http://www.numbskullpro.com
Old    ontrider            12-26-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
I was thinking of making a video but posts like this make me unsure as to whether it's worth all the effort to make a video and then risk losing money while people just get it for free. This isn't Walt Disney where we make something and everyone just buys it for their kid and sell a million copies. I'd be interested to know actually from producers/editors of current independant films, just how many copies of their videos they've sold.

If you want free videos, why don't you go download them from wakepics.com or wakeboarder.com. You can get videos of PRO riders for free, and amazing amatuer riders.

(Message edited by ontrider on December 26, 2003)
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-26-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
Yeah, I was going to see a movie and buy one this weekend but there dont seem to be anything to buy or see since they arnt making any more movies due to Kazaa.

Now Im bored. :-(
Old    whitechocolate            12-26-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
And the lord said

"Let he who has not downloaded somthing for free cast the first stone"

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-27-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Mike: Maybe that's why Blacklist isn't meeting your expectations, Justin & Ronn can't afford to invest any more resources in it given it's return potential.

Chris: How do you rationalize theft? Communism doesn't work, ck out Russia!

Ponch: No, I haven't downloaded any free music and all the music we used in Delta Sessions was licensed to us by the artists.

Cliff: The HBO/Showtime argument doesn't wash, you're paying your cable/sat co for that right.

Mike: I agree with you about the quality, who wants to spend hours downloading to watch a postage stamp size vid?

Luciano: I'm sure you can't afford a boat then either, I better make sure I don't leave mine out with the keys in it, I'm sure you'd feel taking it out would be just fine!

Someone has to pay for the content, it's that simple. Those shows that come over on your antenna are paid for by the Ads they force you to watch. Cable/Satelite - you pay monthly for. Movies - you go to the theatre and then buy the DVD. Indie films/sports videos - squat, it's extremely hard to get them broadcast and get paid for that, the sponsors don't pay much because the actual qty purchased doesn't warrant much ad money and, as Harrison says, by the time the distributor and shop get their's there's not a lot left. Someone posted earlier "don't quit your day job" I say amen to that!

Old    upupnaway            12-27-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
Kazaa Rocks! I can download a couple of tunes from an artist and see If the c.d. is worth buying.
As far as wakeboarding vids are concerned, My local shop has a copy of every new release that I can preview. I would like to say I preview the vid in the store to see if I like it, and make my decision to purchase based on that. What really happens is that regardless of content, I buy them anyway because it is about WAKEBOARDING!!!!
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-27-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Rich;
Absolutly the HBO/Cable/TV/etc programs wash...as a matter a fact they (you know who they are) consider uploading TV shows and movies from TV or TIVO for others to download the exact same thing as the music stealing whether you pay for cable/sat service or not, AND they are all sponsered...this was in the news a couple months back.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-28-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
Cliff: You're right that they don't allow you to download to distribute on media or via the net, but they don't consider making a copy for your own personal library a problem if you're a paid subscriber.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
In my eyes, there are two types of wakeboard videos, the advertisement type, the ones sponsored by the board companies to show off their riders and boards, and then the grass roots type vids. It is obvious that the ad-type videos are there to sell product, while I would imagine that the grass roots type are there to have fun making a video. The grass roots folks would probably be happy with breaking even so they can justify making another video, as it is what they like to do. The advertisement folks probably don't care so much, they just want their videos out so you are influenced to purchase their $400 boards. They can write it off as an expense.

I think what it really boils down to, is how many of you use kazaa or similar program to download porn, that some hard working company made?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-29-2003, 8:49 PM Reply   
i found this article interesting...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-29-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link, that is a really good (but LONG) article. I think this sums it up rather nicely:

But it is not the downloads that are wrecking the music business, it is the inability of the conglomerates to adjust to the Internet and the new ways consumers want to consume music.

and this paragraph about the RIAA:

Also, the record companies recently settled a price-fixing suit in which they admitted they were overcharging consumers. This point seems to be overlooked by the RIAA in its attempt to place all blame for the woes of the music business at the feet of file-sharing. Is it possible that the decrease in CD sales is related to the conspiracy by the major record labels to fix inflated prices?
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2003, 11:59 PM Reply   
Let me put it this way. if i see a video off of kazaa that looks like it is worth $30 like "natural born thrillaz", "all or nothing", or "free for all" i will put in my contribution. as for all the other $#!T videos, i will watch them on my 17 inch monitor a few times and never really think about it again. just like music cd's i know everyone has downloaded some songs and if those songs are all pretty good most people end up getting the cd.

next thing you know you "anti theft" people will be trying to band cd burners and record buttons on vcr's.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-30-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
THE HORSE IS DEAD!!!
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-30-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
The idea that putting wakeboard videos on the the internet for free taking is lame. The Wakeboarding Industry needs the money so all you guys that want to put them on Kazaa , ask yourself If you even care about the sport BESIDES how impacts you.

I have to Agree this is an embarrassing thread
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-30-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
I dont want to steal off kazaa or anywhere else, but does anyone have any wakeboarding videos I can borrow?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-30-2003, 8:10 AM Reply   
Toolfan: . . . . . . . THANK YOU ! ! !
Old    tfdhyprider            12-30-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
nah i just care about the wakeboarding industry. Ill "BUY" (thats for you justin) their vids cause i wanna support them 100%.
Old    idiot            12-30-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have just read through this entire post, and a half hour later I thought Id ad my two cents...

I have been dinking around "producing" wake videos for the past three years all locally with my crew. Things have come and things have gone... but eventually I would love to be a part of the vid industry as a professional. Right Now I see File sharing as a major plus. It is the best kind of advertising, It doesnt cost a dime! I have tired to get as many downloads of my video as possible to promote my video and what I am doing. And in the long run I beleive that file can be a benifit if it is used correctly and carefully. The people who are going to ripp off movies and copy them are going to do it no matter what, there are other ways of getting copies of movies, offline, and your not going to stop them, but there are also the people who will watch the movie see the crappy quality file, but potential for a sweet movie that they will watch again and again, and go out and buy the movie, and those people who saw the movie might not have went to the shop and paid for it otherwise. again the potential advertising is amazing. I think that file sharing is not something to be so afriad because its benefits can flow each way. To all the file sharers, out there just keep in mind that productions companies do "eat" a lot of expenses and expect that they will at least break even to support something that they love to do. So if there is a respectable video out there being downloaded. GO buy it.

look for my videos they are on the net and on all the boards

Idiot
Quadnine Productions

peace and ride hard

Old    lunaraven            12-30-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
Jim Bottrell - I'm sure you would not object to Sneaky being put on Kazzaa??? LOL

I hope people will put up their amateur vids on Kazzaa (wakeboarding not XXX) which is a good honest use of file sharing. Ive seen some cool amateur boarding....I mad my fist movie a couple months ago....

Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-30-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Yea, the producers of Sneaky need to lose money. They named that one appropriately.
Old    xxwakeskaterxx            12-30-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
go to www.buywake.com and buy your videos...they are only $15..so i dont know where you all are buying your vids if they cost $30
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-30-2003, 5:06 PM Reply   
this selection gives you an idea of their pricing dylan. im not seeing $15 for a vid...

quote:

Blacklist DVD
MSRP $ 27.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Caguamas-The Long Road DVD
MSRP $ 27.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Scrubs of the South DVD
MSRP $ 27.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Dedicated DVD
MSRP $ 25.00
BUYWAKE $ 22.99

Delta Sessions DVD
MSRP $ 24.00
BUYWAKE $ 21.99

Current Video Magazine #2
MSRP $ 25.00
BUYWAKE $ 19.99

Death Cookies DVD
MSRP $ 23.00
BUYWAKE $ 19.99

Antics DVD
BUYWAKE $ 19.99

12 Honkeys VHS
MSRP $ 30.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

All Or Nothing
MSRP $ 30.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Shaft/Shafted DVD
MSRP $ 30.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Invisible Cinema DVD
MSRP $ 27.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

My Side
MSRP $ 27.00
BUYWAKE $ 24.99

Natural Born Thrillaz
MSRP $ 30.00
BUYWAKE $ 23.99

BOOMBOX
MSRP $ 28.00
BUYWAKE $ 23.99

Free 4 All
MSRP $ 28.00
BUYWAKE $ 23.99

Incomplete
MSRP $ 26.00
BUYWAKE $ 23.99

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-30-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
You could rent it... (if they have it.)

http://www.coreflix.com

karate chop!

Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-30-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   

Beating a dead horse :-)
Old    tfdhyprider            12-30-2003, 8:37 PM Reply   
JOSH ROBINSON COULDN'T HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB BY TELLING EVERYONE THE TRUTH. NICELY DONE!
Old    ponchevez            12-31-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Andrew, If "Josh Robinson" has never downloaded music, record video from tv, etc from any source for free, I truly rest my argument.
Old    tfdhyprider            12-31-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yeah. Hey Josh have you ever done any of the above?
Old    tfdhyprider            12-31-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Im not mad i just like to support the people who made them and dont wanna rip thsoe guys off. you know