Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    tommyadrian5            03-29-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
www.leadheadz.com doesn't work anymore, or isn't the right address, anybody have any info or someone else i can get coated lead from, i can't find anybody local?
Old    tommyadrian5            03-29-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
anyone know?
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-29-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
go to your local tire shops, ask for their old tire weights. Melt em down pour in a breadpan for a mold, let em cool wrap in duck tape...viola free weight small space...~G

(Message edited by goth2o on March 29, 2004)
Old    mklucas            03-29-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
Shipping for those things cost just about as much as the lead itself, I doubt they did great business. Search your area for industrial metal supply houses. Mine was called exactly that, Industrial Metal Supply, but I don't think they're on the East Coast. The form of lead you want is Ingot (65lb bricks). Pick it up because shipping will kill you, then go down to the autoparts store and by some do it yourself truck bed liner, coat it and let dry (I did two coats). I'm sure any major city has some sort of industrial metal shop. 1000 lbs. cost me about $600, that would have cost me $1100 from ledhedz, to ship to CA.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2004, 5:48 AM Reply   
How do you suggest melting tire weights?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-30-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
The cost of lead has shot way up so they are waiting on the sidelines until prices come back down.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
putting a bread pan on a BBQ grill is how I've seen it done...but I'm not sure I'd want to breathe in any of that...and you probably don't want to cook anything on the grill later??
Old    upupnaway            03-30-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
I went with lead shot ($10 for 25 lbs), and melted it in a bread pan on the grill, then used "Rubberize-it" to coat the bricks. 3 bricks is about 115 lbs, and I use it to keep the wake symetrical by moving them side to side to counter the passenger weight.
A bag of lead, 1 38 pound brick, and a vhs tape for size reference.

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       03-31-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Word of advice- when melting it inside don't put the hot bread pan on the counter top unless you want to completly burn through your formica counter top and then spend $80 to get it! fixed

You also spend a few hours cleaning up the excess splatter that got on the burners, walls, stove top and anywhere else you can think of. You will also need to spend some time scrubbing the fan hood too.

You will also have to explain to roommates that you swear you weren't cooking up meth in kitchen as the smell will linger for a few days!

Don't ask!
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-31-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
Melting inside... Are you guys wearing resperators? My understanding is the lead oxide is very toxic and can cause brain damage and is mutagentic. Mkae sure you are safe. No point in saving $500 if your kids are going to have four arms.
Old    cam_warner            03-31-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
I've heard that a coleman camping stove works pretty well to put the bread pan on. How much does that rubberiz-it stuff cost?
Old    wakehawg            03-31-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Guys, besides not doing this at all, you REALLY shouldn't be doing this inside. You might as well stick your mouth on an exhaust pipe. Lead never leaves your body once it in, it builds up in your brain, and causes all sorts of bad stuff. A little exposure goes a long way.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-31-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
Whit, a kid with four arms could pull some wicked method grabs.
Old    upupnaway            03-31-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
The rubber-ize it costs about $5 a can for spray on.
Buy a little charcoal grill, (make sure it is sturdy) and melt it down outside.
Throw away the grill when done.

Although, If I were to melt it down inside, inhale all of the fumes, and then go riding on the water outlet of the nuke plant downstate, I may develop super-powers. or lymphoma.
Old    ag4ever            03-31-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
Don't melt it down inside under any circumstances. Get a turkey frier burner, a large cast iron pan, and melt it there outside, then pour it into the bread pans, or just put the bread pans on the cast iron pan.

If you are adventurous, you can weld up a pie, and make a melting pot, then make custom molds, then make bars any shape or size you want.

I also suggest a resporator rated for lead fumes, and plastic coat the lead. Lead poisoning is not a good thing. It cause skitzfreania (sp?) and illusions of gradeur. If that is your bag, have at it, but when I melt lead I protect myself in any way possible.

You only have one life, untill your next life, but you won't remember your previous life.
Old    tommyadrian5            03-31-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
"illusions of grandeur"

so i'll think my Sportstar is an X-star...sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!