Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (mvp1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
I put together a quick comparison of the DVX and FX1 that some of you might find helpful if you are deciding on a camera. The review with images and video samples is at the link below.

http://www.wakefilms.com/dvx/dvx.htm
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
Very nice write up Mike! Welcome to the pana world! ;-)

I noticed the reference to Mr. Green... Which forum did you post this under at dvx user?

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-04-2005, 6:41 AM Reply   
lol

I'm assuming you shoot with a DVX and not a FX1, am I right?
Then I'm assumming you know the ends and outs of the DVX and not the FX1. Then I'm assuming you can shoot better with the DVX because of your extensive knowledge of the camera.

Not to mention, everyone knows the Sonys dont shoot worth a crap in 30p.

How did you set the Picture Profiles on the FX1, or did you even bother?
Also where you shooting in FULLY manual or auto? If you have ONE setting(iris, shutter speed, or gain) on auto, then all of them are gonna be in automatic because they are all cross-linked in the cameras electronics. Putting one setting on auto makes all of them on auto. And if you were shooting on fully manual, then your image is over-exposed. Generally the FX1 underexposes images while on auto. And did you have the ND filter on? I doesnt look like it.

If you want some help with the FX1(I use a Z1), I will be glad to lend a hand. I shoot outdoor programming for several major networks and would be more than glad to give you some pointers on Picture Profile settings for shooting outside.
Old     (mvp1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Toolfan - I would love to have some tips on outdoor shooting with the cam and retest. I would be interested to know how you set your view finder to try and match the actual video.(the pany seems to have better control over view finder settings) I think this is one of the biggest problem I have with the sony cam. This test was done with PP1, modified to 30p and +3 on the color. Auto on iris, & gain, shutter @ 1000. I bought the Sony before the pany and have used the sony about 6-7 times before I got the pany. This was actually my first use with the pany. I have also shot 60i vs. 60i for some slow motion and found similar results. I have found that the 30p yeilds better resolution than the 60i.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-04-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
for starters, shoot in 60i...always. any filmic interventions on digital cameras(other than george lucas's) are better done in post.

my PP setting for blue bird days(neutral density filter 1 or 2) depending on time of day):
color lvl +6
color phase 0
sharpness 13
skintone dtl off
skintone level middle
ae shift -2
agc limit +4
atw sens middle
black stretch off
cinetone OFF!
cineframe OFF!

the colors will be slightly over saturated, but you can always tone it down in post easily. im just insuring that i get plenty color to start with. make sure you have your gain set to off and on manual. if the gain is on auto, then everything will be on auto. in other words, if only 1 or 2 things are on manual then you are really shooting in auto, because the camera overides the manual settings.

its up to you on the focus, the peaking is ok outside if you set it to red and not yellow, its easier to see to me.