Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (hebertbrian)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-21-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
I'm buying a used 2001 X-30 and am hoping for some advice on the best weighting scenaro. Trying to make a good sized tall/sharp wake, I'm used to a wake with lots of pop. I realize the x-30 v-hull is going to give a more rampy wake, just wondering what setup other x-30'ers have found that give the best air to their tricks.

Any other comments on 2001 X-30's specifically welcome too.

Thanks in advance, seeya out at San Vicente, Elsinore, The River, or Mission Bay.

Brian in SD
Old    wake08            06-21-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
Alot of weight will be needed because the boat is so big
Old     (hebertbrian)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-21-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
Yep, thats what I found out during the test drive/ride (factory ballast only), which is why I'm asking what others have figured out...thx
Old    wake08            06-21-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
As far as weighting these boats there really isnt anything that creative that you can do. You are gonna wanna add as much weight as you can into the boat until you find the wake becomes sloppy or the boat doesnt plane and drive properly. That said I would add some 500 - 600lb sacs on either side of the engine, 250lb - 350lb sacs (what ever you can fit) on both sides under the front seats and maybe another 500lb sac right down the center of the boat. This will most likely be a little too much weight so you can scale down from their depending on what you want. That configuration is pretty much how I ran my X-10 which is the same layout just a little smaller boat.
Old    jpoppa            06-21-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
This is how we weight our X-30 -
two 350 lb sacs in the rear compartments on either side of the engine and a 350 up front as far as it will go in the open bow walkthrough. Plus the factory ballast (two tanks in the back, one in the ski locker) It's better if you put a 550 or 600 lb sac up front though, it makes the boat plane easier. With the weight set up like this the wake is nice and big, rampy, and firm. We ride at 70 feet plus the handle, at 24 mph. Most experienced riders love the wake the boat throws, while inexperienced riders will complain about how wide the wake is. That is why the X-30 doesn't have a good reputation as far as the wake goes, which is totally unfounded. I've ridden behind most tournament boats and this boat throws one of the best wakes available when weighted.

(Message edited by jpoppa on June 21, 2003)
Old     (hebertbrian)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-21-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
Thanks much Jordan. I'm picking up 2 600lb bags soon, I've got a buddy with 2 300's I can play with to dial it in, thanks for saving me some gas/time on the testing!!!