Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2003, 8:42 AM Reply   
I bought my brother a balance 140 with exos and was wonedering if anyone has had the following problems with the exos (and your solutions):

The supplied hardware; screws and washers were nice bits, not the cheesy thumb screws that some come with. The binding baseplates have a corrugation (step-up) next to the rubber, likely for plate stiffening. Unfortunatly, the bend in the baseplate on either the insides or the outsides (can't remember right now!) gets in the way of the washers. This leaves the washer at a slight angle, and the threads not into the board as deep as they would be if it was flush. The other sife of each binding remains flush. Needless to say, one hard fall and one screw ripped right out of the threads. We have fixed this with a different screw/washer setup (always keep all your extra hardware in the boat!!) and it works ok now, but I don't understand why the included hardware doesn't work properly.

The second problem is actually occuring on the other sides of the bindings. It looks like even with the solid looking plate, some kind of plate stiffener is required: after a months use, the plate is bent on both bindings. I doubt he is cutting/falling any harder than typical. Anyone else have these issues with LF bindings, esp. exos??

The bindings are very comfy though, and these are not insurmountable problems.
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-16-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
Umm I ride the balance 140 with exos and have had none of these problems. My first question would, how far ducked out are the bindings? Second question would be what are you doing to get ut of the bindings. That is probably when you are bending the base plates. Cuz I ride pretty hard, take some landing out into the flats and have not had any problem. But have noticed when I am tired and working ahrd to get my foot out of the binding it can tweak it pretty good.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have also noticed those issues when I got my Exos. Mine came with thumb screws, but I got rid of them. I didn't have a problem with the plastic piece because of the way I do my setup, but when I have tried playing with it, I couldn't get some to some setups because of the plastic corrugation you are referring to.

I have the XLs because I am 6'1" and 230 lbs, I got the rainbow bones to help the plates because mine were bending around the thumbscrews as well and this was only after like a month of riding. Get some bones and play with the screw alignments and it will work out alright. I love my Exos, the only bindings I love as much are the Parks, but my Exos were cheaper and I feel I have better ankle support.

Jb
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2003, 3:43 AM Reply   
Yeah, the same thing happened with the Ultras I put on my new Balance last week, the screws supplied were much too short, thankfully my local pro-shop sorted me out straight away with some longer screws.
Old    jlm            06-17-2003, 5:54 AM Reply   
Second on the rainbow bones. I have absolutely no flex now. I also made the overlay switch (previously shown by someone on this site...) Made the switch last night and it felt so much better. Looking forward seeing how much the change effects the comfort when actually riding.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
What is the overlay switch? I have not heard of it before. Thanks.

Jb
Old    jlm            06-18-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
there was a previous post on here that gave me the idea. Apparently Liquid Force published a bulletin that showed moving the overlays from the back/side part of the foot to over the top of the foot. Changes the feel and puts pressure across the top of the foot instead of around the sides.

Best directions from memory:
Remove the bindings and take out the (6) screws on the bottom that hold the white heel covers (my model) Move the overlay from the "middle" prong of the cover to the "front" prong. I made it one hole tighter to keep the tension about the same compensating for the change in angle. Replace the (3) screws and move to the other side and repreat the process. If these directions suck do a search on the board and find the post. It had pictures.

I'm riding this afternoon with the change to be for sure that they feel better-based on the test fit in my garage I think that I now like my Exo's (previously hated them)

Try this...found the link
http://www.liquidforce.com/website/temp_tech_support.html

I did it slightly different but you get the jest of what I was saying.

(Message edited by jlm on June 18, 2003)

(Message edited by jlm on June 18, 2003)