Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 6:05 AM Reply   
What are your opinions on the new skates by Liquid Force??
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
Are there currenlty any shape differences compared to the Casette line-up? The pictures look similar enough. As far as I can tell, neither Dave nor LF has the specs on the site yet.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
they're exactly the same.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
I like the new concave graphics - simple.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
Would never buy them.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
why not. i am looking around and wondering about the feedback on all the boards as well.

thanks
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
I posted a slightly different post to this at www.wakeskating.com earlier.

Thomas and his Cassette team invested all the time and effort into researching and creating those designs and pushing the sport. Then Liquid Force uses them...

Knowing this, I just couldn't give my money to Liquid Force. Especially since it would just save a tiny amount.

Think about who deserves that money and support more... People who are pushing the sport, or people who are following.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
ok. i am with you on that. i thought you were talking about the cassette also. my bad on the assumtion.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Views on ownerhip concentration aside, I would find it hard to call LF a follower as far as wake / skate goes. (Note that I ride a premier, so this is not a HL/LF thing).

Yes, Horrell/Cassette have done a lot for wakeskating, but it is not like they also did not benefit from the alliance with LF to make that happen. Also, Horrell decided to break away from LF and do his own thing, which I think is really cool. But it is not like LF then would have any obligation to not make skates of their own, nor do I think Horrell expected them not to. Competition is good as far as I am concerned...

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
I'm sticking with cassette, but I do like the fact that a melissa has a pro-model.
Old    blais22            06-11-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
yeah, I think it is cool that a girl has her own pro model before a guy. I'm still not sure about how I feel about LF using the same shape as cassette. I've always been a big supporter of cassette and their products and innovation. Unless the prices were a lot better I would still buy a cassette. If a 4-trac Lf was around $100 bones cheaper, I owuld get the LF. If we are talking around $20 less, I'd still go for the cassette. I also think the LF grpahics on the flat boards suck arse!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
help me out here if you can. i have been riding a buddies concave and wondering what the difference between all the boards are. can someone give me a quick run down.

thanks
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
do you mean "all" the wakeskates, or just cassette/LF. And when you say "run down" what would you like to know?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
just for the types. are all boards shaped like the concave a bit?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
concave boards are:
HL: catalyst, Byerly
LF:Concave/ 3D
Cassette: Pro-Models
Kampus: Swing (not sure, could be the other one)
there are more, but my mind is drawing a blank (its like naming all the seven dwarfs, haha)
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
I just thought I'd jump in here and let everybody know a little more about Liquid Force's involvement in Cassette, and wakeskates in general.

First off... I want to thank Fredrik Broen for his comments. He's right on on many of his comments. We had a great run with Thomas, and his crew over the years, and both benefited tremendously from it. Thomas was able to get his name Cassette out to more people than he ever would have on his own. We, in turn, had a fun few years of working with him, and helping get wakeskating to where it is now.

Many of you do not know me, or any of us here at LF, but those that do know us, would know that we worked just as hard... if not harder at times, than Thomas did to get Cassette to where it was. Thomas came up with great ideas, but so did the guys and girls here at LF. Thomas was the first guy to bring wood wakeskates to the market. That was his idea. Everybody has taken that idea and run with it. I'm sure Thomas is stoked on that. It's made the sport better. Jimmy Redmon and Scott Crumrine, here at LF, created the Concave wakeskate. Another idea that has completely changed the sport of wakeskating. Thomas tested it, and was 100% behind the idea, but these guys here are the one's that put the time, energy, and brainpower into making it happen. So.... I guess that makes LF and Cassette even, when it comes to changing the course of wakeskating.

For anybody to say that LF stole Thomas and Cassette's ideas, you need to reconsider. Josh Robinson's comments really got to me. He has no idea what I've done, or Scott Crumrine, or Jimmy, or Tony, or all of our reps that pushed wakeskating so hard, have done. We helped design everything. We helped promote everything. We helped find people to make the boards cheaper, and better than ever. We did so many things to help, that I can't even begin to tell you everything. Yes... Thomas and Chris Mack, and the other guys did a lot of work, as well, but they didn't do all of it.

I'm stoked for Thomas's opportunity to run with Cassette on his own. He's a good guy, and has done a lot for wakeskating. Don't count us out, though. We're just as into it as Thomas is.

All that I do is wakeskate. It's all that a lot of us here at LF do.

If you don't want to buy our boards because you don't like the graphics as much as Thomas's, that's cool. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with people claiming that we "stole" anything from Thomas, or that we are just following. We've been leading the entire time. We've never followed. We were a team with Thomas. He did some stuff, and we did some stuff.

Now, we're both on our own, and moving forward. Thomas decided he wanted to go out on his own. We weren't pushing him away... he decided to leave.

Thomas and I are close friends, and I know that he knows the truth.

Hopefully those of you that believe in LF will continue to. We've never been followers, and never will.

Thanks for your support!

Don Wallace
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
AWESOME INSIGHT.
thanks don. very enlightening...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
thanks for the insight Don.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Hey, not to have a whole thread of thanks, but I also appreciate the info.

Any plans on making a concave 44 or 45? (I guess it does not appear so from Dave's article...)
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.

We'll have plenty of new stuff in the works. For now, though, we're sticking with what we've had in the past. A few small changes, but not many. We just wanted to make sure that the wakeskate world wasn't without decks for too long.

We may do a bigger Concave. There hasn't been a ton of demand for them, but we have thought about it.

Keep checking. Maybe we'll do the Fredrik Broen Pro Model. haha.

Thanks again!

Don W.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
Good to know, thanks for speaking up!:-)
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 10:07 PM Reply   
I thought it was Schmaltz's comments that got to you earlier?

Note, did not mention word stole once.
Old    mt_hed            06-12-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
there is a lot of LF haytin' on wakeskating.com
Thats not cool
Old    the_truth            06-12-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
Just to step in a bit, the only thing LF bit off of are the WestCoast Wakeskates UBP graphics, which have been out for the last 8 months. Check wakeskate.com, black with pink overspray as a secondary color? Come on LF, get original.
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 5:32 PM Reply   
Lance,
Sorry man... I hadn't heard of WestCoast Wakeskates, and we hadn't seen your graphics. I'll check it out, though. Melissa wanted this graphic. It resembled some normal skateboard decks that she liked, and resembled the hangtags that we did on our vest this year.

Sorry about that. If you had the graphic first, though, I'm sure people will realize that.

No harm was meant.

Thanks,
Don

Old    avalanche            06-12-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
check this post out and get the real story on the bros from LF! http://www.wakeskating.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=2511&t=2511
Old    cpowell21            06-13-2003, 8:37 PM Reply   
ok if you didnt click the one above click this one now and read every post. http://www.wakeskating.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=2511&t=2511
Old    railtap            06-14-2003, 9:01 PM Reply   
is there anyone here that even wakeskates? 90% of you guy's are strapers... get a clue if LF was so legit do you think Don Wallace would come out of nowhere and beg for business, let me guess jimmy redmen, and tony finn did the first noseslides too... Cassette's the OG not LF!
Old    the_truth            06-14-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Don-
I'm not with the company, I just saw the graphics on wakeskate.com a few months ago. The rest of the LF boards look insane, I just noticed a strong resemblance between the two.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
John,

Yeah, cuz if you are not ONLY doing one thing, how could you POSSIBLY enjoy any of it or have any clues about anything. I mean you are just not pure enough to be worthy.

(Message edited by fbroen on June 16, 2003)
Old    shaggydan22            06-25-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
this is off a simalar discussion at wakeskating.com

Re: Liquid Force Wakeskates
Author: thomas horrell
Date: 06-12-03 21:59

alright,

erich--- thank you, and you know where my heart's at.....

don---

you said in the above:
"It's made the sport better. Jimmy Redmon and Scott Crumrine, here at LF, created the Concave wakeskate. Another idea that has completely changed the sport of wakeskating. Thomas tested it, and was 100% behind the idea, but these guys here are the one's that put the time, energy, and brainpower into making it happen. So.... I guess that makes LF and Cassette even, when it comes to changing the course of wakeskating."

THIS IS A STRAIGHT UP LIE. EVERY PART OF IT.

Liquid Force backed "the sponge" when i brought the concept of Cassette to you. i hate this, seriously reading this garbage makes me ill to my stomach.......... ------------------- there isn't a feeling in the world like having somebody not only steal your work but also claim that it was their idea to begin with-------------------

don wallace, you've belittled our friendship which i've always believed in, and disgusted me as whatever inspiration i brought to you and your company

"there's kid's playing guns in the street, and one's pointing his tree branch at me, so i put my hands up-- i say enough is enough-- if you walk away, i'll walk away.....and then he shot me dead." ---conor oberst

enough..........
look, listen, and let's all learn...........Sfumato and 04'
Cassette Wakeskates: Jim Leatherman, Aaron Reed, Drew McGuckin, Myles Vickers, Josh Johnson, Juston Tucker and Danny Hampson

thomas horrell
Linear Distribution
2506B Taylor Ave.
Orlando, FL 32805
(407)849-9000

Old    andystrawn            06-25-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
I always thought LF sucked. Real wakeskaters should boycott all thier stuff.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2004, 11:25 PM Reply   
I have a LF skate and it's awesome....keep up the great work LF!
Old    stoked27            08-26-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
All business aspects aside, all the boards ride fine I'm sure. I haven't even tried wakeskating yet, I get to tomorrow and I'm stoked. But come on, get over the immaturity and just let people form their own opinions. I'll probably end up buying a board, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone else's personal relations keep me from getting a board I may want.
If you can't ride a certain brands board because you think the whole company sucks, then you obviously don't rip behind a boat. Any person who can even decently ride will notice positive and negative aspects of each brand and each MODEL, since not all board makers boards are the same. That is why they make different models. So if you try one model, you can't rule out the entire company. Both Cassette and LF are furthering the sport, and I'm glad. They're obviously creating pretty good competition, and last time I checked, that's something that helps keep the prices lower. Cassette and LF, keep up the good work.