Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    smitty98            06-02-2003, 12:54 AM Reply   
Im about to get a Canon A70 with a waterproof case for boarding. Its not a top of the range model but has some manual settings. From in the boat what camera settings should i be using?

I know the boat bounces round a bit so i was thinking a quick shutter speed. What shutter speed does everyone use?

Any other hints?
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2003, 1:56 AM Reply   
500 and higher is what i'd think to use
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2003, 4:09 AM Reply   
Shutter 1000, f stop of around 5.6 or lower and ISO 100 works well.

Don't have your shutter at anything less than 800.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
Look at my article on the front page of Wakeworld.com on shooting lessons.

JB
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-02-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Most cameras have a "sports setting" that kick the lense speed up if you want to use automatic settings. The focus does need to be set manually though. Have the rider sit behind the boat for a minute. Zoom in as far as you can then set the focus on the rider manually the best you can. I never use the external LCD to shoot from. Not only is it hard to see in the daylight but it wastes batteries.

How much media do you currently have and what type is it?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-02-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
I appreciate the tips as well.
I have been using my Minolta S414 in auto, because I'm just learning to use the cam. I'm having limited success. I thought it had sports mode, but after looking in my manual I can't seem to find it. I know I have many options in manual mode including 1/1000 shutter, 3.6 f stop and ISO 64. I think I need to experiment with these settings.
Peter, are you focusing manually through the viewfinder or by using the LCD?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-02-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
I focus it through the view finder which is actually an LCD on my camera.
Old    smitty98            06-02-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thanks, i'll try a few at 500-800. Then the rest up to 1000.

I'll use the LCD becase i bought extra batteries so i an use it and play back. Ive got 2 sets atm and going for a third.

Media, i think thats mb's so if it is im using a 256mb and thinking of getting another if i seem to fill it up quite easy with movies and rapid shooting.