Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
So, we didn't get the original house we were looking at, but my wife and I are trying to buy the house in this pic. I know it's probably impossible to tell from this pic, but would it be possible to get a boat up this driveway? In person, it seems pretty steep. My Nauty does have some wheels on the bottom of the trailer that i had custom installed.

Also, for the construction crew out there, is it an expensive proposition to extend the garage either two feet forward or two feet back? I would assume 2 feet forward would be easier (at least for the opening, with an extended awning), but I think it would likely block the kitchen window. The garage in this pic is only 20 feet deep (i need 22 feet), but it is nice and wide at 22feet wide. I realize I could try and wedge it in sideways, but straight back would definitely be preferable. It's not a definite that we'll get this place by any stretch, but getting our ducks in a row, just in case. Thoughts and feedback are appreciated. thanks.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Tommy,

My driveway is as steep as that one appears, and it is gravel...

I back the boat and other toys up it all the time. It just takes a little practice, and time, and you can do it. Don't get frustrated..If your trailer has surge brakes, make sure you engage the lock-out before starting up the driveway.
I have a 4x4 truck with manual hubs and I regularly put the transfer case in 4low, and leave the hubs unlocked to back up the drive when the camper is on the truck and the boat is behind it. If you have that option, I suggest it.
I will defer to the construction types on your other questions.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
I'm with Army Dad. I have a fairly step and long drive way. I lock out the trailer brakes and back the boat up using 4x4 LO

I'm not sure on the construction question.
sdsfg
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
cool, good to know. My wife and i both have 4wd, so we can definitely put it in low.

Now, just hoping we can get the darn house. Hopefully, there's something we can do on the length as well...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-06-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
I'm about to get a quote on extending my garage 8 feet wider and 8 feet deeper. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
When you do that ask about an option of moving the door to the left wall. Looks shorter, straighter and posibly wider. Will also open up the front yard.

my $.02

SD2
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Well thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Good news is that this time we got the house. I guess we'll have to see if i can wedge the boat in there, but i am optimistic. It's only 20 feet deep, but 22' wide, which should allow for some maneuverability. There's currently a sink and washer/dryer which we can have relocated if necessary. i'm also going to look into getting dollies, recommended on my other garage post. Cross your fingers for me!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 8:24 AM Reply   
try a powermover or power caster.. they are pretty pricey($800-$1000) but you can get move the boat/trailer down to the 1/2".

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Mike... do you have any links for the items you mentioned above? I'm in a dilemma myself.. was thinking about mounting a winch to the rear of my garage then using that and a dolly to move the boat in as it JUST fits in width wise.. either that or I was going to look at a mini ATV or golf car and use that to manuver :-)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-07-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
Absolutely.

My driveway is twice as steep as yours. I had to put the welded wheels on the back of the trailer, but it goes right up, no problem. You will need to make sure you have enough horsepower in your tow vehicle, and a way to turn off the surge brakes. I just use a C clamp with a hand towel so I don't scratch my trailer.

pic
Old    swass            02-07-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
http://www.powercaster.com/
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
John, i've got the wheels welded on the bottom as well, so should be ok there.

Swass, i've seen the powercaster, as well as the PowerMover (powermoverinc.net). I'm assuming you mean for maneuvering around the garage, I don't think there's a way i would ever want to use one of those to power up the driveway...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
i use a powercaster up a slight incline and it works fine... they have different models for specific weight and application.

they have a very cool attachment that drops the front of the trailer so the folded tower clears the garage..

here is the link for powermover..

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

good luck,

mike}
Old    swass            02-07-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
Sorry - Stuey asked for a link re: Mike's suggestion.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
i thought so...can you imagine pushing your boat up an inclined driveway like that with one of those Power Movers? Talk about tempting death...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
it might work if you back the boat up close up to the garage and use the powermover ac-12 or 14 to finish it off..

you might be surprsed by how well it works(i use it to push a 5000lb cc 211 and trailer up a 7-10 degree driveway... the limiting factor is a angled surface ( if one wheel is high than the other, then traction will be lost)

btw, the owner is a great guy and offers 60 day trial period.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-07-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I bought two of these Pow'R Pulls at Lowes.

http://www.maasdam.com/catalog/sections.html

Then I put some fairly large eyelets into the studs of the walls of my garage about 15 inches off the floor.

After my boat is on the wheel dolly's that I bought at harbor freight...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38959

I can pull my tandem trailer around inside the garage anywhere I want and place it in the tightest of spots.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-07-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
Hijack for stupid questions.

1) Do you have to use a jack to get the trailer onto the dolly's?
2) Two sets of dolly's for a dual axle trailer?
3) How hard is it to push a boat sideways on a flat asphalt driveway? Are the pulley contraptions necessary?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-07-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
There are no stupid questions:

1. Yes. I use a hydrolic floor jack and lift each side and place the dollys under two wheels at a time. This takes about 3 minutes per side.

2. Yes, you need a total of 4 dollys since the max capacity per dolly is 1500 lbs, I would not want my 2800lb boat plus trailer (500lbs approx) on two dollys.

3. Don't know. I can push my boat around pretty well on the smooth concrete garage floor without having to use the power pull. However, there are times where the dolly wheels are not pointing in the right direction and getting it to go where you really want it to go can be difficult. Once the dolly wheels are pointing in the right direction, it's very easy to keep it moving in that direction. It can also be difficult to move it out of a tight location without pulling it out because you just can't get enough leverage behind the boat to push.
Old    swass            02-07-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
John, do you put your boat up on dollies every time you return from the lake?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-07-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
definitely go back for the addition..also..why only 2feet? if you can go more, definitely go MORE..like 8-10ft if possible...the price would be relatively the same ...give or take a few hundred...plus you would be ALOT happier in the long run

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
after going by the place again today, i think you're right Midwesty. Best choice is to go back. Unfortunately, i'm going to be close to my neighbors property line, with lots of regulations here in CA. it's something i'm definitely going to have to spend some time to get right, and it's not necasarrily going to be the first project when we move in (unfortunately for me, we have to take off carpets, redo hardwood floors, etc...).

If anybody in the construction biz has ballpark on what a wall pushback of a few feet might run, i'd certainly be interested to hear...
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2005, 11:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the links.. those things are pretty cool but definetly pricy!

Hmm..always wondered if those little 125 cc mini ATV's could pull my boat trailer into the garage if I built a dolly for the tongue. I've seen them haul ass for a little engine so I wonder if they could tow 40ft :-)
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-08-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
Tommy, if you do an addition to the rear of your garage, make sure you don't cross your building setback line. This distance from property line will vary from city to city, but may be as little as 5 feet. The city may also require you to have a surveyor come out and stake the property line. They may also require the surveyor to give them a letter varifing that the new addition does not excede the setback line. As far as construction costs, new construction is $200-300 per sqft. but for your case it may be a lump sum figure.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-08-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
Just a heads up on determining if your boat would fit in your garage or not.

Take width squared + depth squared = diagnol lenght squared.

a standard 20 x 20 garage would be:

20 squared = 400 + 400 = 800

square root of 800 = 28.28427 feet.

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-08-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
swass:

The answer is no I don't do it every time. If I'm not going to use the boat for more than 10 days or so, I will put it up on the dollys.

It takes about an extra 10 or 15 minutes to get it all put away with the dollys, and an extra 7 or so to take it back out again. However, with it put away on the dollys I can get three cars in my garage too.

During the summer it's just easier most of the time to put it in the garage diagonal and park my SUV on the driveway. In fact, if I'm going two days in a row, I will park it at the top of my driveway so I don't have to collapse the tower.
Old    swass            02-08-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
I wasn't trying to put you on the defensive. I was just curious. If I had to, I'd go to just about any effort to get my boat indoors.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
SupraSteve, thanks for the geometry lesson, I was trying to remember that formula last night. Here's the problem with it though, the boat is 8 feet wide, so i assume i need extra length, the question is how much? Well i'm going there with a tape measure tomorrow, so i'm going to try and figure it out...
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
If the boat is 8 feet wide and is placed exactly diagonal in the garage, then the center of the transom will be 4 feet from the corner. So subtract 4 feet and you have 24.28427. Then take off another foot or so more because you will have at least a few inches between the boat and the walls. So maybe around 23 feet?

The transom becomes the long side of right triangle in the corner of the garage. Split that triangle in half by drawing a line from the center of the transom to the garage corner, you then have two right triangles. You can apply the same formula from above to figure it out. But if you draw it on paper, it is obvious that the line from the edge of the boat to the center of the transom (4 ft) is the same length as the line from the center of the transom to the corner (another right triangle).
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-08-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
You might be able to extend your garage more if you stay below the fence line and get closer to the property line than if it was extended above the fence line in height. Most properties in CA will allow you to put a structure within 5 feet of the property line as long as it is below the fence hieght. If above, it's usually 12 feet but that varies by city and county.

You might be able to create a notch that the back of the boat can tuck into when you park it.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Matt, yep you're exactly right. good news is that i'll be able to get it in there straight off the bat.

John, good thought. I'll check it out much more in depth tomorrow, see where we stand...thanks for all the help guys, definitely have eased my concerns. now, i just have to worry about my huge friggin mortgage on this place.