Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (ajimmyjammin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-06-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
does anyone have any kind of input on this. i did a last min correction on a tantrum into the flats and wasn't squared up over the board when i came down...two days and a swollen knee later, i'm talking to my buddies about giving them some pulls...my pt seems to think i sould be good to go in about two weeks. it sucks, we're losing daylight everyday along with the falling temps. i'm hating the fact that i'm losing board time.
Old     (ajimmyjammin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-06-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
just for clearification my tear is minor to maybe moderate. i'm using rest,ice,and elevation to treat the knee. the injery happened on sunday afternoon. it was on ice all day monday. i had to work today so it didn't get any rest or ice until after 6 today.

(Message edited by ajimmyjammin on October 06, 2009)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-06-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
I hate to say it, but I did the same thing and I ignored doctors orders, pushing it too hard. A couple months later I was still in PT because of it Ask the doc - and trust him. I know it's the end of the season, and just like me, you'd kill for another set, but you'd rather sit a bit longer now, than watch your buddies hit the water next year as you're still rehabing if you blow it because you're favoring it
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
I tore my meniscus in my right knee a few years back. I went and got the mri. However the doctor said he is not that worried about it unless its just unbearable. I havent got it fixed yet but gets sore after I ride. Doesnt bother me so much when Im riding. It hurts more if I am walking all day more than when I wakeboard.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-06-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
Don't push it, i'm on day 10 after surgery to repair a tear and remove a flap. No fun.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-07-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
The problem witha torn meniscus is that they will never heal because of no blood flow. I torn my lateral side of my meniscus in my right knee. I still wrestled, which is very hard on knees, and rode for a year with no problem until I tore the other side of the meniscus as well. That became unbearable. I would ride a set then not be able to walk for three days.

See a doctor listen to him and give a little bit for the swelling to go down. The actual meniscus tear will never heal so after that just do what you would normally do.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-07-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Have same thing (backroll gone bad) & Mark is right - never heals. All you can do is have them go in and snip off the part that is torn.

Take it easy for a while. No need to ice literally all day - after 15-20 minutes, ice has done all it is going to do. Give it a rest for an hour or 2 & then ice again for 20 minutes. Take ibuprofin for the swelling.

Mine actually feels better when I use it (except if I bear weight in a catcher's stance position). Odd injury but apparently fairly common to this kind of frivolity.

Hope you're better & on the water soon.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-07-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
One other thing to remember. About 90% of the time someone tears a meniscus there is some ligament damage. All three times I have turn my menisci I have sprained a ligament. The LCL and MCL can heal on there own with about 4-6 weeks. As for PCL and ACL no healing. If you have a partial tear and push it you will be on the operating table.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
A tore mine as well...last year. It still bothers me. Everytime I'm done riding I'm limping and it's sore until the next day. Looks like the rest of us -it's something you'll have to deal with.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
I tore mine 2 years ago and got back on the board after a few weeks and reagrivated/tore it some more. I ended up having surgery and getting about 20% taken out. It took close to a year before I had no more pain in the knee. It doesnt heal so it is constantly getting pinched when it is torn. I have some cool pics of it from inside my knee I will try to scan.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-08-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
For those who have had surgery, how bad is the whole ordeal? Pain after surgery, recovery pain, and time? I have to have my left knee scoped this winter, both the outer and inner are torn.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
tore my acl and had bucket handle tear on my meniscus back in 07. they were able to reconstruct my acl and were able to repair my meniscus since there was so much bloodflow from repairing the acl. It was about 8 weeks before i could start walking again. trust me you dont want to go through any major surgery unless you absolutely have to. I was out for almost 8 months.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-08-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Brian-

I had my knee scoped inside and out like your talking about. They took out 50% of my meniscus. Some pain after surgery but in all it's minor. As for recovery pain..I didn't experience a lot of pain mostly decreased strength and flexibility. I had surgery at the beginning of the college wrestling season. I was competing a month and a half after surgery. You can start to walk the day after surgery. Just do the pt and you'll be back in no time. However I still have some scar tissue from surgery so I'm not as flexible.