Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                03-13-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
ok i have a digital 8mm camera, a computer and some win tv program from a few years back. should i be able to put video onto wakepics? or what else do i need? thanks
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-13-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87667/216269.html?1110396609
Old                03-15-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
i appreciate your post but that does not help me too much. let me reword my first post. i have a sony digital 8mm camera.
and a computer. what else do i need to make this happen?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-15-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
Well I thought that other thread might get into more detail.

Sorry I know how to do it with a Mac (no one's ever asked though). with a PC there's too many variables. First answer this: does your PC have a firewire port? because your sony digital 8 should, and that's the way you'll transfer (or digitize) your video & audio into the PC. You also need to identify what software you have that will allow you to do the above and then edit your video. I've heard Windows Movie Maker mentioned before as a free (or cheap) editor.

In the mean time it would be nice to hear from all those people that are always telling me that it's just as easy to do this with a PC as a Mac. How about giving this guy a little help?
Old                03-16-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
thanks rich
firewire port no. can i get one yes?
what am i looking at as far as price and name?
my camera does have a wire link coming out of it. i will play around and see if i can get it. thanks again
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-19-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Ryan-

You can purchase a firewire at most big box stores. I got mine at Fred Meyer. Works great. Price is like $10-$20. depends on length & Manuf.
As for the difference in PC & Mac for "editing", the top of the line basic to advanced can use it but it is made to be used by the pros.(thats why it's like a $1,000), is Final Cut Pro HD made by Apple and can ONLY be used on a MAC. You can choose to edit your vids on a pc with like Premiere, Vegas, Avid ect.
To answer your problem with the Wakepics thing, I'm guessing that you want to Upload your home vids to there site. In order to do this, you need to find out how many kb's your video is and follow there guidelines on this. It can't be to large. Now, if it is, then you need to COMPRESS your videos. You can use windows media encoder, which is very simple. I use MainConcept MPEG encoder. After you compress it(the compressed vid should now be saved in like your C drive. So now you go to Wakepics and sign in ect. click on the upload and the rest should be done for you.

I don't know what your Win TV program thing is but that sounds like just an editing software for your pc.? that won't help you encode unless there is an encoder within the program.
I hope this helps you a little more. I could go deeper into explaining things but this should give you a basic understanding on this.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-20-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
Once you have your firewire card installed you could download Avid Express DV which I believe is free, create your edited video using that and compress for the web/wakepics using the windoes media center (as robert mentions above). I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that digital 8 is just DV on an 8mm tape format so any editing program that supports DV (just about all of them) should work properly with it.
Old                03-20-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
cool i am excited. i just need to buy a few things thanks