Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
I know this has had to been posted before but.
I was chatting with a friend tonight. I figured that I have been riding over 14 years. I have meet a lot of cool people along the way and also seen a lot of people come and go over the years.

Like I always say I might not have a lot of money when I go, but I will die rich in pulls and friends I have meet along the way. To me wakeboarding is a lifestyle.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Nice post Squid.....

Im new to wakeboarding 3 years ago, never saw a board until I was 24 but I have ridden with well over 50 people from wakeworld in at least 5 different states....

I also just hosted a get together at my home this past weekend and I have to say that the wakeboard community is the best I have ever met.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-20-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
I'm winding down my 9th season of what I consider wakeboarding. If I included the 4 days in the year that got me hooked I could say 10 but it wasn't much of a year, it's just what started this long ride.

I've been lucky enough that wakeworld is a big community with a big heart and great friends. I'm always greatful to those of you on here that have stepped up and welcomed me from the airport, to the pulls, to your homes. There's not a better group, a diverse group of people I'd rather call my friends.

Then there's the largely non wakeworld local scene here in Alberta. It too has welcomed me with pretty open arms as I joined Waterski Wakeboard Alberta as Director of Wakeboard Development in the fall of 2005 and I can say that between Shawn Gratzfeld (Director of Wakeboard Training and I won't lie he's the bigger fish), my local support team (headed up by Clint), all the board companies and sponsors that came on board, and the many riders and individuals I've met, that we as a community are striving for improvement to Alberta wakeboarding.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
this is my second season.. Im so stoked on this sport!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
I have grown up around the water since my parents were into the whole single skiing thing. I would say that I have been wakeboarding for around 9-10 seasons as well. I just recently became more active on wakeworld and it paid off huge. I have met a couple of fellow riders here and spent the majority of this last summer hanging with some great people. I will be looking to meet more people here soon since one of my closest riding buds is moving away.

Wakeboarding has definitely been more of a lifestyle than a hobbie for sure. Simply being on a boat is therapy for me!
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-20-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
just ending my 4th summer.
everyone ive ever met from free riders to reps to owners of companys have just been such great people to me and i dont think there is a better sport that welcomes everyone from first timers to pros into their homes and boats.
im just stoked to be involved and be a part of the growth in such a great sport

TC
Old    walt            09-20-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   

quote:

Like I always say I might not have a lot of money when I go, but I will die rich in pulls and friends I have meet along the way.

Did You come up with that Squid ? I like it !

I think this is My third year ? And I still SUCK !
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
I Knew after I saw Wakeboarding in the X games in 1996, that "This is what I had been looking for for years" . We used to try to jump the wake watersking back in the 70's and 80's. Yea, I'm old. I first tried in 97. I bought a Connely wakeboard before they were CWB before i ever bought a boat...I just knew this sport was for me. Oh yea, I still suck as a boarder, but it's still fun.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Walt, ya came up with that saying.
Old    rizzle            09-20-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
I first learned of wakeboarding watching parks pull bel airs in the 96 X-Games...He must've been 14. It's truely a young sport and the people just starting now are still watching wakeboarding's growth from it's "beginning."
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
Since the beginning...
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2006, 11:47 PM Reply   
The first time I was on a wakeboard was 1993 it was the H.O. Eric Perez. It's been 13 years now.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2006, 2:18 AM Reply   
The first time i try wakeboarded 6 years ago in my country (Russia). It was a boat with 30 Horse Power engine. My friends bought some stuff for me when they left from US. it was a 136 Shawns model. I didnt know who is that guy...))) I didnt see any videos or somebody who rides. Once i saw a x-games - its a change my mind! After was mine first video - Shaft! So, from that time im sick!!! Now i can do a basics tricks, and i have a lot of fun!
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2006, 4:00 AM Reply   
Skurfer in 92, first twin tipped wakeboard in 97. I didn't ride much from 00-04 so I'd say I've got ~5 seasons under my belt.....I still suck but I always have fun.
Old     (tellicolakerider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2006, 5:01 AM Reply   
this is my third year out, i go out everyday rain or shine, making so much progress... placed in 4 competitions!
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-21-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
I GOT MY FIRST DIRECTIONAL BOARD IN 95, AND HAVE BEEN RIDING SINCE....BUT THIS WAS THE FIRST YEAR I EVER REALLY GOT TO RIDE MORE THAT THREE OR FOR RUNS ALL SUMMER.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-21-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
I bought my first wakeboard with a friend on 9-11-01. We rode that board untill last year. When I bought a decent boat, board, binding, rope and everything else. The weird thing is that I dont think we have anymore fun behind my boat than we did behind he old fish/ski. Dont get me wrong I would not trade my boat back for that one.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
Started back in 95' on the Neptune Viscous Fishes board with wake sandals. Summer of 96' I switched to a Hyperlite Rebel, I really wanted the BAFF but could't afford it. I was so pumped after watching 'Expression Session'. It's still one of my favorite videos. We bought a skylon in 96' as well. We were the only boat in Michigan with a Skylon for who knows how many years. We got a lot of funny looks.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-21-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
I have been at it for 15 years, just ask my knees and back!!!

Later,
jjakober
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-21-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
A friend of mine with a boat got a WakeTech Magic Air for sale at Sports Authority back in 1997. We rode the entire summer of 97 and a few times in 98 but I moved away for college and haven't lived that near a lake since. I didn't get back into wakeboarding again until 2003 when my cousin bought a boat and I've been going regularly since then (even bought my own boat in 2004). So I guess the answer is six years.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-21-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
Rode the skurfer on the cable in the late 80's. Really got into modern wakeboarding in '95. Benn riding hard ever since. The last 3 years have been mostly kiteboarding.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Rode a wakeboard for the first time in '01, bought a boat and became an addict in '02. I love this sport. Everytime I think I'm getting burnt out I find a way to rack myself and stay off the water for a few weeks. Then the itch comes back so bad it's all I think about. Looking out at the rain during the winter causes severe depression....

Like a lot of people here: I too, have met too many cool people to list through wakeboarding. I've never been involved in another sport so diverse and so full of people willing to spend time/money to help others spawn their addiction.

It is, absolutely, a lifestyle. Just look, I should be working right now, but I'm on wakeworld. I wonder how much revenue is lost to Wake World in the course of a year. LOL!!!

(Message edited by guido on September 21, 2006)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I was into racing jet skis in 98, 1996 Yamaha Superjet, and someone showed up at our practice with a wakeboard. I got a pull and I was addicted. That year I sold my race ski and bought a 1991 MC PS190. I boarded for a two years or so and then I took a couple of years off raising kids. Now that they are 5 & 7 and boarding, I'm having more fun now than when I started.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-21-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
2 and 1/2 years.Started in MAy of 2004.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-21-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
4 years. 3rd year as a boat owner and I love it.

yea, its a good thing there isn't an hour meter in our profiles!
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
7 years for me. 9 years ago my parents made the mistake of letting my cousins pull me on a kneeboard, 2 years later we had a boat and discovered wakeboarding. I keep telling people theres nothing better than spending a nice day on the water and for some reason more and more people want to come out every year. :-)

Boris, I love your profile pic. It's almost that time of year again, high in the 60's in CT today :-(
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I got my first wakeboard when I was 9. We got the video "how to ride a wakeboard" with Gator and Bylerly and when I saw that I was hooked. So I guess its been like 9 years since I started.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Skurffer Launch in 1988
Old    infrandom            09-21-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
I would call this my first real year and I'm definatly hooked. Last year my friends and I all had problems just getting up. We were all new by the end of the year we were getting up but then winter came.

This year has been the first real learning year, it was a slow start but its starting to come together. Hoping to have my own boat in a couple years, but for now, whenever I can find a ride I'm there!
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Ya'll make me feel old. Bought the bright pink skurfer when I was 11. Got the first composite Hyperlite pro couple years later(still get on it once in awhile). Took the last few years off for lack of boat but a free boat and a new board fixed that.That makes season 17 I think.

Hey Broady If U still got that Eric Perez lets get on an old school board battle.You bring the beer.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Waterski career 1972-1994 (retired, well bored actually)
Wakeboard career 1992-???? (too old for this sh.t, but love it too much to stop)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-21-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Circa 1993 on a Connely Blade one-directional with some awesome sandal bindings. Our 16.5 foot Ebbtide with a 150 Johnson did the pulling.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
1983 for me. Took about a decade off while serving in the USMC.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
3 years ago my friend started dating a guy who wakeboarded and wanted her to go, and she didn't want to go without knowing what she was doing so she didn't embarrass herself, so she asked me to take a lesson with her. that was the first time i heard of wakeboarding and i've been doing it since. this summer i've really loved it because i'm finally trying to do tricks instead of just riding. as for friends - wakeboarding friends are great. in fact, when my jeep died last weekend, it was kraig (the boat owner in my crew) who i called to help me out - so apparently he's good for pulls on AND off the water!!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-21-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Got my first board for x-mas last year and I've been riding almost every weekend since. Wakeboarding isn't a lifestyle, it's an addiction, it's a good addiction though, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
learned to ride a skurfer at Lake Trinity, in the summer of 1990. a stranger saw us struggling to get up on it, and offered some advice. big thanks to whomever that was. been on and off a board ever since. spent too many years (1994-2000) drinking instead of riding. bought a boat a couple of years ago, and am now much more serious about having fun behind the boat. (if that makes any sense)
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
I got a Skurfer Launch for my birthday in 1988. I didn't really like it and stuck with my Connelly F44 Craze (freestyle slalom ski - for jumping the wake) until about 1993. In about 1996, I landed my first back roll, and that's when I really got into it.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-21-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
so this will be my 3rd summer. only 1 more year untill i can go as big as tony carroll hahaha
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-21-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Matt, I think we are the only two that still ride out of that whole INT bunch from back in the day.
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-21-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
no no squid squirrel and i are still goin i think 12 or 13 years
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
matt said "the whole single skiing thing"
from now on the word "slolom" will not be used on wakeworld, it will be refered to as "the whole single skiing thing"
Old     (xaolin)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
I am brand new to wakeworld and the entire sport of wakeboarding never been on a boat or seen board until about the middle of this season. Since I started I cant seem to stay off my local lake. About a month ago I landed my first w2w. Im looking forward to taking it to the next level.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-22-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Way too long.....
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
About 3 years.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-22-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding for about ten years. I got burnt out on it for a couple of years though. I guess that is what happens when something is your main focus for a long time. I am back riding really hard again and I love the sport again. But it is definately not my main focus anymore. BCP Mike
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-22-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
I first tried wakeboarding in 99 when i lived in Cali at Castaic Lake. I only got up once and didnt really give it a chance after that.Since then moved to Florida and had a friend who was always trying to get me to go in 03.I blew it off remembering my last go around in 99.Finally in the spring of 04 after a bad break up with my girlfriend I was doing anything to keep my mind off her.So I went out and tried again.The guys I went with were really good therefore helping me get up in a few attempts.Well I went a few more times and was hooked. Late spring of 04 bought a boat and all my gear and now 2 boats later and 3 Florida seasons later its still all so sweet.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
This is my first season -- I started mid-June. Ask anyone who has ridden with me this summer -- I am a complete addict. I could probably ride everyday and it still wouldn't be often enough. I just wish I would have started sooner! It's been a great first season though -- I'm pretty solid on my w2w and very excited that I got my first couple board grabs a couple days ago . . . Now I'm looking for ways to extend the season (drysuit, trips to warmer climates, etc.).
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
jen....you are from cary, il? i am from rockford.....where do you ride....email me at cweber@rbcsuccess.com we may have to ride sometime
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Over a decade. I highly doubt my life would even be the close to the same as it is now if it hadn't been for wakeboarding. I have definitely met a lot of good friends through riding. I also met my wife through it too...so yeah, been in the game for a while, and owe the game quite a bit.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-25-2006, 4:51 AM Reply   
Started 4 years ago behind an old Alumnacraft fishing boat, wake got better the longer we were out cause it leaked so bad we would have water up past our ankles.Rode probably twelve times that first year it was all over after that. Bought a new boat the next summer,got my wife riding, got all my friends hooked, got the kids into it, started attending events as family vacations,landed first invert and spins, Cold weather gear, helped my five year old son get up for the first time- the look on his face was amazing! My 3 and a half years that I've been involved are a blur of good times. Looking to buy my second boat this winter. I can't get enough.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
I think I'm in around 9 or 10...it's hard to remember but I started on my Obrien Double Ender...