Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
We had a slight mishap on the boat and broke one of Dennis' new TWP Composite X C5 boxes. The result of a slip and fall:

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
Dennis suggested that rather than replacing the C5, that we install a standard Futures box. Currently the C5's only have, I BELIEVE, 2 3/8's and 2 5/8's fin depth - anyway, not a lot of variety, but the standard Futures boxes can go as small as 2 3/8 retail - anything you want via a grinder :-) and up to something like 4.5 inches.

Dennis' idea was that deeper fins could turn the Comp X 4.5 into a more newbie friendly board. Plus it would be interesting to see what this board would be like with more drive.

The project :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
We are going to route out the existing C5 boxes, so the first thing you want to do is remove the metal set screws from the existing boxes.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
The Futures fin boxes are installed with a tenplate and jig. The aluminum jig helps line up the box on the board. There is a special collar on the bottom of the router that allows the bit to cut two different depths. The boxes have a flange at the surface and a narrower but deeper extension for the base of the fin.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
All routed and the boxes pressed in. All that's left is to epoxy them in place.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
In case you don't have fresh boxes, just find a donor board! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-12-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Just a few things to remember. The Futures rail boxes are 3/4 inch depth, the Comp X was 7/8 deep, so the gap was very close! You can NOT perform this on a Walzer 5/8, a 1 inch will work.

This board is EPS, so epoxy only! Polyester Resin will destroy it.

I used the existing toe-in angle of the fins, I'm not fond of it, but it's TWP's creation. You can mark up any toe-in that you want.

What's next? :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on September 12, 2007)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
thats an awesome idea! lets see if with the fins, what size did you put in?
Old    surfdad            09-13-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
We have fins that range from 3.25 through 4.00's. When I get home this evening, blanks in the truck :-) I'll toss a set of 3.5's in it for you to see. If I have a spare set of fins around, I'll see if I can do a work-around for folks like you that want a deeper fin for a Walzer or Comp X's
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
that would be great if you had some fins you could make work in the walzer :-)

so whats up with the LF skimskate project?
Old    surfdad            09-13-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'd like to try it in our Walzer too.

On the LF, I mic'ed the thickness at around 3/8" where I want to attach the fins. Soooooo...there is nothing in a surf fin that would work. I found some "repair" fins that have a flange on either side of the board...like washers and then thru-bolt. However, it seems they are on back order and hopefully will show up soon? :-) I'm not holding my breath.

The second phase, I want to build up some decent rails with a hotcoat, so that I can sharpen the back 8 inches or so.

Then...if I get ambitious, in phase 3 - I'm going to reshape the nose.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
thats sounding pretty sweet :-) whats your reasoning for sharpening the back? i mean the walkers and IS board have round rails?
Old    surfdad            09-13-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
If you check both of the examples you cite, they have some sharpness in the rails in the last 12-18 inches. Just up from the tail. The IS's possibly less so, for mass production issues. TWP's have some tuck. I know that Mike started rolling over the rails - I think in response to "cry babies" :-) complaining about the water stream, but that really compromised the performance in my opinion. Mike is getting lots of input from LOTS of different folks. I'd guess most of it isn't about performance. All of TWP's we own, have sharp rails at the tail.

My thinking for this whole project was to enhance the performance, without having to drop $500 on a new board. I think that I can build the rails for $30, and the fins are about $40 with shipping.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
sounds like a cool idea. i had a guy call the shop today asking about surfing boards and i told him that we have the IS boards and they are leaps and bounds better then hyperlite or LF but they werent cheap when i told him how much he freaked out, but i told him it's worth it :-)

i like a rounded rail in part cause it doesn't catch as easily on 3s but i do like the speed and carving better with a sharp rail.

the LF custom is round in the front and sharp in the back which i like but it's still too slow, they have a thruster dual fin model for 2008 that im interested in checking out
Old    surfdad            09-13-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Is the LF Custom going to have a twin fin configuration for '08? That'll be a huge difference on that board. The design and fin configuration felt at odds to me...that lightweight EPS core like a surfboard and a single fin like a skimmer. I'll bet once folks return from surf expo we'll see pictures of it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-13-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, do you have any hobbies? Man, you’re always coming up with something:-)
Old    surfdad            09-13-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Don't ask me about motorcycles Ed. :-)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
motorcycles huh? what kinda bike you have? :-)

yes LF is gonna have a 4'6"custom with twin fins, i think it will be great, cause i agree that the combo now is weird, its confused on what it wants to be its like a cross dresser, its a surfboard dressed up as a skimmer.

i might buy a 4'2 for cost and send it to you to add some real fins :-)
Old    surfdad            09-15-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Sean, I wish you hadn't. Now, I'm compelled! :-)MC's CURRENTLY we have:

2 - xr 400's
1 kx 250
1 pw 80
1 Custom (chopper) Nighthawk
1 1969 CB 750 K0 (original sand cast cases, first 500 built)
1 Blaster 200
1 xtreme 107

Not really mc's

1 Gas powered dirtboard
1 50 cc goped :-)
1 pocket bike

Sheesh, can't even tell you all the ones we've had over the years. From a 441 Victor (loving called a Victim :-) ) to an original Z1 900.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
lol nice, i wish i had room for all that :-)

i just have a suzuki sv650 but i really wanna get a dirtbike a quad this winter but the wife says no more toys :-(
Old    surfdad            09-29-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
All fixed:

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-29-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
The board had tons more drive. With the various fins that are available for the futures standard rail fins you can really cutomize this board.

I really enjoyed the way this Comp X rode with this modification.

Upload
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-30-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
I just tried 4'10" LF custom today with one non original fin. It was brought directly from Surf Expo stand and it looks and feel strange like surfskim hybrid. I will rather wait with final verdict after I try it with orginial fin. Its funny that you can nearly see thru foam ha ha