Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    1timer            12-08-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
I'm getting ready to install a transom remote (Clarion) on my 2001 Prostar 209. Is there anything to watch out for when drilling a 2" hole in my transom? (Besides keeping it above the water line.) Anybody done this?

Thanks
Old    whitechocolate            12-08-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
I Have done it.
Take your hole saw and drill a sample hole in some wood Make sure the hole is exactley the size you need make it as snug fit as possable. I used an adjstable hole saw because I couldn't find a hole saw that would cut the size for the remote the avaiable sizes cut a sloppy fitting hole. The Hole saw I used has 3 blades and they can be adjusted in or out depending on the size of the hole your trying to make. Believe it or not this would cut a smoother hole than the standard hole saw for plastic/wood. Ya know the one with lots of fine teeth, It cut's a sloppy hole and would chip the gel coat even with tape over the hole you were trying to drill into, So my advice is find the kind ow hole saw Im talking about, And don't install the type of Clarion Remote I have get the newer one. The 02 Remote's wont work with the Newer 03 Clarion's
Old    tommyadrian5            12-08-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
"The Resident Guru(Grant) Speaks"

Grant, is that your first remote or your second. I want to put a transom remote in (clarion) in the spring, but it will be the boat's second on. My head-unit is in the glovebox with a remote on the dash by the instruments. I want to put another remote in on the transom. I know their is a y-splitter for running two remotes. Are you familiar with this. I've been getting confused as to which one to get for my head unit.

And when you say
"The 02 Remote's wont work with the Newer 03 Clarion's"

does that mean that the 03 remotes will work with older clarions. I have whatever cd player came on 99 mastercrafts, it's white and black, seems to be on alot of boats from around those years, but i'm at a loss for the exact model and i ain't anywhere close to the boat.

ps. i think you need to throw a wakeworld party, judging by your pictures, you orchestrate quite a ruckus at all events

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on December 08, 2003)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-08-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Another thing to consider is be sure to locate it in an area where people will not constantly bump it. Get's annoying real fast.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    1timer            12-08-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
Tom,

I've got the Clarion XMD1 that came with my '01 Prostar. It will work with the M101RC or M102RC style remote. You need the M101RYC "Y" cable and the M101RXC extension cable to get to the back of the boat. Super easy to install except for the hole drilling thing, but I think Grant helped me out there.

Clarion makes a M202RET remote that is oval shaped and they say it doesn't work with the XMD1.

I've heard about a newer remote with LCD display but I don't know anything about it.
Old    whitechocolate            12-08-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
Tom I have 2 Remotes, And yes I use the "Y" splitter. I think you can run like 4 remotes Max but Im not totaly sure about it.

The new Clarion head unit's/Cd players use a 9 pin data transfer system, The old ones are 4 pin, It allows the NEW remote's to display text. I.E song titles ect from the head unit. When they made the New 03 Clarions head units with 9 pin it made the older remotes (4 pin)like the ones I have usless. They will plug in and light up but that's it, They will not work with the Newer Clarion's even thought the connectors look the same, So for you people like my self that drilled a 2 inch hole in your Boat your and you want to use the newer Clarion Head unit your screwed your remote's will not work. That is if your not un happy with your older 02 Clarion, I want the New Clarion because it has 3 source imputs CD Aux 1 and Aux 2 so if you ahve a DVD or I pod your In luck the older Clarions only has 1 imput, I will remove my remotes and update the head unit and remotes all at once, Does it ever end?????????
Old    whitechocolate            12-08-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
This is the New Remote Im talking about
Old    norcal_99            12-08-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
I think the transom remotes are cool, but not for me. I want to be in control of the stereo.

Case in point, I have an Excursion with rear stereo controls. While I'm driving and trying to listen to some good classic rock, my kids are always playing with the thing. It drives me crazy. They change the station all the time, turn up and down the volume, etc. I'm even thinking about disconnecting the darn thing.

Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
OK, I have been holding my breath until now, but you folks have touched a nerve and have gotten me spun up.

Why, oh why, does clarion limit their marine line to just 3 models. I have a 99ish unit with the cd changer and remote that I have been wanting to uprgrade, but it seems like my only choice is the
XMD-3 but its an oversize unit...and it costs a mint and doesn't even have MP3 capability.

The "car" models would work perfectly fine for me save for the fact that the marine remotes won't work with them and my deck is on the observer side glove box.

What would be the answer to my prayers would be something like the DXZ635MP. Which basically has everything...Sirius, CD Changer Control, WMA, and MP3. But alas, since its the automotive version...no marine remote hookup.

Ok, done ranting. I now resume my regularly scheduled programming.
Old    whitechocolate            12-08-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
I feel your pain Big Poppa, Clarion will tell you straight up Marine Audio stuff is all 2nd hand tecnolgy handed down from big brother car audio, so car audio gets it frst and then we get it like 3 years later. I think Sony makes a Marine Unit look into that on, They have Marine Remote controls, Just like clarion
Old    hyperryd            12-08-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
Chaun: Check out the Sony head units. DIN size, Mp3 playback, and many remote options, including marine controllers. Their Mp3 changer even has a 12 second buffer so it never skips. The marine remote only needs a 1" hole and two small bolt holes. Just another option. Clarion does make some nice units, they should all talk to eachother.
Rene: The transom remote is to use when parked, not while driving. If someone is playing with the transom remote while driving, just turn sharp and they will go swimming. j/k The transom remote is nice when parked so you aren't stuck to the driver's seat to play music.
Old    norcal_99            12-08-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
It would be cool while swimming around.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
It is cool swimming around, working on the boat, and loading/unloading the boat in the parking lot. I think I use my transom remote more when the boat is out of the water, but it beats climbing in the boat to turn up or down. Worth $100 for the cool factor in my opinion.

If you switch to Sony, you can get everything you are looking for and Marine Remotes you can add. The MP70 or MP80 can be had for about $250 on ebay and you can get the marine remotes for a little over $100 per remote.

Like John said, G shock technology so your cd's never skip, MP3, XM, and more. My only wish would be for a smaller marine remote for the transom. I love the big remote for the driver, but it is a little too big on the back of the boat.
Old    hyperryd            12-08-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
Brent: You could try this remote from Access Technology for Sony decks.http://www.access-tech.net/productsRemoteCom.htm
Old    tommyadrian5            12-08-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thanks Grant, and everybody else, that is exactly what I was wondering (the exact model numbers of the stuff i need), hey grant want to sell me your old remote and cables when you put the new ones on?

I too mainly want it for when we're just hanging out swimming, normally we just float around and drink some frosty's in the water and nobody is in the boat, this should make it easier. Any tips for where to mount one on an MC (i have the same transom as an x-5, x-star, etc.)
Old    whitechocolate            12-08-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
Tom. Ill sell my stuff Drop me a line,' The Head Unit is New less than 5 months old. The Orignal head unit skiped so they gave me a new one I still have the box for it. I have 2 Remotes and all the cables ect.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       12-09-2003, 3:47 AM Reply   
Grant -- you're selling your stuff? Your head unit? What are you replacing it with? I've kind of had a beef with the stock Clarion in my SAN and wouldn't mind looking into something else. And since you're the resident expert!
Old    whitechocolate            12-09-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Yes I want to get a New Clarion head unit, I want to use the 3rd Imput on the New Clarion so that when I have my I-pod pluged in I can use the Remotes to turn up and down the volume. The way its hooked up now I have to use the master volume on the EQ to turn up and down the volume on the I-pod, Its a pain in the ass, While im at it I think Ill just up grade all the remotes, I dont realy have a problem with the clarion stuff. If you have a SAN Then there seems to be only one choice, Because the location of the CD player/raido is in a place where it gets wet very easy, And if anything Clarion seems to have the best waterproof faceplate out there,