Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Post pics of your homemade tower in this thread. I know there is some crazy @#$% out there, lets see it.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
I like the guy on here with the tower with the seats mounted up in it! Looks like a fun place to sit!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
Lord, I apologize, but I just have to be the first one and post this. I'm still not tired of this pic and I'd drink a beer and ride with these dudes anytime. This is the definitive DIY tower

redneck tower
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-16-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
That's my all time favorite DIY tower as well, I've tried to capture projects over the last few years and what I have found are posted at www.diyTower.com
Old    bambamski            06-16-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
Here's a tower I built about 4-5 years ago. It's still the best folding tower I've ever seen. I built it out of 2 inch od Stainless, pretty tough to work with but it was really strong.

I'd never build one again, way too much work and now days you can get a great tower for pretty cheap. The materials only cost me 200 bucks, but back then the cheapest towers were 3000 bucks plus install.

Old    makdadymike            06-16-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
you are an engineer aren't you

lol
that is amazing
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-16-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
very nice, Pat. i built a DIY tower for my old MC PS190 that i can't find a pic of. it was fairly ugly, but very functional.

my current one isn't homemade, but i designed it. i had it built by Skyjac when i used to rep them in '01. it folds almost exactly the same way as yours, except mine splits below the ladder bar in the back legs. i did make the bimini mounts, and modded the bimini a little bit to fit. that's a standard Sunbrella bimini that was like $300. it's 6' long, so it covers almost all the way over the back seat.

quarter
down
detail
Old    bambamski            06-16-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
Big Mike I'm actually mechanically retarded.

That's what I'd tell the wife whenever she wanted something built around the house. When I built the tower I pretty much shot myself in the foot. I've had to build crap around the house ever since... Another reason not to build your own tower!!

Not an engineer, I'm a finance guy.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-16-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
Looked for a few years for the right tower for my boat. Found this old Skylon without the legs for $150.00. So then i had to fab them. Used stainless steel there. Did a little glass work on the underside.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
Just finished it up last week, just need to polish or paint. Total cost 100 bux.
Old    natlchamp2k4            06-23-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
heres the tower i built for my 2000 18' bayliner
boat and truck
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   

Old    wakepirate            06-23-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
damn jamie, i like that bayliner.....looks good
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
Any of you guys want to share you plans.

I have experience welding, but I would need some plans to get started.

Now that all of you guys have built yours would you do it again or would you just buy.

I am looking to buy an Air Nautique 2001 and want a tower for it. Not sure of the best route.

Tanks,

Andrew
Old    natlchamp2k4            06-25-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Ive you have the time, patients, and KNOWLEDGE then I would say go for it. But if I had to do it again I would probably build again. I would use a different stlye, more like something that is on the 24ssv.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I can weld but not tig. If I were to build a tower out of steel instead of aluminum would there be any real disadvantage other than it being heavy when I laid it down. I would powdercoat it either way so I wouldnt think that the finish would really matter.

Thanks
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Andrew check out diytowers.com

and this link that is on there is amazint http://www.inboardtalk.com/tower/tower.html